The Return of MoO - Can Retro Games Follow Suit?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Equityarcade Steve Anderson talks about Master of Orion and what its return may herald.

If Master of Orion can stage a successful comeback, successful by just about any reasonable standard, that might well open up the floodgates for remakes of all sorts of PC games. Consider what a modern-era Phantasmagoria might look like, or a Harvester. There have already been remake efforts around The 7th Guest, otherwise known as The 13th Doll, and a sequel for Psychonauts did pretty well, clearing $3.8 million of a targeted $3.3 million Kickstarter attempt. So why not bring in the older stuff? Surely if the hype around an updated Doom is going well, why not an updated Quake or Marathon? The time could be right for another Maniac Mansion. I'm not suggesting we lose new game development altogether, but we could be at a time when there's so much half-forgotten fodder from the past on hand that we could take advantage of it and bring back some older material with a new coat of paint.

There's room for the renovated old alongside the new, and taking advantage of that could be just what we need to really light a fire under the gaming market. Today, Master of Orion, tomorrow...a new Star Control? You don't need the Book of Now and Forever to know that would be a welcome return.
More information.

Errrr, there have been heaps of "returns" of retro games in the last 4-5 years. Wasteland2, Bt4, Xcom, Monkey island special edition, Gabriel Knight etc. Day of the tenacle is already getting a remastered edition in the next few months and Psychonauts is certainly NOT a retro game...

Errrr, there have been heaps of "returns" of retro games in the last 4-5 years. Wasteland2, Bt4, Xcom, Monkey island special edition, Gabriel Knight etc. Day of the tenacle is already getting a remastered edition in the next few months and Psychonauts is certainly NOT a retro game…

I think the author is talking about AAA companies taking an interest in retro games. The MoO guys are responsible for world of tanks after all.

I think the author is talking about AAA companies taking an interest in retro games. The MoO guys are responsible for world of tanks after all.

Ubisoft with Might and Magic X.

The problem with AAA studios taking an interesting in anything, is they make big bets and expect big returns. Retro games aren't really going to provide that. Also, MoO isn't technically done yet and it's success at this point is not known.

I agree, although Ubisoft I thought hit the balance about right with Might and Magic X, so there must be scope for AAA companies to gain from 'budget' retro titles.

I have been thinking a fair amount lately about Psi 5 Trading Company. Did anyone here play that game? I still remember it vividly, and considering I have completed over 430 games (yes, I am geeky enough that I keep a list), that's saying something. I would love to see that game remade. Here is a link to info about it: http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/psi-5-trading-co

I always chose Yenx as my navigation officer - he steered the ship with his nose...

I'm betting good games like Krondor could be good all over again, with the right people behind them. Personally I would just hope that it would be an indie group that would be redoing classic games, and keep them away from Ubi or EA.

I'm betting good games like Krondor could be good all over again, with the right people behind them. Personally I would just hope that it would be an indie group that would be redoing classic games, and keep them away from Ubi or EA.

That is my wish as well. Unfortunately a lot of old ip is owned by the likes of EA and Ubisoft.

When the watch first started I wrote my opinion piece on mining retro games for ideas when genres had barely began to be invented caused stagnation.

I think from a marketing perspective retro names have clearly been a success in this Crowded Age of RPG's. If the games haven't been all they promised (which I predicted), by any measure its far better to gamble with other pieces money when the only thing you have to pay back is a promise.

Back
Top Bottom