PoE Patch 1.03

Pillars of Eternity

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
In high hopes I'm not falling for an April fool again when quoting patch notes: here are the tentative patch notes for 1.03.

So it seems like the major problems with stat changes will be fixed, even retroactively. :)

Yet some of us still won't be able to switch out party members or use the 2nd floor of Brighthollow (which both seem to be related to the same issue - removing Kana from the party with certain chants active).

They're spending every dime you spent on the game, trying to fix that error, Fluent.

Yeah, I rephrased it.

So, since I didn't spend any money on the game, I don't have a right to expect a working game without gamebreaking bugs? Great logic there, 'nut. :lol:

Correct. You don't work, you don't eat. Same thing with games. You don't pay, you can't complain. That is very logical.

Well, I disagree. If I hadn't gotten a free preview copy, I would have purchased the game.

Maybe I should send them the asking price of the game so I can obtain a proper L.T.C. (License To Complain). :lol:

If you do that, print the receipt and I'll read every post of yours about the game :D

I spent $140 on the game and had a game killing bug, but a week isn't enough time to squash bugs in a long game; maybe in the free games like Candy Crush. I'll survive while they iron them out. Now, if we're still here in 3 months discussing these same bugs, I'll be ready to storm Irvine with great malice.

Well, we all knew Obsidian's past record. But at least they have more motivation to fix their bugs this time around (I Hope), because I really like the game so far. I also hope it ends on more than a worthwhile note.

I don't mind giving them some time to fix the bugs. I really don't. My issues right now are:

a) Going by the Obsidian forum, the game has a TON of bugs. Too many for a newly released game, if you ask me.

And b) the constant patching and changing of core elements in the game up to a week before release and even post-release. Now, the manual and strategy guides are obsolete, and Obsidian seems completely happy to just continue tweaking things ad infinitum.

So, when will this game be cooked thoroughly enough to play? :thinking:

Have you played ToEE, Arcanum, FNV? Alpha Protocol? These are the same folks who made those games. They're all still broke to greater and lesser degrees. This game will never be bug free, the biggest ones should be fixed though.

Yes, they should. Preferably, before the game is released. :)

Of course, new issues will pop up when tens of thousands of gamers are playing the game, so feel free to fix those issues as they arise.

But please, please, PLEASE. Can we have an RPG whose content and balance is pretty much done on release day? Why is Josh and crew continuing to change the balance?

It all just gives me a feeling that the game in it's current state is incomplete. :thinking:

I think they LIKE to fiddle and tweak. It's actually a sign of genius to do that. But it makes for very unhappy consumers…. :)

Now dragon age has tons of bugs too. Lots and lots of them. But that community is more casual and cares more about plastic hair than meaningful gameplay.

You're absolutely right, Thrasher. It is a sign of genius to tweak things. I know a lot about that from the times when I make music. You can literally tweak a song for days and days on end. But here's the thing. It's also a sign of genius to know when to say "This is done, this is complete and I'm moving on".

I had a rule with my music. I spent about an hour or so making a track, tweaking it a bit during that time, and then completely finishing it. After that, there would be no more tweaking. Even artists I worked with, when they wanted something different in the track, well, they were out of luck, because I wouldn't save the components to the track, and I would never allow anyone to further tweak my song.

It was how I wanted my art to be. I would quickly finish a song and move on to the next.

I also had an uncanny amount of work done this way and was very prolific there for a few years. Much more than I would have been if I greatly pored over every minute detail.

I had the ability to get the song to sound exactly like I wanted it to in the short time it took me to write it, and then I'd move on, often making several tracks in one day.

Could I have tweaked each one for days, weeks on end? Sure. But that's not how I wanted to work.

Tweaking is fine, but you have to also know when enough is enough. I think when you set a release date, you need to stick to that and let that be your cut-off date for tweaking things. If you can't meet the release date because the game isn't ready, then push it back. But I don't agree with releasing the game and then continuing to tweak like this. It just makes me feel the game is incomplete and I should perpetually wait for that last tweak to happen so I can finally start a new game. *sigh*

Yeah, I know how you feel. Which is why I haven't played D:OS yet, even though I was a very early original backer. :)

I'm just going to go with it. It's sort of a Mr. Toad's Wild ride. If I get a gamebreaking bug, I may restart, or move on and wait for stabilization (if it ever happens). ;)

That's crazy that you're still waiting to play D:OS! Just proves my point. :D

For the universe's sake, just call your game finished already! :lol:

LOL I played D:OS like a couple of weeks after it was released and played it complete, enjoyed the hell out of it. Sure there were balance issues, like some OP abilities that were later toned down, but that happened like within 2 months of release. Waiting beyond that is just OCNPS (Obsessive Compulsive Nit Picker Syndrome).

Back
Top Bottom