The Top RPGs of the Decade @ RPGamer

Valkyria Chronicles seems to be highly regarded by just about everyone who's played it. It was one of the first games I bought when I got my PS3 in Jan, but I haven't really had time to play it yet. Perhaps I have something to look forward to.

What's a week without another list? RPGamer has their Top RPGs of the Decade. This group of five looks nothing like mine but that's what lists are all about. Fallout 3, Dragon Age, WoW, Final Fantasy X and *drumroll*, Persona 3 get the nod.
More information.

Persona deserves the spot... though I would have gone with Persona 4.
And not sure I would have chosen an MMORPG.

BG2 is of this decade, isn't it? If so, it should be a clear nr 1 in my opinion. I'd also place Gothic in 2nd place, but I am well aware most wouldn't do the same. A matter of taste.

That's right.

My list would probably be (in no particular order):

Persona 4
Baldur's Gate 2
ES III: Morrowind
Divine Divinity
Arcanum

Runners up after these messages...

Is Persona for the PC ?

Valkyria Chronicles seems to be highly regarded by just about everyone who's played it. It was one of the first games I bought when I got my PS3 in Jan, but I haven't really had time to play it yet. Perhaps I have something to look forward to.

I've played it until the point I was drowned in new characters to choose from. It does seem to have a competent level of depth and I really should delve deeper into its systems one day when I have the time. It's a nice mix of 3D turn-based shooting and strategy.

Considering how bad the list could be, it's not that bad. In fact, though my list would be different, I can see the strength in those titles. I guess the author's or the site's gameplay style is similar to my own.
I would have differed with WoW, as I don't think any MMO can compete in RPGness with any single player RPG. Maybe SW:TOR could do it, as it's lauded almost as a single player RPG you play with other people… we'll see. Also, Diablo 2 and Mass Effect would definitely not be in the list.

umm. after the the top 5, of the remaining 15 only 2 were PC games (although a couple were ported over). Still, it was an interesting list and reading their game descriptions made me want to check out some of the console games. And as the console guys get older and older, more and more top game lists are going to look like this. Oh, well, at least their playing some kind of RPGs.

Back
Top Bottom