Has anyone tried Brigade E5? (Jagged alliance clone)

bjon045

SasqWatch
No, it's NOT an RPG :)

Brigade E5: New Jagged Union puts you in control of a group of up to six mercenaries. This tactical RPG allows you to explore modern-day Palinero, s small war-torn tropical state in desperate need of order. As Mercenaries, your hand-picked team will be out to make some money... and there is plenty of money to be made in Palinero. Along the way, you may find that for someone with the right instincts and talents, there is more than money to be found in Palinero... there is power.

I guess I will find out in the next week or two if it is what they say it is.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/brigadee5newjaggedunion

Seems to have a high user vote but low score from the professional reviewers.

Most times an imbalance between reviews and fan scores means either the game is very niche in appeal or there is a strong fanboy presence.

I think that the game looks interesting in a squad-based way, I might grab a look ...

This game is originally made from JA-Fans for JA-Fans.

Old graphic engine, cool fights, not the very best interface, bad (into german) translation.

But the JA-feeling is there and I'll give it a try - it is available on EBay already.

Last edited:
This game is originally from JA-Fans for JA-Fans.

Old graphic engine, cool fights, not the very best interface, bad (into german) translation.

But the JA-Feeling is there and I'll give it a try - it is available on EBay already.

Cool - then scores shouldn't matter :)

JA2 is the best game of all time. Just so you know where I'm coming from.

E5 was fun but disappointing. Surprisingly, the smart pause combat system works great. You can configure it very granularly to your liking, and people who dismiss the game out of hand just because it's real time are cheating themselves. The complete lack of AI for your team does get frustrating; your guys can't so much as remember to keep shooting at an enemy who drops out of sight for even a moment. You'll see what I'm talking about. But that's not a game breaker. And shooting at people is always fun.

So the combat is pretty good, and the enormous selection of guns and attachments is wonderful. It's the CRPG part that really fails. Character advancement is meaningless, even basic skills like medical and mechanical have no tangible effect on gameplay. And there's no income; you don't take over the map sector by sector, you just zip around wherever you please having no effect on the game world. Also, at the default setting the game is frustratingly tight with money; guns sell for very little, delivery quests pay very little, med kits cost a lot, and if you hire a single merc, you're going to have a very hard time ever affording your truck. And you need that truck. Enabling Easy Money, a game option, overcompensates and leads to vast wealth, making you feel like you're cheating.

The translations are embarrassing, but that's no biggie because no one really has anything to say. The mercs don't have nearly so wide an array of dialogue as in JA2, and there are fewer of them.

The game's been out for a while, and the developer is just not patching it at all. I hate that.

But it's a fun game, if only because slowly upgrading your team's guns and shooting lots of people is inherently fun. I'm just frustrated they didn't go further in ripping of JA2. They ripped off the feel, but completely failed to rip off the gameplay.

The game's been out for a while, and the developer is just not patching it at all. I hate that.

Maybe they should hire out Pirhana Bytes, hear they're looking for work ... oops, wrong thread ... ;)

Already tried that.

Played Jagged Alliance (won twice) + deadly games (won core campaign once, didn't like it much).
Played Jagged Alliance 2 (won 3 times - one was with 1.13) + UB (won 2 times) + Wildfire (won once)

I am a bit of a Jagged Alliance fan. Expecting E5 to turn up sometime this week.

I am playing Silent Storm at the moment but it is really pissing me off with visibility issues. I can walk my SCOUT character right next to an enemy, I will even be facing the same direction and a single square away and they still won't be revealed - I press "end turn" and the enemy fires his submachine gun at me on full-auto and I am dead but at least he is finally revealed.....The only time visibility seems to work for me is if the enemy has a "ear" above them when they are not in view (i.e. your character thinks someone might be there).

Yea, I tried the demo for Silent Storm, just not as good as Jag 2.

Back
Top Bottom