Wasteland 2 - Director's Cut Ready to Go

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Wasteland 2: Director's Cut has passed some milestones on it's way to a October 13 release (NA) and October16 release for the rest of the world.

We come to you now with what may be one of our last couple of updates before the release of Wasteland 2 Director's Cut on PC and consoles! Over the last few weeks, we’ve hit some great milestones on the way to the Director’s cut release, including passing certification for both Microsoft and Sony. This gives our retail distribution partner, Deep Silver, enough time to manufacture and ship copies of the game all over the globe, prior to our release date (October 13th in North America and October 16th for the rest of the world).

The certification process with console manufacturers is required before either Microsoft or Sony will feel comfortable that the software follows a series of standards. While not glamourous, they are meant to ensure that games will uniformly handle a large list of issues that players might encounter while enjoying games on their consoles. This process is quite stressful (as attention to detail is imperative), but always feel like a nice accomplishment when you get the approval email. High fives were most definitely in order on approval day.
More information.

Why make us wait 2 months, if everything is ready to print and ship?

There is no reason not to release it on PC other then they are keeping it back to coincide with console releases to ensure they don't lose sales.

When I finally got around to playing my signed CE, the GotY edition was announced, so I shelved it. Same thing with Divinity OS; I played about a third or so, and then the enhanced edition was announced. Looking forward to both, but I wish they were ready now… Fallout 4 drops in November.

I remember a time when RPGs were few a far between. Like a junkie, I'd plow through them in marathon gaming sessions and go through rpg withdrawal for months while waiting for the next one. I used to say that I've played every PC RPG released in North America, most to completion, and some multiple times. But now, with the Kickstarter fueled resurgence of role playing games, I'm having a hard time keeping up… Too much of a good thing, I guess.

Haha I feel ya Vindicator. It's a good thing though to be in that position.

This is cool, right? But the thing is, combat in the first release was crazy-imbalanced, and those imbalances have mostly persisted rather than being fixed. Now inXile is complicating the game with new systems on top of the ones they already failed to balance. I'm genuinely looking forward to this DC, especially since I (like Vindicator) shelved my playthrough of the vanilla version when this was announced, but I'm not confident it'll be any better balanced than the base version.

I don't really care about balance in single player games. There are always exploits depending on how hard you want to look for them. I'd rather just roleplay. Multi-player games are different. It's all about balance.

Last edited:
When I finally got around to playing my signed CE, the GotY edition was announced, so I shelved it. Same thing with Divinity OS; I played about a third or so, and then the enhanced edition was announced. Looking forward to both, but I wish they were ready now… Fallout 4 drops in November.

I remember a time when RPGs were few a far between. Like a junkie, I'd plow through them in marathon gaming sessions and go through rpg withdrawal for months while waiting for the next one. I used to say that I've played every PC RPG released in North America, most to completion, and some multiple times. But now, with the Kickstarter fueled resurgence of role playing games, I'm having a hard time keeping up… Too much of a good thing, I guess.

First world problems™.

I don't really care about balance in single player games. There are always exploits depending on how hard you want to look for them. I'd rather just roleplay.

There's a difference between taking advantage of "exploits" and encountering such crazy mechanical imbalances that the game's verisimilitude is undermined.

Back
Top Bottom