Why do people that ?

There has been a shooting in south Germany.
A teenager killed 17 people.

Also a major shooting in Alabama today, the worst in it's history. A 28 year old man killed 10 people + himself. His mother, grandmother, uncle and two cousins were among the victims.

Very sad, 2 things like this happening on the same day.

*Edit* Apparently the Alabama shooting was yesterday, the news broke this morning.

School shootings used to happen a lot in the US, but not so much now... but I guess it's spreading to other countries?

Kids more and more today don't seem to understand how to deal with their problems. And on top of that we seem to want to insist on children being adults earlier and earlier.

I blame Doom.

The news say that

- he was clothed entirely in black
- he possibly had weapons from his father, who legally owned them
- he mostly killed female pupils from his school
- he had been known as a "silent outsider"
- he wasn't shot by the police, but he seemingly killed himself

I'll watch the TV news this evening, and I'm curious what they'll say about it.

Sounds exactly like our two school shooters, except that they got their guns entirely on their own, and completely legally. What an awful waste.

Don't forget they said he pplayed violent videos games, like always

Nothing this guy could have been thinking could possibly have made any real sense, so you have to wonder about his influences. In his case shooters may have been a bad idea.

I imagine a lot of folks are going to take a hard look at his life, trying to figure out what went wrong. Until that's done, it's anyone's guess as to what made him snap.

My currently favourite theory:

This kind of thing is caused by an extreme version of Alienation Syndrome combined with feelings of utter lack of control over their own life. The person feels that literally the only way they have of getting any attention from a society that doesn't even reject them but rather seems completely oblivious and impersonal to them is to MAKE society notice them. Usually this means forcing those they feel were most oblivious to take notice - a sort of 'PAY ATTENTION!' written in blood. In this way, they are empowering themselves and forcing society to acknowledge their existence - two things they feel they have never had. For most if not all, it is intended to be a final act. The perception of their own lives as being utterly pointless, empty and thus of no value is the final part of the equation.

The reason why so many speak of their plans beforehand is simply that they hope someone - anyone - will take them seriously enough to pay attention to them and treat them as if they matter.

The shootist has been in an hospital or so because of his depressions.
He seems to have had severe problems with his self-esteem/self-consciousness.
Plus, it seems that pupils have been harassing him (what I know as "mobbing").

Back
Top Bottom