Fallout 4 - Bethesda Tries to Release Uncut German Version

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Bethesda's Pete Hines posted on his Twitter account that Bethesda has the intention to release an uncut German Fallout 4.

I hope they're more successful in this endeavor than before. So far all Fallouts except for the New Vegas Ultimate Edition were 'low violence versions' in Germany.

More information.

Not to mention that a lot of mods simply don't work on the German versions; would be good if they can pull it off.

Never bought german versions for a long time (Oblivion was one of the last games I tried to play in german - extremely bad). Too many translation errors, cuts, etc. Always playing in english now and ordering uncut AT or US versions.

The problem with the german cut version of NV was also that it did not include the ability to switch to other languages. You were stuck with the German one.

I didnt even realise that the previous games had had their violence levels cut, not did I realise that the German populace were so again on gamescreen violence.

Kinda reminds me of the no FO3 in India because of the Brahmin and Megaton issue in Japan's version of FO3.

Everyone knows that the Germans are a gentle and kind people who abhor violence of any sort.

Then why do the Greeks think they are getting thumb screwed by the Germans?

Why bother? If they don't release it, then there'll be a greater uproar - meaning the chance for a change from this incredibly stupid restriction will be higher.

If it was up to me, I'd create an entirely separate version which was severely watered down - and let the reaction speak for itself.

If it was up to me, I'd create an entirely separate version which was severely watered down - and let the reaction speak for itself.

They tried this way during the last 30 years. Didn't work.

They tried this way during the last 30 years. Didn't work.

It didn't work because Germans were happy with sanitized versions or because they simply switched to uncensored ones?

Did my codextroll alarm go broke? It's yelling like crazy.

Anyway…
A couple to mention are Fallout 2 where was impossible to get childkiller perk (children removed from the game) and The Stick of Truth with censored swastika.

Everyone already knows what I feel about censoring, but I'll repeat it again. Censoring and censorship is the worst possible thing in modern civilization that stops or prevents artists to express. Censorers are parasytes who are paid for nothing with our taxmoney.
There is obscure or maybe I should say cult german comics postapoc series titled Andrax made by Peter Wiechmann. In one episode he deals with censorship idiocy by creating a world where circle shaped objects are banned because a circle shaped "demon" exists, which is actually a nuke. Of course, there is also Van Gogh's descendant who out of protest makes painting that contain circles. Etc, can't remember the exact episode title, I have the comic somewhere but can't dive among my old "trash" now, sorry*. What I want to say, artists hate censorship. Pasionattely.

Sadly, it's not just Germany with strict censorship problem.
Recently Kotaku reported that only this year 200 games were banned in Australia.
Also a reminder that in India, Dragon Age Inquisition is banned.

Today, we deal with censorship by making gamers for gamers mods. That remove censor blur (for example in Sims) or add the lacking data (for example adding children back mod for german FO2). Gamers in India probably play cracked DA:I. etc.

IMO censoring the content has a negative effect on the market and overall economy, and as such has to stop.

What needs to be censored/banned is not the "disturbing" content, hell, it's games, digital dolls, virtual worlds we're talking about here, not reality. Instead of censoring the art, these things IMO should be censored/banned or taxed with 90% at least:
- pay2win games
- virtual currency based games
- gambling falsely advertised as videogames

Fallout4 won't be any of those three and this Bethesda's move is awsome. But even if it doesn't pass, if happens it's impossible to make it in the end, modders will come to the rescue.

———————————————
* google saves the day, I think it's this one, although the cover of my (localized) issue was completely different:
http://www.amazon.de/Andrax-5-Gnadenlose-Peter-Wiechmann/dp/3936480796

Last edited:
Or they've just pre-censored all versions to something they think the respective German regulatory agency would readily accept.

Whatever they did, I bet one of first 3rd party content will be nudity mods.

Whatever they did, I bet one of first 3rd party content will be nudity mods.
Boobs are in. This is Europe!
Or they've just pre-censored all versions to something they think the respective German regulatory agency would readily accept.
This happens quite frequently with movies. Many films are cut to the lowest common denominator to reach a certain PEGI rating. This is usually the UK censorship office. It usually demands that certain ninja weapons cannot be used and horses cannot stumble in westerns, etc. All other PEGI countries get these changes for free.
So if you PEGI guys ever want to watch an uncut Pulp Fiction, just import the German version. ;)

It didn't work because Germans were happy with sanitized versions or because they simply switched to uncensored ones?

Because the government doesn't give a shit what a few thousand geeks think when the mental well-being of our children is at stake. Playing killer games creates mass murderers! And if you don't believe this you're obviously biased!

Why was DAI banned in India? That game was offensively unoffensive. Last time I was there I kicked a cow to see what would happen, barely got out of there alive:p.

Apparently because of explicit samesex scenes and sex scenes with a horned (cowlike? lol) creature. I mean, Iron Bull's name is what. Imagine a scene with him naked where he'd tell you "you can't milk those".

I know those are optional game content many probably wouldn't even see, especially if a player couldn't care less for "romances" thus censorsing a game because of it is a bit harsh, but you can't explain that to India censors.

Ah…that explains it. Strange…I would have thought, they would have no problems with cow, I mean bull romances there:). Surprising you could not romance your horse in DAI. Bioware is a truly progressive developer, well ahead of it's time, if you ask me. Can't wait to see our romance options in ME4. Supposedly it takes place in another galaxy and there must be some weird shit going on down there:p.

Last edited:
Unless they want another ban, that won't be any creature with horns. :D
Nor would hold a suspicious name, for example Milka.

I was always a bit disappointed you could not romance an Elcor in Mass Effect. That way, you get a portable battering ram, a romance companion, and a mount, all-in-one. What more could you ask for, eh?

Back
Top Bottom