The Technomancer - Review Roundup

Currently on Steam:
37 Recommended
2 Not Recommended

pretty darn good

__

This is what I'm seeing.

Positive (152) Negative (69)

Not great, but still 68% positive, or 7/10. Looks like it started receiving better reviews since last night.

This is what I'm seeing.

Positive (152) Negative (69)

Not great, but still 68% positive, or 7/10. Looks like it started receiving better reviews since last night.

I stand corrected. :)

Will probably give it a try.

__

...I think I'll wait for a sale. I never finished Mars: War Logs. I spent a fair bit of time, but the environments eventually looked very samey and dull, and most fights ended up being similar too. And often somewhat overwhelming (with useless side-kicks). Perhaps I just didn't invest enough time to master it, but with so many other games I really wanted to play, it wasn't accorded that much game time. If this is largely the same - but with better graphics - I don't feel inclined to rush out and spend $'s (or ZAR's in my case...which are considerably less useful!)

A honest question.
How come no reviewer shows their game achievements ever. Because achievements suck. I agree those suck but this is about reviewers' credibility.
I would love to see how many of those reviewers achieved "finished game" and "finished at least 20 sidequests".
Bad games are bad from the beginning and no endgame can cover up a messy introduction and lenghty center part. If you're upset by the gameplay from the beginning, in almost every case it's going to suck until the end. If a story fails to catch you from the start, the last two hours normally won't heal that disapointment. So you don't necessarily have to play a game right until the end to have an opinion. Normally the opposite is true. After some hours, almost everyone has an opinion and is only going to modify it slightly until the end. Also, from all the people who play a game (and that's not even the same number of people who bought it) not even a third will ever see the end sequence.

Bad games are bad from the beginning and no endgame can cover up a messy introduction and lenghty center part. If you're upset by the gameplay from the beginning, in almost every case it's going to suck until the end. If a story fails to catch you from the start, the last two hours normally won't heal that disapointment. So you don't necessarily have to play a game right until the end to have an opinion. Normally the opposite is true. After some hours, almost everyone has an opinion and is only going to modify it slightly until the end. Also, from all the people who play a game (and that's not even the same number of people who bought it) not even a third will ever see the end sequence.

Understand what you are saying and it could be right in some instances. However in many instances the logic is off the mark because of the learning curve.

Particularly with games requiring skills, understanding of how UI functions; how game progression works, etc., there can be a significant learning curve during which a game is frustrating, but after which a game can be great fun, almost as though the game is a totally different game than what was played originally.

Some games have long tutorials due to the learning curve.

An investment of time and effort to learn ins and outs of a mentally and/or physically complex game can pay off big time as player continues playing the game.

Penning a review after only a short of even medium use of game simply isn't fair to the game, or to gamers who might actually enjoy game after passing through learning curve.

__

As for the scores I'd guess most are right. I played and enjoyed of Orc and men, Mars: war logs and bound by flame but I would say they were all average games. So a 5 on a true 1-10 doesn't surprise me at all.

I get what you're saying, but, in the world of gaming, a 5 on a scale of 1-10 isn't considered average by most people. I'd say that's pretty damn shitty. :)

That said, I've only played Mars: War Logs, and that's definitely not a 5 imo. I'd say around a 7.

You know, you guys got me thinking. Mars War Logs is on sale for 3.49 right now on the Steam sale.

Probably better. You can get:

Bound By Flame
Faery - Legends of Avalon
Mars: War Logs
Of Orcs And Men

All of them for 12.49.

I think I will do the latter package and check some of them out.

Wasn't this game in the top most anticipated games of 2016? The reviews are mediocre at best on Steam, I would say 5/10.

I'd say your statement is misleading. You're not considering the time played. Most of the negative reviews are from people who've played the game anywhere from 24 min, 0.8 hr, to 1.5 hr, at most. Whereas the positive reviews are from people with at least 3 hr. in-game. That says a lot, I think, and shouldn't be overlooked. Still, I'm not sure I want to spend $40 on the game.

I get what you're saying, but, in the world of gaming, a 5 on a scale of 1-10 isn't considered average by most people. I'd say that's pretty damn shitty. :)

That said, I've only played Mars: War Logs, and that's definitely not a 5 imo. I'd say around a 7.

Eh, I disagree...it had a premise and an interesting setting, but didn't really accomplish anything with it.
From what I've seen here, it seems they realized that...architecture, factions, atmosphere/music to extent does a lot better job at conveying themes of the game.
War Logs was just...whole lot of brown and ramshacks.

Eh, I disagree…it had a premise and an interesting setting, but didn't really accomplish anything with it.
From what I've seen here, it seems they realized that…architecture, factions, atmosphere/music to extent does a lot better job at conveying themes of the game.
War Logs was just…whole lot of brown and ramshacks.

Yeah.. that's why I'd only give it a 7. It's not like that's a great score.

I agree. Surely, you shouldn't write a review professionaly without spending a good amount of time in a game, but I don't think completing a bad lenghty game is necessary. You just need to have a good overview, that includes perceiving the learning curve, maybe at least some 1/2 of the main story (or some 15-20 hours in one of those gigantic RPGs). I don't review games professionally, but that's my methodology for forming an opinion about bad games (that aren't so bad I want to never play they again after 2hrs, but then I generally don't talk much about them).

I tried "Dave's BBQ" sauce "Wilbur's Revenge" last night *just* for the experience.

If the Technomancer doesn't give me firehole (fire-body, really) for 24 hours it's already a better purchase than my BBQ delivery last night. Even if it does nothing else except *not* hurt my whole body in transit.

:)

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Back
Top Bottom