Risen - Report #3 @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A few days since the last but Alec Meer has finally posted Part 3 of his Risen diary / review. In this installment, he reaches Harbour Town and discovers that special thing about a Piranha Bytes game:
Risen’s initial couple of hours showed its cracks too openly. When your entire picture of the game and its character hinges on some short, please-go-here-next conversations with just a couple of thinly-sketched, clumsily-animated NPCs, you fixate on them a little too much. Is this the best this game can do? But when you’re – oh, let’s drop this second-person pretence – when I’m in a town, there’s a sort of gentle sensory overload. Purely by dint of sheer volume of people, the place seems that much more real. The animation’s patchy and a few of the voices misfire, but suddenly the game’s full of movement and noise and faces and objectives and incidental scenery and chickens I can kill without the guards arresting me. The place visibily breathes.
More information.

"please go here"?!

yea, right. everyone in risen is so polite that it should be recommended to everyone. even to nuns. who will see a polite lines when you don't return the golden sword to the smith (oscar). he will say "please, go here, and return me that sword. pretty please". only... it'll hapen perhaps in this reviewer's dream.

I hate when someone who obviously didn't play the game writes a review based on some rumors or whatever.

Eh, I think you missunderstood the text. Its really not focusing on if the npcs are behaving in a nice manner or not. I definetively think he has played the game due to the descriptions he makes. Killable chickens etc.

I hate when someone who obviously didn't read the whole review writes a comment on a forum based on some rumors or whatever.

Oracle's Cave, if you expect me to read everything except Dhruin's "cut", you must be joking.
The first sentence "Risen’s initial couple of hours showed its cracks too openly." was enough for me to judge the review as another idiocy.

Go read other reviews from that person, I'm sure you'll bless them all. I won't. Not in this lifetime for sure.

It's not a review, it's the third part of a diary of his game. You're just making a fool of yourself, joxer.

I hate when someone who obviously didn't read the whole review writes a comment on a forum based on some rumors or whatever.

I mean this in the most non-confrontational way. But you're doing the very thing I despise that many reveiwers do, especially with RPGs, is review them only after a few hours of play... you have to read an entire review to be eligiable to criticize it.

Back
Top Bottom