I'm new to online RPGs. Some questions about Warhammer Online.

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hi,

Last weekend when I was browsing in the electronic shop I came across with Warhammer Online Collector's Edition. I know every single single player RPG out there and played nearly all of them, but I know next to nothing about MMORPGs. So, this package was very cheap, 40 TL (nearly 25 $), my curiosity bested me and I bought it. It came with a heavy package with high quality manufactured artbook and comic book, also contains a Warhammer miniature and a mousepad.

And plus the game of course. :) So I decided to give it a try. Since 3 years passed since the release, EU servers were closed in that process, it took a bit of an effort to connect to the right servers.

Anyway I'm installing the 9 gb mega patch right now and want to ask you what should I expect from the game. I'm a total stranger to MMORPGs, haven't played Wow, Everquest or Ultima Online. I heard that online games are somewhat weak on story. But are the quests immersive and entertaining enough to keep me hooked to the game? Or they're simply 'hey hello, go fetch me 10 rabbit furs, by the way nice to meet you' style? Does Warhammer Online present interesting places to explore (I love free roaming in my RPG)? If you wil provide me some answers I will be appreciated.

By the way, I always love the art style of Warhammer world, a mix between cartoon feeling and dark atmosphere. Artbook has beautiful illustrations, so even the game is totally crap I think I did the right thing with buying it.

Warhammer is mainly centered around player-vs-player combat. I tried it out a little but it wasn't a game for me. I like dungeon- and raid-centric MMOs better. Questing is the standard fetch/kill thing. The zones are pretty small too so there's less exploring to be had. My own reference is the classic World of Warcraft world though. Every MMO I've tried since have always disappointed in regard to free roaming. Older MMOs probably have bigger worlds though with less fidelity.

In general you should always try and team up with some buddies when playing MMOs. Some can be pretty demotivating playing alone.

Last edited:
hishadow;1061061325T said:
The zones are pretty small too so there's less exploring to be had. My own reference is the classic World of Warcraft world though. Every MMO I've tried since have always disappointed in regard to free roaming.

If you're looking for free-roaming, I'd try out EQ2 - the world is simply massive and there are no restrictions on travel. Figuring out dungeons and the lore behind them is a massive hoot as well.

Thanks for the answers. I'm going to try it right now (I couldn't find the time to do so). If I won't like it it's no big deal. I look the game more like an extra that comes with a nice Warhammer trinkets anyway. :)

If you're looking for free-roaming, I'd try out EQ2 - the world is simply massive and there are no restrictions on travel. Figuring out dungeons and the lore behind them is a massive hoot as well.
I tried it early on but didn't like it. After World of Warcraft I can't say I'm fond of instanced worlds. It works in singleplayer games, but when I play a MMO I want a big shared open world. None of the latest MMOs like Age of Conan and Warhammer Online had that. Rift is the latest having an open world but its small size kinda broke the illusion (+ other issues). Next game I'll try out is SW:TOR where they've promised each planets zone to be shared and open. Seems very singleplayer turned multiplayer-like though and I don't expect it to cater to an older crowd.

@Gokyabgu: These games a pretty cheap and most will give you a decent amount of gaming hours. Most of the new MMOs I've tried have lasted a month, but for me that's disappointing because I want something that can keep me busy for atleast a year.

Last edited:
Question of a newbie (me) : How is Guild Wars ? Is this rather a PvP game or more focused on free-roaming ?

Guild Wars is a little more like traditional multiplayer games. You can venture out into different land areas with a small group of people and do quests (loading screen when switching areas). You won't meet other people there, so its kinda like a private dungeon. The quests are a little more involved than standard mmos. There are a few city hub areas where you can see and team up with other players.

I played it a little with friends in 2005. It has pretty graphics but the gameplay wasn't that involved. Funny thing, we choose to play it over WoW because it looked more akind to Baldur's Gate which we've played for a long time. After a week or two into the game it got extremely boring, compared to what we where experienced to in Baldur's Gate. Some other friends invited us to play WoW so we tried it out. 2-5 years later we got bored of that too.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom