Alpha Protocol - Review Mini Roundup

I thought I made clear that I was simply talking about how it seems to be shaping up, not about how the game is (since I still haven't played), sorry if that wasn't clear.

I don't care what you think about such basic and obvious statement I made and you quote. If you feel aimed that's your problem... what a weird question you have. :rolleyes:

I don't care what you think about such basic and obvious statement I made and you quote. If you feel aimed that's your problem… what a weird question you have. :rolleyes:

I don't know if feeling aimed would constitute a big problem, but it certainly sounds unpleasant ;)

Anyway - if you feel unable to direct your statements at anyone, I will have to dismiss them as unimportant.

Yeah for sure none of my post is important… I didn't knew any of your was. :biggrin:

Honestly I'm wondering if the people complaining about the technical issues and bugs are playing the same game I am. I'm playing on PC and I haven't seen a single bug yet, and the game runs very smoohtly as well.

This is by far Obsidian's most polished released yet, and since I've seen it mentionend it's in no way comparable to Vampire Bloodlines' released mess (but then you can't beat a game which requires you to activate triggers and teleport with the console to advance :p)

-Sergorn

I'm inclined to agree. I can see some of the polish complaints (graphical stuff, some animations, occasionally wonky AI) but as far as bugs go? Very, very little.

Honestly I'm wondering if the people complaining about the technical issues and bugs are playing the same game I am. I'm playing on PC and I haven't seen a single bug yet, and the game runs very smoohtly as well.

This is by far Obsidian's most polished released yet, and since I've seen it mentionend it's in no way comparable to Vampire Bloodlines' released mess (but then you can't beat a game which requires you to activate triggers and teleport with the console to advance :p)

-Sergorn

I'm not far enough in to say categorically but I agree so far. PC vs console, perhaps? I've seen people talking about "PS2 graphics", models floating 10' in the air etc etc...I'm not seeing any of this. It runs very well on my aging system (way better than I had hoped for), looks quite OK (no, not cutting edge but not terrible), animation is a bit stiff but not that bad and nothing I'd call "buggy". Quite a smooth ride so far.

It's exceptionally smooth for me as well, running at the highest settings. No bugs so far.

But what about the design bugs like possibly boring or too difficult mini games? That's key points but I haven't understood from the reviews what was exactly the possible problem.

The more I play, the more I like it.

You have to forgive the technical state and weird clunky stuff - but once you do that, this is a true gem. I think only Deus Ex tops it for this particular genre.

The minigames are very good, in my opinion - and once you get used to the hacking, I think it fits with the sense of urgency and pressure very well. Sure, the mouse control is a mistake, but it's no big deal.

Only Fallout 3 has a better hacking minigame, and the lockpicking/security minigames are better in Alpha Protocol than I've seen anywhere else. The complaints regarding these things are blown WAY out of proportion.

Again, this remains the most polished Obsidian title I've played (and I've played them all) - and it's pretty close to feeling like an AAA level game. Sadly, it's not quite there - and animation quality is questionable - as well as the control scheme in certain ways, like how you deal with cover.

But - it's very well balanced so far, and the bitching I've heard regarding the pistol, for instance, is just wrong. Once you invest some points in that skill, it's incredibly powerful - both with the Chain Shot ability - but especially the lining up crits from behind cover is very strong.

The "behind-the-scenes" developer remarks are strange, and I think it says a lot about the people who left the project, that they have a guy severely badmouthing some of the lead people. I think that reeks of jealousy and a weak character, but we don't really know anything about its authenticity - so it might all be some weird attack on Obsidian. But that's my gut feeling, based on the fact that the game is not anywhere near as bad as it's made out to be.

It's a really, really good stealth shooter - if you ask me.

Having nearly done the 2nd hub, this game remains a strong 8/10 for me.

All that said, I'd have gladly done without Alpha Protocol for a decent Aliens-based game ;)

But it's still pretty heartbreaking that my sad prediction is coming true to such an extent. I knew the non-enthusiast market wasn't ready for an Obsidian game of this nature, but I didn't know it would be criticised THIS unfairly.

Last edited:
But it's still pretty heartbreaking that my sad prediction is coming true to such an extent. I knew the non-enthusiast market wasn't ready for an Obsidian game of this nature, but I didn't know it would be criticised THIS unfairly.

The more I rethink about my conversation with you, the more I can see how you were right and I was wrong. =/
However, what you're saying about the game gives me hope that, as long as I don't have particularly bad glitches, I will enjoy the game very much.

The more I rethink about my conversation with you, the more I can see how you were right and I was wrong. =/
However, what you're saying about the game gives me hope that, as long as I don't have particularly bad glitches, I will enjoy the game very much.

This is a case where I really wish I was wrong. I'm stilling hoping the game will sell enough copies to warrant a continuing franchise - or at least enough to not get Obsidian in trouble.

I can't guarentee it's for everyone, and this is one of the most sea-parting titles I can remember in recent times. In fact, I can't think of a single title that had this huge a diversity of reactions towards it upon release. Truly, a love/hate game if there ever was one. My theory is that it's basically the old school and the new school reacting based on their experience with the genre, and a heavy dose of arbitrary preferences. It's truly a strange hybrid of old-school game mechanics, and modern day action game conventions with a cinematic approach - without the budget and skill to pull it off 100%.

I think Obsidian went into it without all their heart, and without the capacity to make this kind of game for real.

But, I'd say if you like Deus Ex and you're into the genre, you really owe it to yourself to check it out.

I have a feeling they're going to need every single sell, in a big way.

The kicker is their lack of respect for working people in the US. "Lets release it when they go back to work on Tuesday! Tee-hee." If that isn't a big "fuck you" to the people who don't pirate, I don't know what is.

We're attracting a lot more trolls lately than usual.

What happened? :)

The kicker is their lack of respect for working people in the US. "Lets release it when they go back to work on Tuesday! Tee-hee." If that isn't a big "fuck you" to the people who don't pirate, I don't know what is.

As far as I know, most games are released in North America on Tuesdays and in Europe on Fridays. The only difference here is that instead of everyone in Europe waiting a few days North America has to instead. We have to deal with it for nearly every other release, have some patience.

We're attracting a lot more trolls lately than usual.

What happened? :)

I don't know why you think calling someone names for sharing their opinions is appropriate or acceptable, I guess you just like to hurt peoples feelings to make yourself feel better. :(

Back
Top Bottom