Fallout 3 - Critical Distance

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Alrik sent us a link to an interesting piece on Fallout 3 from a site called Critical Distance. It's an impressive examination of the critical response to Fallout 3, with dozens of links to articles and some of the issues they examine or praise they have. Here's a quote as an example:
The NPC writing didn’t just foul up the immersion, it also fiddled unpleasantly with the game’s approach to morality. In “Fun and loathing in Las Vegas Washington D.C.”, Ben Abraham identifies a tension between the portrayal of certain characters and the feel of the game. In his opinion, Mr. Burke comes across as a very cartoonish, moustache-twirling villain that is inappropriate in the context of the gritty, realistic game world. The game seems to make judgments about characters, sometimes without asking the real questions.
I express a similar complaint in “There’s nothing in it for you”, arguing that the game doesn’t provide the NPCs or the player with reasons to be evil beyond sheer insanity. In particular, the relative abundance of supplies in the Wasteland seems to defeat the feeling of desperation that might make an attractive core for such a personal narrative. Shamus Young had similar problems with Mr. Burke’s quest, as he describes in “The Power of the Atom”, where he critiques the flimsy writing behind what may be Fallout 3’s most affecting visual sequence. David Wildgoose, in contrast, found that the information he dug up on Megaton’s citizens from Moriarty’s computer, painting them as “sleazy losers”, helped him see Burke’s side of it. For me, the chief reason for evil comes not from any of the writing, but rather from the V.A.T.S. system. In “Power’s joy and sorrow” I opine that the system presents killing as an empowering pleasure, and in that way makes a case for war.
More information.

This is a wonderful site. In addition to Fallout 3 also read the Bioshock and GTA IV articles, and they were all worth the time. Very well written, and quite interesting.

I am glad I am not the only one who understood that waypoints and overdetailed in-game-maps ruins immersion by make the game less about interpreting what you see and more about being guided by the HUD.

I had a strong discovery when I in "Assassin's Creed II" got the tip from an in-game NPC; "look for eagles and you are likely to find a good viewpoint". It's true, the game actually have viewpoints and eagles can guide to them, however, you can just as well follow the map that automatically points out the important locations for you.

In Gothic and Risen you do not have this, you have to listen to the NPC's, follow their guiding, trying to learn how to navigate around the world. This makes exploration so much more interesting.

I agree with you in that I would prefer to find locations by NPC interaction, or from in-game books and such For places where I've been its another story, I like being able to fast-travel if I choose to do so.

It's not a big deal for me, however. I'm having a great time playing FO3 at the moment, and my immersion isn't ruined by the navigation system.

I am glad I am not the only one who understood that waypoints and overdetailed in-game-maps ruins immersion by make the game less about interpreting what you see and more about being guided by the HUD.

I had a strong discovery when I in "Assassin's Creed II" got the tip from an in-game NPC; "look for eagles and you are likely to find a good viewpoint". It's true, the game actually have viewpoints and eagles can guide to them, however, you can just as well follow the map that automatically points out the important locations for you.

In Gothic and Risen you do not have this, you have to listen to the NPC's, follow their guiding, trying to learn how to navigate around the world. This makes exploration so much more interesting.

Morrowind also didn't have a compass and markers, yet you couldn't find your way there.

There's another difference, Gothic I, II and Risen are very pathed worlds where there really isn't any cross-country traveling, in other words as long as you follow the roads you will find all locations.

In Morrowind, even if you use mods that take the fog away and increase view distance, you would still not be able to find caves that are off the beaten path.

As I said, I prefer using a map without GPS compass, but in worlds like Morrowind and Oblivion I get why some would find it neccasary.

But again the landscapes of Gothic I, II and Risen can't be compared to Morrowind. The former games have less than 20 caves and temples while Morrowind and Oblivion have in the 100s of caves, ruins and forts. I'm not saying more caves is better, but I am saying that navigating through a land with 20 or so caves and navigating though a land with a 100s of caves/ruins/forts is like comparing apples and oranges.

Now that I think of it, Risen at several points did use an NPC which you had to follow, meaning they chose a guide instead of textually explaining you how to travel. So in that case you didn't really explore yourself, you just followed some NPC.

"…the system presents killing as an empowering pleasure, and in that way makes a case for war. "

I always thought that about the "bloody mess" perk in the original fallouts.

Nah, I think the original Fallouts hit the right note between humor/irony and a sober setting.

It was depressing in all the right ways ;)

Fallout 3, in terms of writing and atmosphere, was ridiculous and I found myself taken out of the experience completely.

It was disturbing, but not in a cool way. Just incredibly cartoonish without actually being funny.

Back
Top Bottom