No sound in Deathtrap Dungeon in WinXP

The Hulk

Watchdog
I have been trying to get sound to work with the pc game Deathtrap Dungeon under WinXP Pro and using SB Audigy soundcard. The game runs ok, but no sound. I searched around on the internet and tried Eidos tech support forum, could not find a solution(their solution was to go buy a copy of Win98 and install it and then play the game under Win98, but I don't want to buy another OS to play the game). I guess last resort is to find the guy who was responsible for sound support in the game and send him an e-mail and ask him if he knows how to solve the problem. Don't want to go that far, figured this forum might be a good place to ask for help. :)

Have you tried emulation mode? I assume the sound card works normally with everything else. Since I don't know the game, why not contact Creative tech support.

I found this thread on the subject:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=25163

Unfortunately, it sound like you'll need Windows 98 to play with sound.

I recall Deathtrap Dungeon was some weird hybrid of Dos and Windows. Just on a whim, you might want to try to run it under DosBox. It's kind of a headache to learn how to use, but easy once you read the instructions. It probably won't work, but it's worth a try.

Also, look in your Device Manager under your sound card and make sure you have 'Legacy Audio Drivers' listed there. I don't know if Audigy has them but my Creative Live card has them. If they're not listed under your card, Creative might have some sort of legacy dos driver you can download; just check the list of downloads for your particular card at the Creative website.

Thanks for the replies. I have tried compatibility mode for win95 and win98, but that didn't help. I have tried contacting creative tech support in the past about sound issues with games, but they always tell me to contact the company that made the game instead of contacting them.
Using a legacy driver sounds promising. I don't know if dosbox would work since its basically a game made for windows 95 if I recall. Can dosbox be used to run win95 games?

No, Dosbox only rus Dos games!!

It is interesting that Win95 games have become the least compatible of all ... there is a big set of info around trying to get Star Wars Shadows of the Empire to run in XP ... and we all worry ourselves to death over activation in the name of playing games in 10 years ... ;)

It is interesting that Win95 games have become the least compatible of all ... there is a big set of info around trying to get Star Wars Shadows of the Empire to run in XP ... and we all worry ourselves to death over activation in the name of playing games in 10 years ... ;)

Well that's not true. How many times have you installed your fav pc game? I'm pretty sure its more then 2.

Well that's not true. How many times have you installed your fav pc game? I'm pretty sure its more then 2.

Oh, I know ... I joke, I joke ... I mean, I look at a game like Jedi Knight II. Over the years I have installed it on all ~10 PC's and ~ 5 Macs I've had over the past 5 years ...

Hulk, You might want to try out VDMSound. Find it on Sourceforge, download and install it, then go to the DD exe, rightclick and choose 'run with VDMS'. VDMS is for DOS games also, but who knows? Just try it, VDMS doesn't harm your machine.

I have both DD and VDMS, but unfortunately it's a game I rather wouldn't reinstall right now.

@woges in the Totoro suit: I reinstall/ed one of my favorite games at least three times a year. Since 1996. Which would make an average of 33 reinstalls for this certain game, and there are others I reinstall with a similar frequency... even though these games ran under NT, XP and even Vista without problems, I salute the modders who made these games playable with Open GL and dynamic lighting!

...yes, I am worried about Bioshock's model! Uah.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip Jaz. :) I'll give that a try when I get a chance. I don't have the game currently on my computer(not much space left), but when I either get the free space or get a new computer I plan to give it a try and will report back if that worked or not. I think you're one of the only people I heard of who actually has the game. Most people I talk to either never heard of it or heard of it but never got it.

Oh, being a huge fan of choose-your-own-adventure gamebooks (especially Fighting Fantasy) I couldn't pass the Deathtrap Dungeon computer game back when it came out. I was mildly disappointed, but that was to be expected, I guess... but I don't want to spoil your fun, so I won't go into details here.

Why don't you just try to download the "Virtaul PC 2007" or "Virtual PC 2004" program from Microsoft and try to install Win98 into that, and than Deathtrap Dungeon ?

I don't know if that might work, but I'd give it a try, if there was enough space (HD, RAM) for it ...

Hi everyone, new here.

I FINALLY FOUND A SOLUTION! I CAN FINALLY PLAY DTD !!!

This is one of my favourite all-time games!
Now in 2007 I'm playing Oblivion, at the same time, Deathtrap Dungeon!
Old but still beautiful.

I discovered that THERE IS sound, but very very very low.
So I searched the web and I found this small piece of shareware,
IndieVolume
http://sharewareconnection.com/indievolume.htm

After I installed it. I ran DTD.
Then winlogo+d then double-click IndieVolume at the bar down the desktop, then choose DTD and click HANDLE, then go to settings and enable FREE VOLUME.

VERY IMPORTANT: I found that the game crashes if you set the sound device to default in the settings for DTD in the IndieVolume.

Maybe you will have to tweak it specifically for your PC. Because I am not sure that is the cause for crashes.

Also, if you can search the web for smiliar software just tell me if you find anything.
Bye.

Back
Top Bottom