Pillars of Eternity - Preview @ IGN

Judging by him spamming half the thread with his expert opinion on Kotor II's ending despite never having played it, likely just clueless.

You can doubt all you want, though I doubt you have read up on the info they've given out about mechanics and classes. Characters in PoE will be way more customizable than in D&D - you just have to watch the latest previews to grasp that (high int barbarians ftw!).

Again, how do you know for sure? No one knows for sure until the game is released and played it through.

Let's get this straight - you think PoE will be inferior to BG mechanics wise, but you just hope they won't cut any content anyway. So you can play more of a game whose workings you don't care about. Sounds legit.

When did I ever say PoE will be mechanically inferior to BG? (who's hallucinating now? ;)) I did say Obsidian have released what I consider unfinished products in terms of content wise, and am skeptical as PoE is not a small game given the fact they merely had/have roughly 2 year development cycle. In saying that, I still look forward to game, hoping it would be good as they are promising.

Complaint? It's an observation.

No, I'm talking about the game looking and playing like BG rather than other RPGs.

Elaborate. We've seen a dragon-like creature (in screenshots and maybe a video) and an isometric perspective. So that's why it looks like BG?

Try looking at that video again - and notice the small things like the little introduction monologue, which is EXACTLY like BG. Look at the RTwP combat system, look at the character panel, the cursor, the little circles under the characters, the bartering UI and so on. It's BG all over again.

Every game with RTwP combat = BG. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Again, ALL IE games had selection circles and RTwP combat. BG doesn't stand out more in that regard than any other game in the series.

Yes, it's inspired by Infinity in such a way that it's a MODERN Infinity game with a similar distribution between combat, NPC interaction and story. It's more like BG than Icewind Dale is.

If you think all other RPGs play and look like that, cool - but it's not reality.

You have no idea about "distribution of combat" in PoE and it clearly shows. What they have done is make social interaction, stealth and combat viable options in most situations. No IE game offered that diversity in conflict resolution, therefore gameplay will be drastically different - if you're so inclined. If you want to play it like Icewind Dale and just hack away, good for you. But don't go claiming that the game is as limited as your imagination.

I know what the game is trying to do even if you're in denial about it. It's fan-service and it's BG in spirit if not in pedantic detail. Pretend otherwise as you see fit.

The fact that Sawyer would shy away from Kickstarter the second time around goes to show that it's not a fan service. Pretend otherwise if you see fit. ;)

Ok, what NWN2 has got in that way is a decent adaption of 3.5 Edition D&D.

For one thing, NWN2 has multiclassing, which is a very, very big deal when it comes to character diversity.

I haven't said PoE can't be better than that - I'm saying I'm doubting that it will be, because it would take an enormous amount of work and focus for something that a lot of BG fans won't even care about.

Ok, so your idea of diversity is multiclassing and multiclassing only. Pretty strange though. Differences in attributes, skills, spells, abilities and equipment between characters doesn't matter. Interesting.

I'm talking about multiclassing for one thing - though I don't know what "wild and random" means in this context. I've never done random or "wild" multiclassing - as that'd be pretty stupid. I tend to think long and hard to come up with a unique and satisfying strategy.

You think long and hard about what classes you can dabble in to reap class specific bonuses - yes, that's what I mean by wild multiclassing. It doesn't enforce any kind of roleplaying on the character. Now, there are 'tards who say no one should enforce anything in their single-player games. That's quite obviously bs though as you need to tailor the game around certain choices. If you allow for all concepts to be valid (like a bard/ pale master/ barbarian), you will certainly sacrifice making the game more reactive to certain builds and approaches.

If you want to tell yourself Pillars of Eternity can't be exploited or that having attributes effect a variety of things means more diversity and richness in the character system than 3.5 D&D, that's ok with me.

I don't really see it that way.

There's nothing to see "that way". Characters playing out differently means diversity. Look up the word if you don't agree. :)

Judging by him spamming half the thread with his expert opinion on Kotor II's ending despite never having played it, likely just clueless.

Right, people who claim this game will be worse than BG1 and will certainly be unfinished because they'll cut half the content from the game aren't clueless, right? ;)

Again, how do you know for sure? No one knows for sure until the game is released and played it through.

Yes, they probably lied and built a deceiving prototype of the starting area to mislead games journalists.

When did I ever say PoE will be mechanically inferior to BG? (who's hallucinating now? ;)) I did say Obsidian have released what I consider unfinished products in terms of content wise, and am skeptical as PoE is not a small game given the fact they merely had/have roughly 2 year development cycle. In saying that, I still look forward to game, hoping it would be good as they are promising.

Right, you just expressed great scepticism that it would be as good as BG. Seems very much like hallucinating to me, as anyone who has spent 5 minutes researching the information on the official boards can tell this game's systems will be much more in-depth than BG's.

Please list all the "products" (note the plural!) Obsidian has released where massive content was cut and therefore the ending didn't make sense. Oh right, you're talking about games you "consider unfinished" for whatever reason.

If you honestly can't see what DArtagnan is talking about then I'm starting to feel a little embarrassed for you.

I don't think you're actually that blind though. I think you're just stubborn and unable to admit when you're wrong.

Again, ALL IE games had selection circles and RTwP combat. BG doesn't stand out more in that regard than any other game in the series.

Ah.. so now it's all IE games rather than "all CRPGs"? :)

@scared:

Have pleasant conversation with imaginary people/responses in your head ;)

Elaborate. We've seen a dragon-like creature (in screenshots and maybe a video) and an isometric perspective. So that's why it looks like BG?

I've already explained this.

Every game with RTwP combat = BG. Thanks for clearing that up :)

No, you don't understand. Games that play more or less exactly like BG are similar to BG. Just like PoE.

I'm not sure why you're taking single elements one by one and then ignoring how they combine into a game that's extremely similar to BG. But I'm afraid I can't help you see the obvious truth if you simply don't want to.

I'm completely ok with you not agreeing with me, though.

I mean, it's hardly important is it?

You have no idea about "distribution of combat" in PoE and it clearly shows. What they have done is make social interaction, stealth and combat viable options in most situations. No IE game offered that diversity in conflict resolution, therefore gameplay will be drastically different - if you're so inclined. If you want to play it like Icewind Dale and just hack away, good for you. But don't go claiming that the game is as limited as your imagination.

Yes, I have a very clear idea from that video - and from what I've read about the game. Just because I haven't done a lot of research into the combat mechanics and character systems, doesn't mean I'm blind to this being BG in spirit.

They know they have a lot of fans who like BG, they've done Infinity games in the past - and they're using crowd-funding to guage interest. Obviously, the interest was significant and they're trying their best to accommodate expectations of a modern take on an Infinity game that's more like BG than any of the other Infinity games. That much is without question - and I doubt you'll find many on the Watch who won't agree with that.

I'm talking about character diversity - not other kinds of gameplay diversity. In other ways, it looks fine to me, though I'm not as hyped as you very obviously are. Let's hope your hype is justified :)

You seem to have a lot of trouble distinguishing between what's being said and what your biased position wants me to say.

I've never claimed BG has a ton of diversity at all, I'm talking about 3rd+ Edition of D&D - and I'm talking about CHARACTER diversity. Get it?

You have to read what I'm saying - as these fantasy misconceptions only make you look desperate.

The fact that Sawyer would shy away from Kickstarter the second time around goes to show that it's not a fan service. Pretend otherwise if you see fit ;)

Ok, I would like a rational explanation for this. He would shy away the second time - and that means PoE can't be fan service? Let's get logical please.

Ok, so your idea of diversity is multiclassing and multiclassing only. Pretty strange though. Differences in attributes, skills, spells, abilities and equipment between characters doesn't matter. Interesting.

You asked me for an example, I gave you an example. If you want me to list everything - you have to be clear. These high-school tactics won't help you much with me.

Again, let's try not to imagine things too much. Multiclassing is a very big part of it, yes - but it's not the only part of it.

It's probably the biggest part of it - so that's why it's a good example. You can deny the impact it has on diversity - but you will fail in a big way.

If you can convince me you're capable of being just a little bit objective, I'll mention a few more things.

Calling multiclassing "wild and random" in a futile attempt to dismiss what it does won't really do much to motivate me.

You think long and hard about what classes you can dabble in to reap class specific bonuses - yes, that's what I mean by wild multiclassing. It doesn't enforce any kind of roleplaying on the character. Now, there are 'tards who say no one should enforce anything in their single-player games. That's quite obviously bs though as you need to tailor the game around certain choices. If you allow for all concepts to be valid (like a bard/ pale master/ barbarian), you will certainly sacrifice making the game more reactive to certain builds and approaches.

Oh, so now you're confusing "roleplaying" with character diversity? Interesting mess of a mind you must have :)

You seem to have a bone to pick with singleplayer games not working exactly as you want them to, but that has nothing to do with me - or what I'm saying. I don't think you want me to get into my opinion of having a few pre-written dialogue options in a tree as a representation of "roleplaying".

Sure, it was a neat addition in Torment - but you'd have to be a bit blind to pretend that's "roleplaying" like actually playing a role that you're free to define yourself.

Ok, so being strategic and deliberate when planning an interesting character is what you consider "wild multiclassing". Very unusual description of that process, but to each his own.

But you seem to understand that I don't think PoE will match this richness and diversity.

Are you ok with me having a different opinion - or are you going to continue to fail in pointing out why I'm wrong?

Because, let's just say you're doing a very, very poor job of being convincing as anything but an extremely biased fan of a game that's yet to be released.

Let's agree to disagree?

There's nothing to see "that way". Characters playing out differently means diversity. Look up the word if you don't agree. :)

Sure, that's one way to see it. I would call that post-creation character diversity in that case.

Another way is to see character diversity as diversity between the characters you can create. Meaningful and significant diversity - that is. Actually, in NWN most attributes are potentially relevant for all classes - but you'd have to know the system to realise that. Obviously, you never paid much attention or you're just ignoring your own knowledge because you're not comfortable being wrong in public.

I understand and it's ok - but you're wrong all the same.

I've been very clear about that since the beginning. If you want to pretend you thought I was talking about something entirely different that I haven't even hinted at, that's ok with me. Let's just say you're not making a terribly good impression by being such a child.

I don't know how PoE will play in terms of giving me in-game options with my character post-creation, and I haven't said ANYTHING negative about that at all.

I'm talking about character diversity in the way I've defined above.

Last edited:
You people are 'tarded.

That was to be expected though. So I'll just munch popcorn and watch this drama of virtual ignorance unfold. I know that game will have your panties in a knot once it's out.

I do request a "I'm eating my shorts now" thread by DArt though :)

Back
Top Bottom