Fallout 3 Fallout 3?

RivianWitch

Keeper of the Watch
Eh, no Fallout 3 players around here? I hadn't explored a good few things yet, before the ending caught me, and not done DLC yet, so was thinking of reviving my game sometime.

One of the things I remember not clearing up, was; who sends those mercenaries when you are playing a goody-two-shoes with lots of positive karma?

Does anyone know?

Hiya. Yep I'm quite a fan. I thrashed it pretty heavily and one of the things I learned was there's a lot of content that's left totally unexplored and unutilised. The thing with the mercs is one of them. I think it's Burke that sends them but it's not explored in any great detail. It's just a very flimsy excuse to have a bunch of ****heads attacking you all the time. If you're evil then some do-gooders fill that role. Who hired them is sort of a moot point since you can't stop them or investigate it any further.

I haven't played the DLC yet either. I'm waiting until all three are out so I can play them all one after the other.

Last edited:
You're not suppose to ask questions about Fallout 3s plot. You're just suppose to be amazed by VATS and how OMG the surroundings are and how kewl the mini lockpick game is.

As far as the DLC is concerned, they rely on combat, and the problem with that is that the combat in this game is terrible. Thus the terrible reviews of the DLCs.

There are a few of us who play, but to tell the truth there are too many better games on my plate. So I put this one on hold and I'm waiting for some kind of better quest mod. I hate the storyline and everything to do with the writing. Don't even get me started on what they did to Harold. Idiotic writers can't think of anything better than to doom my favorite character of all time to that and don't you just love how they made Vault Tech stupid businessmen who thought it would be a grand idea to mess with people after the world is destroyed. Aghhh, sorry about that but everytime I think about how my first graders could of written a better plot than those bunch of clowns, it gets me a bit peeved. With that said, the gameplay is fun if tweaked a bit. I just look at it as a survival game.

Read my thread here:http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6541
It's about which, I think, are the best mods out there for Fallout 3. Basically, if you want to play again and this time not get to level 20 in three seconds flat then download the balance overhaul MOD. I highly recomend FOOK and Mart's Mutant mod. Tons of stuff is added into the games. My thread has all of the links and more info on it.

You're not suppose to ask questions about Fallout 3s plot. You're just suppose to be amazed by VATS and how OMG the surroundings are and how kewl the mini lockpick game is.

As far as the DLC is concerned, they rely on combat, and the problem with that is that the combat in this game is terrible. Thus the terrible reviews of the DLCs.

I disagree. I may have big big problems with the writing, but the combat is great when tweaked and I always liked VATS even in the vanilla version. Plus the graphics ARE great. If you play it just like an action/exploration game then it can be fun. If you play it and expect an RPG, well you will be deeply disappointed.

Forget the regular DLC, find mods created by anyone other than Beth. Those three I mentioned before really do change the whole game into something that is fun to play.

Last edited:
I thought about getting FO3 as it has dropped in price and my PC is a tad slow for the upcoming releases.

Since it is a Bethesda game I have to ask: Which mods should I get if I get the game?

I couldn't get into it thanks to Bethesda's latest trademark combo of horrendous voice acting, elementary school level dialogue (curses don't maturity make), dull story, and soulless atmosphere. It's prequels did a lot more with a lot less.

Not to mention the FPS combat (had VATS slo-mo cam been "turn-off-able" I may have not minded it much).

Not to mention they used most of the same handful of voice actors in Oblivion & Morrowind... these guys have no range or depth, they voice 50 different characters the SAME WAY. Very jarring.

Not to mention it felt like Oblivion with guns for all of the above.

I loved it, had a great time. Striking atmosphere, huge world, lots of variety, interesting exploration, excellent sidequests, improved combat and voice acting over previous Bethesda games, removal of the world-levelling mechanic from Oblivion, VATs was great fun, etc. Easily one of my favorite RPGs.

I am playing through it these days - good game.

DLC:
The Pitt -> very good.
Operation Anchorage - Shooter game - a very bad shooter -> avoid it

Last edited:
I think it's a good game, even though I never finished it. I never got any of the DLCs, instead I plan on just buying a GotY Edition copy and replaying it.

I never finished it either. Had fun exploring a bit and losing myself in the wilderness, but eventually got bored.

I loved it. The brown everywhere got to me a bit and the final battle only took two shots to complete but other than that I had a lot of fun. I planned on playing again once some mods and DLC got out but, when I tried to play it last month, the dang thing wouldn't start. I might have to re-install and try again.

Went for Drakensang instead:p

I never finished it either. Had fun exploring a bit and losing myself in the wilderness, but eventually got bored.

I'm not expecting much but a slightly better Oblivion with guns (and VATS that should make combat tolerable, I thoroughly hated the dance in circles friendly fire ridden turd of combat of Ob), but at 20 bucks such a game might be worth it. FO3 and Mass Effect are pretty much the latest RPG releases that will run on my PC that I dont own already...

I couldn't get into it thanks to Bethesda's latest trademark combo of horrendous voice acting, elementary school level dialogue (curses don't maturity make), dull story, and soulless atmosphere. It's prequels did a lot more with a lot less.

Not to mention they used most of the same handful of voice actors in Oblivion & Morrowind… these guys have no range or depth, they voice 50 different characters the SAME WAY. Very jarring.

I don't consider voice acting an important issue at all in an RPG, and I won't let it affect my judgement of a game. So whether it's one or a hundred actors, it doesn't matter. In fact I prefer that they dropped voice acting and spent their resources on other things. I often turn it off.

I like FO3. And I prefer the Stratocaster over the Telecaster.

EDIT: BTW, for some reason, in almost any game providing voice acting, initial greetings from NPCs often is completely independent of context:

Examples:
Wow, one gnome to another: "My, you're a tall one"

Lotro: "Will you stop bothering me", even if I, on his request, return with that valuable thingy he carelessly left near a camp of goblins.

Any game: On passing an NPC you have absolutely no intention of talking to (and therefore don't select it): "Yes?", "What is it?". And "Move on…" - YES, RIGHT. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M IN THE PROCESS OF DOING, NO NEED TO TELL ME!

I think it's a good game, even though I never finished it. I never got any of the DLCs, instead I plan on just buying a GotY Edition copy and replaying it.

Same here. And I will restart from the beginning again, so that I can make use of the latest mods esp. FOOK 2.

FO3 is a good game, esp. w/ the very active modding community that keeps on making amazing mods for the game. I have spent many hours on playing the original and many more on fooling around with mods.

I don't consider voice acting an important issue at all in an RPG, and I won't let it affect my judgement of a game. So whether it's one or a hundred actors, it doesn't matter. In fact I prefer that they dropped voice acting and spent their resources on other things. I often turn it off.

I never said voice acting was an important issue in general Personally I would prefer reading millions of lines of text than be subjected to really bad voice acting.

And it's not that I expect Oscar-worthy acting from a video game. The voice acting in Divine Divinity is pretty hokey but I don't mind it.

But listen to the voice actors in Oblivion and Fallout 3 - they sound like they're play-acting for a class of 2nd graders. And it's not just that it's the fact that they used the same handful of actors in BOTH games and they perform the lines for various characters the SAME way.

My 6 year old daughter has more range when she voices her Barbie dolls.

So here I am playing Fallout 3 and having trouble getting absorbed in the game world because this guy sounds EXACTLY like that guy from Oblivion. And he sounds bad. AND more importantly, the writing is really atrocious and amateurish to begin with.

But I'm not judging an entire game on voice acting alone. You must have skipped over everything else I wrote.

And I prefer the Stratocaster over the Telecaster.

But you'd probably prefer the First Act (you can find them at Toys R Us) version.
It's like the Oblivion/Fallout 3 version of the Strat: Not quite a real Stratocaster (RPG), not even close but most inexperienced guitarists (RPGers) wouldn't be able to tell the difference. :D I kid.

Strats are pretty nice too, but I like to keep it basic and minimal.

Easily one of my top 25 RPG's ... but definitely NOT in my top10.

I 'finished' twice and have all of the DLC ... but I stopped charging through them to review here. The DLC was pretty mediocre, but did get somewhat better as they went along, but never even reach ed the level of the original game.

I never said voice acting was an important issue in general Personally I would prefer reading millions of lines of text than be subjected to really bad voice acting.

And it's not that I expect Oscar-worthy acting from a video game. The voice acting in Divine Divinity is pretty hokey but I don't mind it.

But listen to the voice actors in Oblivion and Fallout 3 - they sound like they're play-acting for a class of 2nd graders. And it's not just that it's the fact that they used the same handful of actors in BOTH games and they perform the lines for various characters the SAME way.
I agree with you in principle, but I guess it doesn't annoy me as much. But actually, in Oblivion there is one thing which did annoy me: When NPC's (especially the beggars) change voice during conversation. I can't believ they let that pass - after all: With only 6 actors it can't cost that much extra for each to record "Thank you, kind sir!" and the female analogue.
My 6 year old daughter has more range when she voices her Barbie dolls.

Now THAT I can believe. Even if my daughters are well beyond their Barbie period (At level 29 and 28 they ought to be!").
So here I am playing Fallout 3 and having trouble getting absorbed in the game world because this guy sounds EXACTLY like that guy from Oblivion. And he sounds bad. AND more importantly, the writing is really atrocious and amateurish to begin with.

But I'm not judging an entire game on voice acting alone. You must have skipped over everything else I wrote.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that voice acting was your only criteria, sorry about that - that was not my intention.

Perhaps I should make a confession here - my main reason for commenting was your telecaster avatar. In other words, a hidden agenda.

But you'd probably prefer the First Act (you can find them at Toys R Us) version.
It's like the Oblivion/Fallout 3 version of the Strat: Not quite a real Stratocaster (RPG), not even close but most inexperienced guitarists (RPGers) wouldn't be able to tell the difference. :D I kid.

Strats are pretty nice too, but I like to keep it basic and minimal.

But you know, being the Bethesda fan I am, it's all about looks!!! :)

I guess there is a reason that famous artists like Keith Richard and Bruce Springsteen stick to the telecaster - even a strat man like David Gilmour use it. And Steve Howe of Yes fame, recorded all guitar parts on the Yes album "Relayer" (Are there any connections here???) using a (modified) telecaster.

But I, I love my off-white Strat. Hmmm. Maybe time to change avatar.

Perhaps I should make a confession here - my main reason for commenting was your telecaster avatar. In other words, a hidden agenda.

But you know, being the Bethesda fan I am, it's all about looks!!! :)

I guess there is a reason that famous artists like Keith Richard and Bruce Springsteen stick to the telecaster - even a strat man like David Gilmour use it. And Steve Howe of Yes fame, recorded all guitar parts on the Yes album "Relayer" (Are there any connections here???) using a (modified) telecaster.

But I, I love my off-white Strat. Hmmm. Maybe time to change avatar.

Relayer: greatest YES album of all time!!!!

And I have to confess, I play a Tele more because of the way it looks so I guess I'm guilty of being shallow :) Well more so that it is just such a clean, simple design. And it's not contoured so you feel like you're holding a nice big fat slab of wood :D

I do LOVE the very raw, woody but a bit metallic sound of the Tele though, like on the solo on "To Be Over" from Relayer or on "Awakening" from Going For The One or even on Jimmy Pages's Stairway To Heaven solo but I can admit the Strat does have a sweeter tone (and Gilmour's tone is amazing - I could approximate it on a Tele with some chorus and delay but still not the same as with a Strat).

And I seriously hate the way Les Pauls look but they sound great.

But that off-white Strat better have a maple neck… those are GORGEOUS!!!

But back on topic: I agree, the switching of voices/actors from one line to the next was really more distracting than the overall quality. (The writing still sucked though, I stand by that comment!!!!).

Back
Top Bottom