WoW - Subscribers Drop to 7 Million

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Lostforever noticed on HardcoreGamer that the number of subscribers to World of Warcraft has dropped to about 7 million. I think loads of MMOs would be very happy with such a number, but WoW once had a lot more.

More information.

@Pladio: You might want to check your numbers….

pibbur who as usual could not resist

WoW number drops and claims back up again all the time but what's interesting is that they dropped 3 million in just 2/3 months. I guess the last expansion wasn't good enough.

ooo that much; i plan on playing this summer after witcher

WoW number drops and claims back up again all the time but what's interesting is that they dropped 3 million in just 2/3 months. I guess the last expansion wasn't good enough.

From what I've read online, people hated it in the West.

The latest expansion is only "fun" for people who enjoy they endgame as it gets you there very fast. When you are all about levelling, exploring all areas to the max etc you will run into the level cap (100) very fast and to be honest after that it's just not so fun anymore for me. The variation offered by the 2 sets of quests lines in the zones is well done, but after running 2 characters through the expansion you've about seen it all. I think that's the reason behind the drop in subscribers. I believe that the 7 million is about the same as before the launch of WoD.

before draenor you could stop the leveling gain, was this removed? i activated this many times when i played last summer to fully enjoy all areas

i ran that hampster wheel from 1999 to around 2006. lots of great fond memories, but not doing that again.

i ran that hampster wheel from 1999 to around 2006. lots of great fond memories, but not doing that again.

Dude? WoW was released November 2004. Or did you mean MMOs in general, not just WoW? It's also spelled "hamster" and not hampster.

Dude? WoW was released November 2004. Or did you mean MMOs in general, not just WoW? It's also spelled "hamster" and not hampster.

thanks bro, i dont care enough to clarify or spell check.

The latest expansion is only "fun" for people who enjoy they endgame as it gets you there very fast. When you are all about levelling, exploring all areas to the max etc you will run into the level cap (100) very fast and to be honest after that it's just not so fun anymore for me. The variation offered by the 2 sets of quests lines in the zones is well done, but after running 2 characters through the expansion you've about seen it all. I think that's the reason behind the drop in subscribers. I believe that the 7 million is about the same as before the launch of WoD.

100% this. They cater so much to the vocal raiding community that there is nothing really to do other than raiding. It should take months quite frankly to become max level again and there should be interesting things to do all along the journey. Now it is just a couple days, get to max level and grind the same raids over and over and over. They have completely forgotten what made the game so compelling in the first place, exploration, expansive world. interesting character development, epic quests, loot rewards that were meaningful and rewarding, fun dungeons, actual danger out in the world. Slow leveling but tons and tons of mini goals to accomplish along the way. No it is raiding. Raiding only. Dull, dull dull.

The frightening thing is this : SWTOR has this "speedmode to the top" now, too ...

The frightening thing is this : SWTOR has this "speedmode to the top" now, too …

It's temporary until fall, only available to subscribers, was requested by players because class story is the only thing worth doing over and over again, was accepted by devs because summer usually has less sub and the dev even created a way to op-out of it if you don't like it.

It is still one of the MMO with the slowest leveling curve out there (unless you abuse KDY on XP bonus events).

MMOs are a dying genre, at least until some new innovations that can re-capture and re-energize players emerge (which will probably happen eventually - but right now the standard MMO model and gameplay are very... tired).

Back
Top Bottom