Wasteland 2 - Saturation Preference Poll

Call me strange, but um…I actually want more bleakness in my post-apocalyptica thank you very much. Not that I'm especially choosy here (I'd play 'em all damnit!) but any option where the sense of genuine post-apocalypse is enhanced, then I'd choose that one.
It just…makes sense. :)

Not for a Wasteland remake. Voted A. But like you I'd play 'em all ;)

Agree with those who want much sharper detail. I want to see the made in China logo on my weapon, dammit :D

Agree with those who want much sharper detail. I want to see the made in China logo on my weapon, dammit :D

If you get to choose pick up the ones made in Germany instead. You'll live longer. Just sayin' :)

C. It's a wasteland.

And you can't see color in a wasteland, right? If you carry a rainbow-colored toy to Death Valley and look at it, it will suddenly look grey?

I think B is certain to win, and I'm okay with that. A and B both look fine to me. So I voted for A just to make sure it beats C. I'm silly that way.

I agree that grittier, more detailed textures would help things though.

Option B for me… but it's not a big deal. I'm more concerned with the gameplay.
For those that like a bleaker wasteland, why not have a B&W option?

C for me. First thing I do when I install a game (specially true for MMOs) is disable gloom and other such things. Makes me feel like I'm dreaming something, totally unimmersive.

"Surprisingly" crude? What did you expect?
A choice between visual styles that will display more meaningful differences than what can be achieved by simply changing my monitor's saturation. I know this is was the intention but, and considering that it's going to be customizable anyway, it just feels pointless. Like being asked whether I prefer to have vanilla or chocolate in my vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

If you are going to call upon the community to make a decision, at least make it a meaningful one! I'm fine with not being asked, I'll trust the proffesional's judgement, but if you do ask my opinion then at least make it feel that I'm making a difference. This makes it look like the plan is to just keep us busy with the most insignificant details possible.

Last edited:
I like it between A&B. But this is not really a big deal as we will be able to change saturation in the preferences, correct?

Anyway, I'm really excited about this game. I think that screenshot is amazing. This game is going to be awsome!

Don't make a poll, make a decision. You're the designer - and your vision is the only correct one for YOUR game.

This is a PR ploy and a good one. He is giving all of the people that donated money to fund his job for the next couple of years a bone. The poll results are inconsequential to anything in the short or long term. He gets to give people the illusion of choice and if it all goes horribly wrong he can deflect back to it was our decision (maybe a little to cynical). Also he gets to show off some screenshots of progress at the same time.

For the record, B is of course the correct choice of the ones offered.

Somebody wrote it could be sunset hour. Capital piece of information as it changes the perception of the pics.

If you are going to call upon the community to make a decision, at least make it a meaningful one! I'm fine with not being asked, I'll trust the proffesional's judgement, but if you do ask my opinion then at least make it feel that I'm making a difference. This makes it look like the plan is to just keep us busy with the most insignificant details possible.

See Figment's reply.

Fargo promised a high degree of community consultation - and he is trying to deliver on that. The trick, of course, is to make the community feel involved without compromising the important decisions they must make unilaterally to ensure a smooth development.

I think I will go with B as well.

Does anyone else find it worrying that they are spending time on stupid stuff like this at this stage in development? It's like picking out the wallpaper for the bathroom in your new house before you've even started looking for it.

Nah, they're probably just trying to sustain interest without investing too much precious energy.

Still, I'd rather they just made the game and showed progress when there was something to show.

Also, I'd never trust gamers to know what they really wanted - because most gamers wouldn't make good designers. So, just don't ask them.

True. I remember Jesper Juul telling me that gamers will list the features of current hit games when asked what a game should contain. No wonder we end up with so many rehashes. EA is actually delivering what gamers want :)

Option B for me… but it's not a big deal. I'm more concerned with the gameplay.
For those that like a bleaker wasteland, why not have a B&W option?

B&W might actually fit the setting pretty well, though it would probably be better for Fallout than Wasteland.

Option C looks the most realistic, but B would probably be better because gamers have come to expect lots of color. C would give it a grittier feel, but gamers need their visual fix.

Does anyone else find it worrying that they are spending time on stupid stuff like this at this stage in development? It's like picking out the wallpaper for the bathroom in your new house before you've even started looking for it.

I'm not sure it is stupid stuff if they are trying to figure out the overall look and feel of the game. I'm sure they are doing engine and mechanics work as well.

Back
Top Bottom