Witcher Witcher - tweaks

The Witcher

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Witcher can handle more than 2GB memory. To use that under Windows XP 32 you have to set the 3GB switch in the boot.ini.

Use Boot.ini C.U. for that.

WARNING
If you mess up your boot.ini you cannot boot Windows any longer, do the following only if you understand what you are doing!

a) deactive write-protection of your boot.ini and make a backup of your boot.ini
b) load the boot.ini with boot.ini c.u.
c) activate checkbox 3GB
d) activate checkbox USERVA -> 2800 is a good value for 2GB systems
(How to use the /userva switch with the /3GB switch to tune the User-mode space to a value between 2 GB and 3 GB)
e) save boot.ini
f) restart computer
g) test "The Witcher"
h) If you have problems (crashes) try lowering the USERVA value 2700,2600 ... 2100

guide-pic 1

guide-pic 2

For ATI users with AGP-cards:

Use the Omega Drivers

The Omega Drivers v3.8.421 are ready!
They are based on the Official ATI Catalyst 7.10 drivers, but unlike them, these will work with AGP cards just fine, plus added support for a lot of other cards that where not present in my drivers before (like the x1950 AGP, Mobility HD2600 and many more).
If the drivers never installed in your card before try them now, if they still don't install please email me and I will gladly add support for it in my next release.

Many gamers say decreasing the GrassQuality setting is a performance booster.

All settings can be found in the registry, too:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CD Projekt RED\Witcher\Settings

BTW ...

The Witcher scales with cpu-power, if you have an older not so fast computer -
NOW is the time to overclock it :)

I played the game with an overclocked Athlon XP 2600+

Anyone figured out how to disable the Intro stuff like Logos and Intro?

In regard to ATI drivers since I was unable to use either the newest Cats 7.10 and Omega 7.10 tried reverting back and the newest Omegas that work for me are the 7.4.
I had originally gone back to 6.10, but had some minor Artifact issues with Particle Effects not working properly.

Anyone figured out how to disable the Intro stuff like Logos and Intro?
You can rename their .bik files but that doesn't make the game launch any faster. For example, if the game doesn't find the .bik for the intro it simply doesn't show the video but plays the narration and shows its subtitles.

KazikluBey
For example, if the game doesn't find the .bik for the intro it simply doesn't show the video but plays the narration and shows its subtitles.
That's what I am experiencing, too.
I tried just removing them from the folder, yet even the atari logo still played so maybe it's running off the dvd or part of the copy protection, too bad very annoying.

If you have problems with the Tages copy-protection software, you can try to install the newest Tages-version.

The setup toogles Tages on and off.

The Witcher is using the Miles Sound System \The Witcher\System\mss32.dll

A new version can be found here:
The Miles Sound Tools

A new version (1.9a) of Bink is out, too. But there's no link for the binkw32.dll.

Anyone have luck finding an Unpacker for the files in TW, yet?
Man, that would be a HUGE boon for tweaking out issues, they seemed to have packed everything useful up, console and commands for getting past bugs is always very important, not to mention being able to add lost items.

All, hail tk102! :party:
Mods can't be too far, now. :dance:

Thanks, HiddenX.

Great news:
CD Projekt and Atari are currently in the process of finalizing Patch 1.2 for The Witcher which is scheduled for release before Christmas. The patch is being designed to improve loading and saving times, as well as to tackle a number of design, gameplay, stability and graphical issues and should significantly improve the overall playing experience.
http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=5326.0

Excellent news indeed. Thanks Dark Savant--I'm also posting this on the news page. :)

Any luck with opening a console, now that files are decompressing or a possible link?

Thanks. :)

Here are some ideas for Vista users. They are collected from e-mails I got from CDProjekt's Technical Assistance while we were looking for a solution of game crushing on HD resolution on my rig. So here it is, I just thought I just post it here, maybe someone make any use of it...

1. Install this update.
2. Install this update.
3. Install this update.
4. Try to work with CAS latency in BIOS, lowering it a bit helped some users.
5. Turn OFF in BIOS any feature that lowers CPU speed automatically, like Intel's SpeedStep.
6. If you were changing pagefile's parameters, change them to "let the system decide"
7. Open cmd.exe from \Windows\System32 with administrator privileges and enter command BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2900 (it was advice specifically for my rig, if you have less RAM than me, i.e. 4GB, use lesser value)
8. And, yeah, defrag your hard disk prior to playing :)
9. Changing to Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode won't hurt either :)

A "tweak" I use with all my games...

If you have a second hard disk... one that you are not running a pagefile on, install the game there. I never install games where my pagefile resides and I have noticed (through testing) that I always get better performance that way.

My load times (both saved games, and loading areas) averages about 10 to 15 seconds, which I think is very reasonable.

DISCLAIMER - If you don't know what a pagefile is, or how to make changes to its size or where it resides, please don't mess with it!

Back
Top Bottom