PS3 Dualshock on PC (without MotionInJoy!)

Aubrielle

Noveliste
MotionInJoy has given me no end of problems. It's like one of those ancient paleolithic game consoles that when they broke, you had to fiddle with all kinds of stuff in the back of your TV and maybe it would work. Like, half the time. Maybe.

I don't have a PS2 controller, or an Xbox 360 controller. I have a Logitech gamepad that works with everything but it's hard and uncomfortable and hurts my hands. (I have small hands and the buttons are hard to press). I want to use my fairly comfortable PS3 DS controller but it only works about half the time, even when I fiddle with MotionInJoy.

I know there's guides online, and yes, I've googled the crap out of it, but it's all really complex stuff that involves a lot of software I've never heard of, and I don't want to install 396,729,032 drivers and programs that install who-knows-what else.

If it's possible, I'd like my PS3 controller to work with most of what I play.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Does anyone have any advice that might be fairly easy to understand?

Edit: I think I may have gotten it to work okay for the game in question, but...if there's an easier solution, I'd still be interested to know. :)

Last edited:
I haven't messed around with this for a long time, so I'm not really familiar enough to offer detailed advice. But, if you haven't tried it, I would recommend BetterDS3 rather than the monstrosity of a GUI that ships with MotionInJoy.

http://betterds3.ciebiera.net/

Is better DS3 the one that tricks your PC into thinking it's an Xbox controller?

I went through the same thing a few months ago, and it was a huge PITA. I didn't have too much of an issue just getting the DS3 pad to work as long as it was plugged into a USB port, but getting it to work wirelessly was an exercise in frustration.

MotionInJoy has given me no end of problems. It's like one of those ancient paleolithic game consoles that when they broke, you had to fiddle with all kinds of stuff in the back of your TV and maybe it would work. Like, half the time. Maybe.

I don't have a PS2 controller, or an Xbox 360 controller. I have a Logitech gamepad that works with everything but it's hard and uncomfortable and hurts my hands. (I have small hands and the buttons are hard to press). I want to use my fairly comfortable PS3 DS controller but it only works about half the time, even when I fiddle with MotionInJoy.

I know there's guides online, and yes, I've googled the crap out of it, but it's all really complex stuff that involves a lot of software I've never heard of, and I don't want to install 396,729,032 drivers and programs that install who-knows-what else.

If it's possible, I'd like my PS3 controller to work with most of what I play.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Does anyone have any advice that might be fairly easy to understand?

Edit: I think I may have gotten it to work okay for the game in question, but…if there's an easier solution, I'd still be interested to know. :)

I used inputMapper, I believe that is what I posted when JDR was looking as well.

I haven't tried a control since I upgraded to windows 10 though.

https://inputmapper.com/

I don't have much to add other than I just ordered a wireless adapter for the Xbox 360 controller that allows you to use it with your PC. I hear that works pretty well right out of the box.

Also picked up a Wiimote and Nunchuk so I can play emulated Wii games on PC. Fun times ahead. :)

I don't have much to add other than I just ordered a wireless adapter for the Xbox 360 controller that allows you to use it with your PC. I hear that works pretty well right out of the box.

Also picked up a Wiimote and Nunchuk so I can play emulated Wii games on PC. Fun times ahead. :)

Yeah, it's much easier to use an Xbox controller with Windows because there are "official" adapters. Microsoft will never allow that to happen for Sony controllers for obvious reasons.

I play Wii games on my PC sometimes, but I choose to use K+M even though I have a Wii and all the peripherals for it. To be honest, the Wiimote is not a very efficient or fun method of control for most games. It might seem cool at first, but the novelty wears off real fast.

Yeah, it's much easier to use an Xbox controller with Windows because there are "official" adapters. Microsoft will never allow that to happen for Sony controllers for obvious reasons.

I play Wii games on my PC sometimes, but I choose to use K+M even though I have a Wii and all the peripherals for it. To be honest, the Wiimote is not a very efficient or fun method of control for most games. It might seem cool at first, but the novelty wears off real fast.

What I don't understand is - how is the motion control going to work with a Wiimote and Dolphin/PC? Do I still need to put one of those sensor bars on top of my monitor/television? o_O

I mainly got the Wiimote just to play certain motion control-only games, such as Mario Galaxy and the like. I actually enjoy using a Wiimote for Wii games, but then again I'm pretty much fine with any input device, including mouse/keyboard, controllers and the like.

What I don't understand is - how is the motion control going to work with a Wiimote and Dolphin/PC? Do I still need to put one of those sensor bars on top of my monitor/television? o_O.

Yes, but don't ask me how. I never tried it. I'm sure there's more than one "how to" guide on the web though.

That's if you insist on using an actual Wiimote. You don't have to, as there is built-in Wiimote emulation for mouse control. It works great for some games, but I'm guessing probably not so great for others.

My primary motivation to use Dolphin was so that I could play the Metroid Prime games with a mouse instead of the Wiimote. The only other Wii game I played was Xenoblade Chronicles, and I used a Logitech dual-analog pad for that.

Last edited:
Yes, but don't ask me how. I never tried it. I'm sure there's more than one "how to" guide on the web though.

That's if you insist on using an actual Wiimote. You don't have to, as there is built-in Wiimote emulation for mouse control. It works great for some games, but I'm guessing probably not so great for others.

My primary motivation to use Dolphin was so that I could play the Metroid Prime games with a mouse instead of the Wiimote. The only other Wii game I played was Xenoblade Chronicles, and I used a Logitech dual-analog pad for that.

I didn't know there was built-in Wiimote emulation. I tried playing Mario Galaxy with a gamepad but it told me I needed a Wiimote to play it. Not like I'm buying a Wiimote or anything, my mom gave me hers. I just bought the Nunchuk part for it and figure I will give it a try to play Mario Galaxy and other Wiimote-only Wii games.

Xenoblade Chronicles was great. I'm looking forward to trying the Last Story as well, with Wiimote in hand. :) I'll have to look up some guides on how to get it properly functioning with PC, though.

When you use a wiimote with Dolphin, you do need an infrared bar... or you can use a pair of candles!
The bar is not a sensor, it's just an emitter that provides two infrared points of light, which the wiimote uses to orient itself. You can buy very cheap replacement bars on eBay.

The rest of the wiimote control just communicates its motion as a normal Bluetooth device. I find it works perfectly.

Thanks so much, everyone! I'm sorry for not responding till now...(the last couple of days have been...well, nevermind). But I appreciate the responses and I look forward to tinkering. :)

Back
Top Bottom