Diablo 3 - Status Update Preview @ IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
IGN has a Diablo 3 preview with input from Jay Wilson that they've called a Status Update. It covers a variety of subjects - obviously including the recent caravan/artisan updates. Here's a snip on quests, which made me wonder if they've backed off on some of Leonard Boyarsky's influence a little:
In terms of the actual questing, Wilson commented on how they'll be structured and how they'll tie into each other as you progress through the game. "It's a very linear quest line. We actually tried a much denser, more complex quest system and we found that players who played Diablo games just didn't really want that. They wanted a more focused game. They wanted to stay focused on killing monsters, they didn't want a lot of weird side quests. We do side quests but we don't put them in the quest log, they're events that occur within a zone that you can go "Oh, this Hell portal need to be closed." And then you can close it and it'll go, "there's three more portals in this zone." And you can decide if you want to close those portals but it's optional, you don't have to."
More information.

Hmm.. that sounds like a step in the wrong direction. Killing monsters gets boring pretty fast when you are just left clicking as fast as possible on a bunch of skeletons.

Sounds like crap.

After seeing Guild Wars 2 i'm not particularly interested in any other online RPG, it handles everything just way ahead of everything else available and looks 10x better than anything else too..

Diablo has never been about the killing. Killing is a means to an end. The point is character building and collecting loot/gear. There's no point putting in an advanced questing system, dialogues and so on in a game where it's largely irrelevant.

I am looking forward to this title, spent many hours on Diablo 1 and 2. A good hack and slash RPG doesn't need to be boring, it's all about new gear, skills and advancement points, Diablo never failed in that aspect if you ask me!

Diablo has never been about the killing. Killing is a means to an end. The point is character building and collecting loot/gear. There's no point putting in an advanced questing system, dialogues and so on in a game where it's largely irrelevant.

I agree to an extent, but it's circular.

The ONLY reason you want loot/gear and a powerful character is so you can KILL some more. Well, and show off to your friends if you're into LAN/MP.

So, Diablo is VERY much about killing.

I don't expect any kind of innovation from Blizzard. More like an attempt to refine a genre, now that they've lost the people who made the originals great.

I'm curious if they can succeed. I consider it a success, if I'm entertained near the same level I was when playing Diablo 2.

There's no way the new Bliz can possibly get my excitement up to the point it was when I first discovered Diablo - so I won't have crazy expectations.

Blizzard is never in a hurry to release these things are they? I can only surmise they are having more fun making it than they have releasing it, and money just isn't an issue.

Ironic how in a previous interview one of the devs (the guy from the original Fallout series) said how questing, the narrative and dialogues in general would be more emphasised this time around.

I knew back then it smelled like BS.

I have a feeling that ultimately, this game's gonna be just like SC2: waaaaay overhyped and failing to deliver.

Indeed r3dshift, i remember that interview bit specifically, to me it was a much needed element for the Diablo's, yet in that interview, Rob Pardo was also convinced that adding more dialogue selection would slow the game down, he wanted to maintain the "fast-pace" - it looked to be no more than media momentum hype back then...and still is, here's that article link...

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/16/blizzcon-2008-blizzards-rob-pardo-on-diablo-3-starcraft-2/

Wulf.

Back
Top Bottom