iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs

Drithius

Magic & Loss
HAHAH! Why people continue to buy into this shit company, I have no idea. Think its your phone to do with as you wish? Apparently not.

The problem is known as "error 53" and has appeared in Apple products before.
The Guardian reports that users' phones were disabled after the Touch ID home button was repaired by a non-Apple engineer.
The issue appears to arise once devices have been updated to the latest operating system, iOS 9.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35502030

I've never been a huge fan of apples business practices but after using several android devices and a few Windows devices I've found that Apple gives me the best end user experience.

If android, Windows or some other platform can offer me a better experience I'll switch. Brand loyalty is dumb.

I'm using iphone 4 strictly for work because my company gave it to me.
It's okay phone, had a few quirks in past 4-5 years but nothing serious.

However for all it offers it was unbelievably expensive thing. IMO it'd cost less $ to buy a cheap chinese garbage phone monthly that does stuff just as good and can be tossed away when starts "behaving" without much loss. Windows or Android, doesn't matter.

The thing is, where I work gadget reliability doesn't matter.

From the linked article:
I did get the front screen replaced, and I understand that it's now considered "tampered with", but at least let me use my iPhone on the old IOS system.

After a couple of close encounters between my iPhone 6 and a concrete floor, I had the front screen replaced. By a non-apple service. No problems afterwards, and I'm using the latest ios 9 version. So the problem isn't a constant "feature".

pibbur who agrees that the phone is over-priced. But it's the one he's been most satisfied with.

I've never been a huge fan of apples business practices but after using several android devices and a few Windows devices I've found that Apple gives me the best end user experience.

If android, Windows or some other platform can offer me a better experience I'll switch. Brand loyalty is dumb.

The problem is that, once you've invested in it (songs, apps, etc) you can't move away unless you lose it all. If you have a Samsung android device, and then decide 2 years later to switch to HTC or whatever because they have a better and/or cheaper phone, everything you had before is still available.

Things which require an apple app (or appleapp, i like the sound of it) for copyright reasons, like books on iBooks would be difficult, same with videos bought on iTunes methinks.

But songs, books on kindle or other non appleapps, documents should be no real problem.

pibbur who has few appleapp specific things.

Last edited:
I have an iphone 6 from my company. I try hard to justify the price but i can't do it.It's a great phone but not for this price. My previus phone was a nexus 5 which gave me the same value as this.
Have to compliment though how apple connects her products with social status(at least here in Greece). Good marketing

For the record, when the time comes to replace my phone I will consider alternatives, especially products running windows (both phone and pad). I'm not married to apple.

pibbur who also thinks that some of apples business strategies are a bit shady.

The problem is that, once you've invested in it (songs, apps, etc) you can't move away unless you lose it all. If you have a Samsung android device, and then decide 2 years later to switch to HTC or whatever because they have a better and/or cheaper phone, everything you had before is still available.

Hmm, I transfer all my iTunes music to my PC and then to an android phone and vice versa. Never tried movies and I know I'd have to repurchase apps.

I have apps for android, Apple and Windows as I've used them all.

Anyway, I don't see this as a problem because if I have android and go to Windows or Apple Id have to rebuy some stuff also.

Maybe I shouldn't say it's not a problem but it's the same problem if you switch OS's no matter which one you have. So to penalize just Apple for that doesn't seem right.

Yes android has a bigger selection of phones and I've owned many of them, lg's, HTC, Samsung's and googles. Sure they have buttons in different places, some had a stylus and they all had there own software but after using them all. They all felt remarkably similar as at their core they're all android.

Initially I thought all the choice would be an advantage but after using many and seeing how similar they feel I no longer feel it's an advantage. Not for me at least.

I'm using iphone 4 strictly for work because my company gave it to me.
It's okay phone, had a few quirks in past 4-5 years but nothing serious.

My work also uses them, though I get them to order me a Samsung. Refuse to ever use an apple product even if it is free.

Yes android has a bigger selection of phones and I've owned many of them, lg's, HTC, Samsung's and googles. Sure they have buttons in different places, some had a stylus and they all had there own software but after using them all. They all felt remarkably similar as at their core they're all android.

Initially I thought all the choice would be an advantage but after using many and seeing how similar they feel I no longer feel it's an advantage. Not for me at least.

My brother just showed me his latest phone, It has an internal battery and an external battery, so the internal battery only works when the external is out (thus, lasts much longer because it doesn't go through the constant discharge/recharge cycles). It also has two SIM slots (or whatever they're called) so simultaneously he can receive and send calls from two different carriers (one from his work, one personal). Maybe his next phone will be nuclear powered with defensive laser rays. The thing is, he switched form his old phone and in an hour or so he had everything he had before. When you're married to Apple, you can only use whatever Apple decides what you should have.

My brother just showed me his latest phone, It has an internal battery and an external battery, so the internal battery only works when the external is out (thus, lasts much longer because it doesn't go through the constant discharge/recharge cycles). It also has two SIM slots (or whatever they're called) so simultaneously he can receive and send calls from two different carriers (one from his work, one personal). Maybe his next phone will be nuclear powered with defensive laser rays. The thing is, he switched form his old phone and in an hour or so he had everything he had before. When you're married to Apple, you can only use whatever Apple decides what you should have.

Married to Apple? I just use a product but if that's considered married then I have no problem with cheating or getting divorced. :biggrin:

As I said earlier, brand loyalty is dumb. I'll use what ever suits my needs best at the time. Just as your brother seems to be doing and so should everyone else.

I've always had a "personal" preference to Android devices, only because of the freedom they offer for a power user (Dosbox, roms, custom apk installs, file system access) but when the average user asks me (I'm in IT) what to get, I will the majority of the time suggest an iOS device. Much easier to support and much less headaches for them to deal with.

My work also uses them, though I get them to order me a Samsung. Refuse to ever use an apple product even if it is free.
But why refuse?
Sure iPhone is expensive, but is in my experience very reliable. And there are jobs out there that definetly depend on reliability it's just that... In my case it's not a necessity.

While marriage to a company was mentioned up there I think that phone should be bought depending on your needs. All have weak batteries and all have crapload of applications to use, it just comes down to if they'll slowdown fast, freeze or go loco frequently.

Needs don't include phonegames. Those are not needs.

Well, it is an excellent reason to hand in your iPhone to apple for cash and buy a android phone.

My computer magazine tells me that the next trend is going to be - the removal of SIM cards, and them getting replaced by tiny chips built in into the phone device. Married to a single service provider forever.
Reminds me of DRM.

I've been frustrated by the some of iOS updates, so much so that I swore my next phone will be an android. However, I really don't want to lose all the meta data in my iTunes music collection (album art, track info, etc). I hope there will be free converters that would import all the apple meta data into android form, but I doubt it will work well, based on my long history of dealing with these sort of things before….

Last edited:
I've been frustrated by the some of iOS updates, so much so that I swore my next phone will be an android. However, I really don't want to loose all the meta data in my iTunes music collection (album art, track info, etc). I hope there will be free converters that would import all the apple meta data into android form, but I doubt it will work well, based on my long history of dealing with these sort of things before….

That's what I'm talking about. Apple won't make it easy for you because they don't want you to get out of the marriage. And other companies can't make it easy for you because Apple won't approve any apps that can help you with that, so you have to go through different hoops to do it, which most people thinking about switching just won't bother.

That's what I'm talking about. Apple won't make it easy for you because they don't want you to get out of the marriage. And other companies can't make it easy for you because Apple won't approve any apps that can help you with that, so you have to go through different hoops to do it, which most people thinking about switching just won't bother.

Wolfing, there's plenty of things to rip on Apple about but not being able to get the music to android isn't one of them.

There are several ways to put Apple Music and even videos on android. Here's an article that lists a few and a simple google search will reveal many more.

http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-transfer-music-itunes-android-230232/

It's not a question if it's possible. It's a question of how well iTunes meta-data is preserved and used on android. That first article ignores this question. :/

Back
Top Bottom