Deus Ex 3 - PC Only Rumours are False?

DArt, you can't imagine going into a game with an open mind?

Like Pibbur, I read up on a game, but when it comes down to playing it I try not to have any preconceptions about the game. You can't see that was what Pibbur was saying? Really?? Or you just can't do that? In which case you must be disappointed a lot.

No, I'm using language in a way that perhaps requires precise reading.

You seem to be thinking I'm not capable of having an open mind, but if you read carefully, what I'm actually saying is that I'm unable to have NO thoughts about how a game MAY OR MAY NOT BE.

Do you see?

It's not that I don't have an open mind, it's that I'm thinking about games a lot - and very often I have ideas about what the games might be like upon release. That's why I come to places like this to discuss them.

Pibbur said, again if you read carefully, that he CHOOSES to NOT have an opinion - meaning he apparently has no thoughts about what the game may or may not be like - and he's able to do this by choice.

THAT I find suprising, which is why I asked a more in-depth question, because I thought he might be talking about not having a DEFINITE opinion, but as it turns out - he has no opinion at all.

No, I'm using language in a way that perhaps requires precise reading.

You seem to be thinking I'm not capable of having an open mind, but if you read carefully, what I'm actually saying is that I'm unable to have NO thoughts about how a game MAY OR MAY NOT BE.

Do you see?

It's not that I don't have an open mind, it's that I'm thinking about games a lot - and very often I have ideas about what the games might be like upon release. That's why I come to places like this to discuss them.

Pibbur said, again if you read carefully, that he CHOOSES to NOT have an opinion - meaning he apparently has no thoughts about what the game may or may not be like - and he's able to do this by choice.

THAT I find suprising, which is why I asked a more in-depth question, because I thought he might be talking about not having a DEFINITE opinion, but as it turns out - he has no opinion at all.

Pibbur has trouble with English every now and then and if you read carefully it was perfectly clear what he was saying in that he goes in with an open mind, but you picked it apart for its literal translation. You have to have a little imagination, my friend.

I highly doubt Pibbur meant that he has no opinion at all. If that is literally what he meant then I apologize, but to me it sounded like he went in with an open mind and you were just picking on his choice of words.

Btw, I did read carefully which is exactly why I commented on your post. I thought it was a little low to be nitpicking about certain word choices. I see that a lot where I work and it bugs the heck out of me.

Edit: I'm using language in a way that requires the use of an imagination.

I wasn't nitpicking, that is your misinterpretation.

I asked an in-depth question because I wanted to be sure what he was saying. He confirmed, so it's not that clear to me if he's not saying what he's saying - like you claim.

He seems to be pretty good at english, actually, so I don't really see your point in that way.

I personally think understanding is extremely important, and using my imagination is the last thing i'd do for certainty. Language is imperfect, but it's the only tool we have here.

If you want to imagine what people are really saying, that's your choice - but I'm very happy with my own approach.

I think this "imagination" approach is a GIGANTIC part of countless misunderstandings all around the world.

I like to understand people, and myself, and sometimes a measure of pedantic use of language is required before I can feel reasonably certain what's actually being said.

Perhaps I need to be a bit more precise:

1. I do have opinions, burt there are a lot of areas where I don't.
2. As for games: I can look forward to games (I did look forward to Dragon Age) which sounds interesting. I hope it will be something I like to play. But I don't spend time thining about whether it's likely to be a good game or not.

Take for example FO3. I looked forward to it, because I enjoyed playing Oblivion. But I didn't spend time considering whether it would be a "proper" fallout or not, and whether Bethsoft was likely to create a good game or not.

Maybe that's more like not having a definite opinion than not having an opinion after all.

As for choosing: I have been in and out of depressions for years. My default reaction to things people say is that they probably are mad with me, don't like me and such. Depressions are often treated with so called cognitive therapy. And one element of that is always to question my reactions, to see if there are other possible interpretations. And the choosing a less negative one ( the default one is in most cases incorrect). So I'm quite used to watching how I react. And to decide whether something is useful (to me) spending time and energy on. To protect myself.

Another issue: Between depressive episodes I'm in a state of dysthymia, which is a permanent slightly below a neutral emotional state. One effect of that is to some degree a flattening of my feelings - making it harder for me to be passionate.

Thank you for the clarification Pibbur.

It does indeed seem you don't "care" about games to the same degree as some of us, and that's neither good or bad from where I'm sitting.

Not that I see this even being a factor here, but for what it's worth - you seem like a very nice and considerate person and I have absolutely no issue with you, and I can't imagine being mad at you.

Just so you know ;)

I ask questions in a "cold" manner and that's because I'm obsessed with trying to understand things impartially. The price is that I seem arrogant and sort of "superior" in my own mind. That's VERY wrong, but I don't want to start being "imaginative" just to avoid being misunderstood. It's not that important.

@Pibbur Ok, nevermind on the problems with English. Seems perfectly fine to me :D It just sounded like in that post you were struggling with certain words.

@Dart Fine, I give DArt. You weren't nitpicking. You weren't doing what you always do. Fine, I don't have the stamina you do to duke it out with you over how you sounded and it's possible you weren't picking apart what he said and shoving it back in his face. Maybe you were really were just interested.

It's just hard to imagine because one of my first graders could of read what he said and figured out what he meant (that is an exaggeration don't take it literally, but you get the point).

Anyways, like I said you win. I don't really want to derail this thread any longer over something as silly as this. But in the future, maybe use a little more imagination. ;)

I ask questions in a "cold" manner and that's because I'm obsessed with trying to understand things impartially. The price is that I seem arrogant and sort of "superior" in my own mind. That's VERY wrong, but I don't want to start being "imaginative" just to avoid being misunderstood. It's not that important.

I'm really glad you said that DArt, because it does sometimes. A lot of the time and maybe I should not have gone after you like I did, but maybe you shouldn't of questioned my comprehension skills either. Sometimes wording is not "cold" it is more like a liquid and you need to read between the lines to get the whole meaning.

Pibbur has trouble with English every now and then..
I do
I highly doubt Pibbur meant that he has no opinion at all. If that is literally what he meant then I apologize, but to me it sounded like he went in with an open mind and you were just picking on his choice of words.
There are several issues where I choose not to have an opinion at all. Like for instance DeusX 3. Which also makes me having an open mind about it.

And as I said elsewhere. I do have opinions about other things.

But very often when reading the paper I find I ask myself: Is this something I really need to have an opinion on? For instance: Norway is a monarchy. I think a monarchy has no place in a democracy. The king and the royal family doesn't mean anything to me, and as long as they don't do something nasty, I couldn't care less. But papers write about them all the time commenting on their choice of clothes, where they spend their holidays and should they do this and that. I don't think they should be part of the system at all, apart from that, I have no opinion about their actions.

Thank you for the clarification Pibbur.

It does indeed seem you don't "care" about games to the same degree as some of us, and that's neither good or bad from where I'm sitting.

Not that I see this even being a factor here, but for what it's worth - you seem like a very nice and considerate person and I have absolutely no issue with you, and I can't imagine being mad at you.

Just so you know ;)
Thank you.

Ok, nevermind on the problems with English. Seems perfectly fine to me :D It just sounded like in that post you were struggling with certain words.

@Dart Fine, I give DArt. You weren't nitpicking. You weren't doing what you always do. Fine, I don't have the stamina you do to duke it out with you over how you sounded and it's possible you weren't picking apart what he said and shoving it back in his face. Maybe you were really were just interested.

It's just hard to imagine because one of my first graders could of read what he said and figured out what he meant (that is an exaggeration don't take it literally, but you get the point).

Anyways, like I said you win. I don't really want to derail this thread any longer over something as silly as this. But in the future, maybe use a little more imagination. ;)

Why don't you try not imagining things, and start trusting people when they tell you something.

If you can't believe I wasn't nitpicking, then maybe we have no business interacting - because trust of this basic kind is a foundation for useful interaction. So just ignore my posts, and all will be well.

I'm really glad you said that DArt, because it does sometimes. A lot of the time and maybe I should not have gone after you like I did, but maybe you shouldn't of questioned my comprehension skills either. Sometimes wording is not "cold" it is more like a liquid and you need to read between the lines to get the whole meaning.

I didn't question your comprehension skills.

Fine, you win DArt, I don't want to just ignore your posts because I do value what you say, but man you come off as arrogant sometimes. You can't tone down the "coldness" of them at all or try reading between the lines at all? I find this odd, but that is just me because I believe we have two totally different styles of writing. One analytical and one creative. Like oil and water, I guess.

Anyways, I'll repeat what I said because you may have not read it when I edited in there after I read your post (You put that in there while I was still writing)

Anyways, that is the last I'll speak of this.

@Pibbur you and I have the same approach to gaming. It works out well for me to just play the game for what it is and what I think it should be. I really need to add that to my signiture ;)

Edit: Ugghh you did it again :D Posted while I was writing. Ok I'll take your word for it that you weren't questioning my skills. I'll try to be a little more trusting in the future with you and deal with what you say at face value.

Edit: Ugghh you did it again :D Posted while I was writing. Ok I'll take your word for it that you weren't questioning my skills. I'll try to be a little more trusting in the future with you and deal with what you say at face value.

I thank you.

That would be really nice, and maybe you'll discover I'm not all bad and some of what I say might even make sense.

Back
Top Bottom