Too Retarded To Kill TW2 End-Game Boss

They are not really flushed down the drain.

The dragon fight is typical boss fight from WoW, you are expected do certain "other things" along with your character build, gear etc. There is no way a level 1 character can kill that dragon even if the player knows when to hit the dragon, when to run out of fire etc.

I am happy to do the "other things" for boss fights since it makes them different from your standard fights. I would love it if they combine the "other things" into lore/story/quest. For example you read a book in the game and that will tell you how to fight the dragon etc.

I don't think your melee or spell damage has a whole lot to say in either case actually. In Risen, it boils down to X hits, whether you hit like a fly or a polar bear. In 2W2 it's all about the harpoon damage if I recall correctly. Sure, you fight some elemental thingymabobs, but that part is rather easy compared to the flying.

It's more like using vehicles in World of Warcraft than regular boss fights. Like the tanks on the first boss of Ulduar - only your item level has any impact at all on those tanks. Your skills/abilities/class is irrelevant.

I don't think your melee or spell damage has a whole lot to say in either case actually. In Risen, it boils down to X hits, whether you hit like a fly or a polar bear. In 2W2 it's all about the harpoon damage if I recall correctly. Sure, you fight some elemental thingymabobs, but that part is rather easy compared to the flying.

It's more like using vehicles in World of Warcraft than regular boss fights. Like the tanks on the first boss of Ulduar - only your item level has any impact at all on those tanks. Your skills/abilities/class is irrelevant.

You are talking about Risen and Two Worlds 2 right? I do agree with you that in Risen your skills does not seem to matter. I have not played Two Worlds 2 so can't comment.

I was mainly talking about The Witcher 2, I think your skills does matter in that game. The damage you do to the dragon is affected by your weapon as well as your skills.

I think in general, boss fights need to be different from the standard fights and I am happy to see "outside mechanic" being introduced. However I do agree sometime they can go way overboard and completely ignore your character skills, similar to Risen and Ulduar in WoW.

You are talking about Risen and Two Worlds 2 right? I do agree with you that in Risen your skills does not seem to matter. I have not played Two Worlds 2 so can't comment.

I was mainly talking about The Witcher 2, I think your skills does matter in that game. The damage you do to the dragon is affected by your weapon as well as your skills.

This whole thread is about Two Worlds 2, not The Witcher 2. Noone here is discussion the dragon in The Witcher 2. Two Worlds 2 also ends with a dragon, one that is even more gimmicky than the one in The Witcher 2.

I generally type out the entire name of both games to avoid such confusion. I know we tend to stick to "2W2 - Two Worlds 2" and "TW2 - The Witcher 2", but the difference is too small to make sure people always get it right.

Crap :lol: I need to pay bit more attention to these thread rather than skim read :)

It does feel like "boss battles" of a console platformer nature inserted into some games feel like they are there due to publisher or marketing insistence that it isn't a game without console platformer or action-game style boss fights. Take Deus Ex:HR for example. The Boss battles feel like something reluctantly shoe-horned into the gameplay.

It seems it might also just be a lack of creativity; developers thinking boss battles have to be a console style fight against a mega boss. They should be climactic sure, but that doesn't mean they have to be Godzilla.

Thing is - even some of our favorite CRPGs will do this. In Fallout 2 the fight with Agent Horrigan was cool in some ways - the conversation and death groan; but the fight and need for the fight seemed questionable. I think developers will make the mistake of mostly finishing a game only to realize they didn't design in a climactic boss fight of the kind people are used to; then they insert one that is incongruous to the rest of the game.

Games that have skillfully avoided this I think include Planescape Torment, Fallout, and Fallout 3. While those first two have bosses in a sense they aren't some obligatory epic battle. They avoid being incongruous with the rest of the game by retaining the multiple-paths approach where fighting and in some cases even confrontation are optional. In Fallout 3 I liked that the only thing that resembled a traditional boss monster was on your side and bulldozing the way for you - this despite other criticisms we all might have about the ending and the game in general.

Well I actually beat the end game boss which is a miricle because i don't have great reflexes and frankly, Two World 2's controls are clunky for that sort of boss fight...

I kept going in to stealth mode when I really wanted to run
I kept hitting ~ key instead of using potions
When you get knocked down takes forever and ever to stand back up
When you get surround by bad guys you can spam your heal potion button all you want the game will do nothing

Was just a clunky ending and reminded me of some of the hardest levels of super mario brothers where one mistep means doing the entire exercise over and over again.

I like the rest of the game, but that ending stinks imho.

The end boss for Risen was silly too. But the best of most open world games are about the journey, rather than the destination. Although it's a nice bonus if the destination is good too. But 99.9% of your time spent is on the journey, so it should get most of the devs time. :)

Actually, final boss in Two Worlds 2 was a piece of cake for me (maybe 'cause I went with a good melee character with lots of resistance from the beginning =)), but I really hate Risen final boss fight: it reminded me a sort of platform game section, which I really dislike in an RPG, even with action elements...

Just wanted to add my general feeling of being very unimpressed with the final boss fight in Two Worlds II and amalgamate those feelings to the manifest anger of this thread. :)

It's a fight that feels entirely derivative from two games:

A) Dragon Age's final show down with archdemon
B) Dungeon Siege II's ballista blow out with the dragon at the end of Act II. (ugh!)

It felt very familiar and very irritating indeed. Thankfully, I had just enough healing and fire resistance ingredients to make enough potions to scrape by. I also had most of the resistance skills maxed out, otherwise I could have been in for some major tedium. Still, I got cooked a couple of times into reloads.

After defeating the ruddy thing I find myself strangely uncompelled to really continue by finishing up quests. I'm only level 39. But I think I'll give this game a rest and perhaps try out other faction quests with a new class when the expansion becomes cheap.

After defeating the ruddy thing I find myself strangely uncompelled to really continue by finishing up quests. I'm only level 39. But I think I'll give this game a rest and perhaps try out other faction quests with a new class when the expansion becomes cheap.

Exactly my feelings when I beat the end game boss. Just totally uninterested in doing anything further with the game.

Back
Top Bottom