Genres that need more RPG love

Absolutely yes to an Old West RPG!
Aldo, I'd like to see some of these settings:

- Contemporary (a la Bloodlines);
- Medieval/Steampunk (like Thief saga);
- Ancient Roman Empire (e.g. Nethergarde Resurrection);
- Ancient China/Japan (though not like Throne of Darkness, of course);
- Maybe Renaissance period, or 16th/17th century (Pirates, yarr! Even though Risen 2 is coming this year...).

There are a lot of historic periods that could make good RPG settings. I'd like to see a Bronze Age-ish pseudo-Mesopotamia, amongst other things.

I would love to see more games using non-standard, non-Tolkienesque fantasy settings like these:

Talislanta:
1323488583663.jpg

Tekumel (Empire of the Petal Throne):
1239040295046.jpg

And I agree about steampunk, there are never too many steampunk games.

Also:

- Jules Vernian Victorian Sci-Fi (like Martian Dreams)
- Barsoom (Edgar Rice Burroughs' "Princess of Mars" setting)
- pulp fiction in general

Horror is, obviously, one of them. I'd love to see a game with some heavy Lovecraftian elements, but not just an RPG with some horror-y stuff in it. It's mainly an action/adventure genre these days, sadly, and most future games will probably stay that way, but I think a very dark, possibly apocalpytic RPG could work really well.
I agree with this and it gave me a thought. We often have games that take place either right before an apocalypse (where the heroes must prevent it) or post-apocalypse. But it seems rare to have a game set during an apocalypse as it is happening. It would be cool to see more games like that.

Last edited:
Myrkrel said:
But it seems rare to have a game set during an apocalypse as it is happening. It would be cool to see more games like that.

You just made me remember Alone in the Dark's (in)famous driving sequence. It was one awesome little sequence, even if most people kind of hated out of how bloody unfair it was.

The Zettai Zetsumei Toshi games do that kind of thing pretty well, I think. I seem to remember at least the first two have been translated into english, so give them a shot if you have a playstation 2. Or a PC that can emulate one well enough, by which I mean most relatively modern ones.

They do kind of go to and fro apocalyptic and post apocalyptic all the time, though, with lulls in the action followed by OMG everything's coming down! moments.

The third one's probably the best, but that one's just for the PSP and I don't think it was translated. There was a fourth in the making, for PS3, but it was either delayed, or cancelled altogether, as it's release date was just a bunch of days after that tsunami thingie that happened over there a short while ago and it was deemed on very poor taste to release such a game just then.

They are much more of adventure games with action adventure elements thrown in than role playing games, though. But there is a bit of choice-ing and consequence-ing on them all the same.

Last edited:
Tartarus. Grinding the bleep out off Arqa 17-24.
An RPG set in the Thief world would be a dream game for me. Those games really captured my imagination.

More Arcanum, definitely.

The mythical Asian/martial arts (I don't what right term is) setting of Jade Empire was really fun. I also have the language limitation (I only know English and some Spanish), so importing something in Chinese would be difficult to get into.

Also, more RPGs in historical settings like Darklands. I recently found this Teudogar the Alliance with Rome, seems pretty cool. Has anyone here played it?

A real RPG set in the King Arthur RPG Wargame mythology has some potential, too…Especially with the Sidhe and other fantasical creatures to make it more interesting than a plain old historical UK setting.

Urban fantasy was mentioned, that could be cool. Hmm, maybe a Dresden Files RPG?

I agree with this and it gave me a thought. We often have games that take place either right before an apocalypse (where the heroes must prevent it) or post-apocalypse. But it seems rare to have a game set during an apocalypse as it is happening. It would be cool to see more games like that.

I think that's the best sort of setting for a horror-focused RPG. Then you don't have to rely on monster scares and the like, but let it build through setting and circumstances. Alternate creepy, distrubing, and the occasional standard scares to make a sustained experience.

Elisstar said:
The mythical Asian/martial arts (I don't what right term is) setting of Jade Empire was really fun. I also have the language limitation (I only know English and some Spanish), so importing something in Chinese would be difficult to get into.

Have you tried Prince of Qin and its much superior prequel, Seal of evil? You may enjoy them.

I also kind of believe one of the Sword & Fairy games just received a fan translation a short while ago, though I seem to remember it was quite hard to find.

Then you have The Legend of Cao Cao, a tactical role playing game quite freely based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. It even includes several different routes, choices, etc, as well as mystical and mythical elements, though not so much of that as, say, the Fantasia Sango games do.

And based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms you also have the Destiny of an Emperor series, some of which have been translated into english. Those are for NES, the Sega Genesis, and the Gameboy, so you'll need to use those emulator thingies to play them.

I'll add more later if I remember of more role playing games set in ancient china and translated into english either officially or by fans. :3

That NES game? where you play as Liu Feng after Liu Bei rose as the Emperor? I never quite understand how to proceed after that. No big loss, but yeah, alternate history RTK would've rocked. RTK X was my best chance of getting into officer's shoe and play a part in history, alas, Koei never released it for PC in English.

What about Xanth ?

You just made me remember Alone in the Dark's (in)famous driving sequence. It was one awesome little sequence, even if most people kind of hated out of how bloody unfair it was.

That scene reminds me a lot of the rooftop chase sequence in Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of the earth, at least in how it is set up. Enough so that I think I'll have to give the recent Alone in the dark a try at some point in a not too distant future. For you who have not played Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of the earth, the rooftop chase sequence that happens early on in the game is one of the most intense scenes that I've ever encountered in a game. At the end of it, I could really feel my heart pounding and the adrenaline flowing (and it was expertly followed up by a sequence that was the polar opposite of the chase sequence, which just enhanced the creepiness of that part).

Modern day, to do with the occult. Like the Shin Megami Tensei games (Persona 4, Devil Summoner) but a Western/PC RPG take on it with lots of stats, C & C, large explorable enviornments.

Another vote for a western RPG - that's what I kept thinking the whole time I played RDR.

An RPG taking place during the conquest of the New World.

A supernatural RPG, taking place during the Salem witch trials.

A Military RPG - you start the game in basic training, work your way up the ranks, it could be part RPG, part Strategy game.

A South Park RPG - oh wait :)

Medieval RPG, hold the fantasy.

Wizardry 9 :) I can hope.

you also have the Destiny of an Emperor series, some of which have been translated into english.

I played the NES Destiny Of An Emperor, I totally LOVED that game.

It's not the sort of thing that would attract the munkin-gamer, naturally, but I think it could work. You'd have to focus more on escape and survival than pure combat, at least initially, but you would still get a sense of progression over time as you gained the skills to take on at least some of the beasties that initially chased you off, and there's always human foes (cultists, zombies, etc.) to serve as mooks. It would be hard to do really well, I admit.

I could see that. In order to pull it off, I think the creatures would have to take a lot of effort and strategy to defeat at a higher level, with no chance of defeating them at a lower level. An alternative could be to build up sneaking skills and try to sneak around them...but then, if you know that enemy is there, it kind of takes away some of those thrills.

I would welcome anything that is not high fantasy, really. Low fantasy, sci-fi, western, modern, horror, just as long as it is not high fantasy. It is not that I hate high fantasy, I just think there is way too much of it on the market.

But what I really would like to see is either hard sci-fi, really low fantasy, or Victorian age with a slight supernatural twist. Or why not a 30's CRPG with a gangster theme?

Tékumel is long overdue, imho.

Could it be that they are trying to avoid risks with the non-use of other-than-fantasy settings ?

Could it be that they are trying to avoid risks with the non-use of other-than-fantasy settings ?
Yes I think that is definitely the case - especially the bigger publishers don't want to take risks on non-standard settings and genres. There is no guarantee that these niche genres will sell well, but they know for sure that many people like standard fantasy settings.

The same thing has happened with movies - studios mostly rehash what is already proven to be successful, instead of trying new things.

In my opinion, the best hope for the use of these other genres is the indie game scene. With smaller teams and less production costs they can afford to take risks on niche genres.

relayer said:
Modern day, to do with the occult. Like the Shin Megami Tensei games (Persona 4, Devil Summoner) but a Western/PC RPG take on it with lots of stats, C & C, large explorable enviornments.

A supernatural RPG, taking place during the Salem witch trials.

A man after my fickle, witchy heart. :glomp:

So many figurative tears have I shed over Cyclopean's demise.

rk47 said:
That NES game? where you play as Liu Feng after Liu Bei rose as the Emperor?

That's the one, I believe. Though I never got that far myself so I don't know for certain. :blush:

And I will be forever envious of those who like you can play Koei's Romance of the Three Kingdoms games without getting overwelmed by all those numbers and, like, thingies and stuffies.

fnord said:
That scene reminds me a lot of the rooftop chase sequence in Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of the earth, at least in how it is set up. Enough so that I think I'll have to give the recent Alone in the dark a try at some point in a not too distant future.

The game has equal parts of awesome and awful, so whether you enjoy it or not will mostly depend on whether or not those things it does well are the ones you value and whether those it does awfully are the ones you can overlook. I liked it well enough myself, and I loved what it was trying to do. It didn't really deserve all the bad rep it got.

Get the PS3 version if you can, though. It is kind of a definite edition, as they took criticism to heart and used the extra time to fix this and that, polish some rough edges, and even add a small new sequence with a pretty cool boss battle at the end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom