Warlords IV what it worth?

Dasale

SasqWatch
I have read a review about it that was rather positive about the tactical value of battles. I wonder what really worth this game and if it worth the time to install it and enter in its gameplay system.

Is it really so better than HOMM series from the battles point of view?

The game is fun, I liked it a quite a lot when I gave it a whirl some time ago. The combat is interesting, entertaining, however I can't really say that it's that tactical or anything. Compared to HoMM, Age of Wonders or even Disciples it's rather simple.

Well, you have a group of up to 8 units, againts another one. You pick one, the opponents picks one, and they fight till one of them dies. Rinse and repeat. There's more to it, of course, since every unit has special abilities and so on, but that's the general idea.

Personally, I think Warlords 3: Darklords Rising is VASTLY superior in nearly every way.

WL4 had a few interesting new features, and the way combat worked was an improvement in certain ways.

But overall, I'd strongly recommend WL3: DLR over WL4 - and I'd even say it looks better.

I quite enjoyed W3 (W4 much less, although I'd still like to see W5 someday) but regard them as inferior to HoMM. Apart from buffing and selecting your next unit, you are not able to directly influence battles - which I found rather frustrating. I prefer HoMM and Age of Wonders where you have a battlefield over which to deploy your units, pick your targets, etc.

The strategy part though I found quite similar to HoMM, Disciples, & AoW - namely, build up one or two uber-heroes with super stacks of creatures. I guess one of the issues around an experience-point based system for heroes is that you pour all your efforts into levelling up 1-2 heroes until they become unbeatable (and, because you've put so much effort into doing so, you inevitably reload if they get killed).

I like the brisk pace of Warlords a lot, but I admit it's less intricate and detailed compared to HoMM. The lack of tactical combat means the game flows more fluidly, and you don't get bogged down in micromanagment to the same extent. But it's a matter of personal preference, naturally.

But I will say they're both equally good in their own ways, and I think WL3: DLR is the peak, just as HoMM3 is the peak of the HoMM series.

If you haven't tried it, I'd say give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom