Damn computer keeps shutting down during games!!

During games ?

My theory is that the games need so much power/current from the side of the graphics card that it sucks too much power/current which the power supply cannot give.

I don't know what the English word is for that, but I assume that the machine would just go off because the power supply is "overloaded" (?)

It is drained by much more power/current need than it can give.

Plus the other components don't get power /current as well, then.

And this can be dangerous, because it damages all other components, then.

Good to hear that. I'm curious to hear what the problem really was.

Well I finally fixed the problem.

Seems that it wasn't my computer at all...... the breaker in my surge protector was tripped and I hadn't realized it. :embarrassed:

My surge protector sits quite a ways under my desk and I rarely take notice of it, in fact most of the time I forget that it's even there. Someone on a tech site mentioned his computer doing random shut-downs and then noticing that his surge protector wasn't working properly. So I looked at my SP and sure enough only 1 of the 2 green LEDs was lit. I shut my system down, flipped the SP off and on, and reactivated the protection. There must have been a power outage a ways back that tripped the mini-breaker in there and I never noticed the other light wasn't lit.

Evidently there must be a lot of small power fluctuations in the house I live in, or perhaps it's just the particular wall outlet. I think that, combined with a lower quality PSU (something I discovered after doing more research on mine), was causing all the shutdowns.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have evil to vanquish....

Good to hear it's fixed. Sometimes it really is that simple. Sorry none of us actually were any help. :p

Dirty voltage!

Went and purchased a new surge protector today. After I thought about it I realized I had been using the same one for over 8 years!

Not bad ! 8 years is a long time in the computer business !

You can be kind of proud that it lasted that long !

Still using CRT monitor?! My last CRT was 17" Viewsonic monitor. Currently using HP 22" LCD and very satisfied with it.

Still using CRT monitor?! My last CRT was 17" Viewsonic monitor.

Yep, it's a Viewsonic 'Graphics Series' G90f 19" CRT. I love the picture quality, and the screen has suffered zero degradation even after 8 years. It's hard to find monitors of that quality any more.

One thing that's been keeping me from getting a new monitor is the fact that my GF and I might be moving out of state soon, at least we're trying to. I figured I would just keep my G90f until we moved, and then buy a new monitor after we settled into our new place.

Whoever ends up buying our house will also get to keep the 50+ lbs monster sitting on my desk! :lol:

Last edited:
I bought my iiyama "Vision Master Pro 411" monitor in 1999 or in 2000.
I'm still using it. ;) Right now, I'm watching how my letters typed in through a cheap keyboard are displayed on that screen. ;)

*Really* good monitors survive ages.

I'm still using my IIyama 19" HM903DT too, though it's for my old pc. It still works and it's a much higher quality then most of the TFT's or LCD screens. The only downside of a CRT is the space it takes.

Back
Top Bottom