Legend of Grimrock - Gold!

Well, I guess I can appreciate that. I was a huge fan of those games back in the 90s - but I fear I've become more demanding. I can enjoy them, mostly because of nostalgia, but it's not something that can excite me today.

Unless, of course, they've done something with the basic design and mechanics. If they've written a good story and made some strong levels/puzzles/mechanics - then it might be great. But, based on the videos, it looks like a very simplistic Dungeon Master clone - albeit with absolutely amazing visuals for an indie.

Fun to look at, but something that will grow old very quickly - for me.

It looks like it'll be packed full of puzzles as well as challenging combats, (they didn't want to spoil the puzzles so they aren't shown in the videos) it will be significantly cheaper than a AAA title to, so I'll certainly pick it up for a dabble, I suspect I'm gonna love it. :)

Daniel.

I was a huge fan of those games back in the 90s - but I fear I've become more demanding. I can enjoy them, mostly because of nostalgia, but it's not something that can excite me today.

I have a similar feeling. Back in my Amiga days, I loved Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder. In fact, the latter became one of my favourite Amiga games. But nowadays, as games grew more complex, I expect "more" from an RPG.

Although, if reviews are favourable, I might check this game out for the sake of nostalgia but frankly, I don't know if I still have the patience to carefully scout all the walls one by one for hidden buttons.

Interestingly an old school game such as this is in many way more complex than a modern RPG, compare it with Mass Effect 3 for example. LoG has a full inventory, encumbrance system, allows for a larger party, has STATS, allows you to pick a race and class etc.

And it's not just fighting, you have puzzles and confusing maze aspects, it's really a blast from the past, I'd say it's more of a pure RPG than ME3, LoG is less of a an opera of course. ;)

Each to their own of course, I personally can't wait! :biggrin:

Daniel.

Well, I'd never play ME3 for the RPG aspects - though I'd claim it's vastly deeper in terms of dialogue and story (or so it would seem).

As for the mechanics of Grimrock - I won't know until I see it, but it doesn't look much different from Dungeon Master. It has some stats and stuff - but it's all rather simplistic looking. Are there special powers or just straight-up skills? Even ME3 has a lot of unique powers for each class.

What about story? Is there much of it, or just a few text-bits on walls?
What kind of NPC interaction can we expect?

Stuff like that.

I like a decent dungeon crawler - but it needs complex and meaty character/loot mechanics to satisfy me.

Well, given how many indie games there are with great gameplay and horrible graphics, I really hope this won't be a case of great graphics but bad gameplay! In that case there has been some horrible mismatching in the market.

Interestingly an old school game such as this is in many way more complex than a modern RPG, compare it with Mass Effect 3 for example. LoG has a full inventory, encumbrance system, allows for a larger party, has STATS, allows you to pick a race and class etc.

And it's not just fighting, you have puzzles and confusing maze aspects, it's really a blast from the past, I'd say it's more of a pure RPG than ME3, LoG is less of a an opera of course. ;)

Each to their own of course, I personally can't wait! :biggrin:

Daniel.

In all fairness, Mass Effect is not exactly a prime example of RPG complexity. I was referring more to games like e.g. FO, PS:T and Arcanum, which offer IMO a richer and deeper RPG experience when compared to older games.

Regarding the complexity of the game mechanics that you mention, few people, if any, will disagree with you. But things like story, C&C, NPC interaction, etc., which are elements that have grown in "importance/presence" over the years, are largely absent in games like DM and EOTB.

In any case, I won't lose sight of LoG and you never know, I might end up dungeon crawling my way through its mazes and tunnels, pulling levers and pushing buttons :).

I think we'll be safe, the gameplay should be very similar to DM & EOB. If you fancy a blast from the past with modern graphics and various improvements go for it! :)

Daniel.

I just figure to hear what the early purchasers have to say before deciding. I'm in the middle of an MM7 playthrough, so my gaming time is set for the near future. In a couple weeks several people here will have posted impressions and Maylander may have played through it 3 times by then ;)

These guys worked fast. Seems like yesterday when they showed their "just moved into the office" pictures! Curious how it will turn out. I'm not a particular fan of the genre, but I will definitely get it if it gets some love from the Watch, so I'm hoping some of you will post impressions.

Very interested!

Though I will admit I haven't followed the development very closely. Does anyone know if the combat is real time or turn based? My enjoyment of the EoB series ( I think I had #2? ) was limited because I felt like I was playing whack-a-mole with the attack buttons, since the characters didn't automatically attack or something, it's been a long time. Even a queue system, ala KotOR, would be an improvement.

I haven't played a game in a long while, too busy with Unfettered, but for some reason this is really calling to me.

It's real time just like the original games. :)

Daniel.

15$ ? - Day 1 purchase for me. I support all developers creating Dungeon Master games ;)

Being real time really isn't a problem, the original games played fine that way, and you can adjust the difficulty if you find it to easy or to hard. It just wouldn't be the same type of game any more if they changed it to turn based.

I'm not sure the price is public knowledge yet by the way, I suspect it'll be less than $30 but I'm not certain just what it will be.

Daniel.

As for the mechanics of Grimrock - I won't know until I see it, but it doesn't look much different from Dungeon Master. It has some stats and stuff - but it's all rather simplistic looking. Are there special powers or just straight-up skills? Even ME3 has a lot of unique powers for each class.

What about story? Is there much of it, or just a few text-bits on walls?
What kind of NPC interaction can we expect?

Stuff like that.

I like a decent dungeon crawler - but it needs complex and meaty character/loot mechanics to satisfy me.

Agreed. I'll probably pick it up but all I've really seen are pretty screens.

Being realtime, the combat needs to be responsive and, for me, content (quests, choices, characters, narrative, interesting locations to explore) is King - haven't really seen much about all of that.

I don't know if I agree here. I don't know mcuh about Grimlock, but when your talking about actual old school games from back in the day, they reallly weren't as complex as you make them sound. I mean yes you had stats, race and a class, but once you picked them you generally had no other customization and things were pretty simple. Basically you said "I'm a strong dwarven fighter" and that was it, you had no other choices to make about your character and you just hit the attack key for him every round until the monsters were dead. Even the most simple of modern games such as ME3 gives many more options then that.

I see what you are saying, they are very different games. There are parallels though, in Mass Effect you shoot your gun till the enemy is dead stopping occasionally to use a special power. (just like casting a spell in LoG in fact)

Hopefully many people have room for both types of games in their collection. :)

Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom