Pillars of Eternity - Thoughts & Impressions

gize, one question: does Might influence your ability to heal damage to yourself (via potions) or others (via spells)? I haven't really found a clarification anywhere. The latter would make might a pretty good attribute for priests (which it otherwise isn't, really). Thanks. :)

Back to the game: I am really impressed with the writing so far. Some of the lead-ins to big encounters (the "Watcher Visions" are a good example) have been very gripping. There is a bit of a Planescape: Torment vibe in the more mystical/philosophical themes, along with some of the characters themselves, that i really like. Also, as much as I love the characters in PS:T, I like how they are more grounded in PoE. Still unique and quirky, but a bit more relate-able at the same time.

@Sacred Path: I believe that's correct, might should contribute to the strength of healing spells, if I remember correctly. My priest (Durance) mostly focuses on buffs, which benefits from other attributes, but according to the manual, might "contributes to both Damage and Healing as well as the Fortitude defense"

Well said, Nerevarine! Some of the conversations I've had in the game have simply been gripping. Excellent writing, indeed, and very immersive stuff! Needless to say I am extremely impressed with this aspect of the game as well.

Wow! I got my CE in the mail today. That was quick! I got the t-shirt, which is quite warm, but nice. I got a cheap, flimsy mouse pad that might last a week, and I got a huge honking box that feels pretty light. I haven't opened it yet, but I don't need the contents so there is no hurry.

The only thing I have taken away from the last 2-4 pages of this thread is there is people have alot passion about this game. it is nice to see though I do feel a few of the post got a little personal.

It is a good to great game so far I have about 10 to 12 into it. The only thing I am not found of is the combat. Like HiddenX I do think it should be a turn base combat, also still half the time I can't tell if my part has taken my commands. I have now sort started giving commands then unpause, pause, unpause repeat.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there's a collector's edition that will be sold in stores, or was that something they only did for backers?

I haven't purchased a boxed PC game in years, but I wouldn't mind getting a CE in this case if the goodies are interesting enough.

Does anyone know if there's a collector's edition that will be sold in stores, or was that something they only did for backers?

I haven't purchased a boxed PC game in years, but I wouldn't mind getting a CE in this case if the goodies are interesting enough.

I have read here that the goodies are okay to cheap at best. Though I have not seen them myself.

Pillars was the 9th most played game today, and 2nd most played rpg, behind Skyrim. I think the peak was 30,000+ players…

Of course, this is just the steam version, so it doesn't count however many might have got the Gog version.

I might be inclined to sell my CE I got via mail today. I am making a large, wall shadow box that includes some of the other materials I got along with my custom "Avellone Troll" art, but I don't think I'm including any CE stuff in it. Maybe the mouse pad or map, I dunno yet.

Considering the digital "Royal Edition" is like 80 bucks, this CE may be out of your price ranges (evil laughter). But I'll listen to PMs...

After having played over 20 hours now I must say the combat does become better when you hit level 4. The encounters can be a little irritating at level 3 (esp shadows) but there is definitely a difference once you level up. Having played a wizard, perhaps Eder is just too weak a damage dealer at level 3 to be effective? But I learned how to be effective because I'm exceedingly patient. :)

Just got ownership of the keep and at that point the game most definitely reminded me of baldurs gate *warm buzz*. Raedrics keep allowed alot of choices as to the conclusion. I'm enjoying the game. It can only get better with more feedback and honest critique.

I like the auto slow motion option and wish we could fine tune animation speed in the options, wish to have it even slower for combat.
As for the writing, I like it very much, but I learned, I cannot hear an english speaker and read german at the same time, it confuses me massively, will set game fully english.

I'm ~15 hours in and just got my stronghold as well.

My current rating tendency is 8,5/10 (might of course change), which for me personally would make it even with BG1, DA:2, DA:I, Witcher 1 & 2 and better than WL2, SR:Dragonfall (both 8,0), D:OS, Blackguards, and Mars: War Logs (all 7,5).
I'm not having as much fun (yet) as I've had with BG2, DA:O or ME trilogy though.

I don't really want to read too much about the game at this stage, as I prefer going into it without spoiling anything. So I can't comment on your thoughts quite yet.

All I can say after around 10 hours with it, is that it's very, very good. I'm enjoying it much more than I expected - and I think the game shows a lot of love and care. Probably my favorite Obsidian game so far, and it's refreshingly polished and bug-free.

I was honestly expecting a straight-up fan-service game made with little more love and attention than they needed to pull off a nostalgia-driven trip down memory lane. I'm glad to be wrong about that.

The writing is great, though still a little too "much" for its own good - as I mostly prefer a more down-to-earth style, but it hasn't gone too far in the weird direction yet - and thankfully they've stayed away from "spirit-eater" mechanics as well. It's well written and the dialogues are strong.

Not a big fan of the over-the-top dream/past/whatever stuff that's all over the place. Perhaps a bit more subtlety and a bit less of it would have helped. But that's just me.

Can't say I'm too in love with the party NPCs yet, but at least they're not in-your-face Bioware style. They're decent and have just enough personality to make you remember them, but I've yet to see true stand-outs. Should be said, though, that I have two members of my own creation in my party.

I love the little RP sections where you get to make a few choices to hand-drawn depictions of what's going on. Lovely touch.

I'm enjoying the combat more than I feared, but that's largely because the game starts out with just you and another party member - and I've been able to slowly adjust to more and more members. On Hard, the challenge is just about perfect - and it requires me to position my fighters wisely - and I really like the engagement mechanic. I still hate that I can't customize my AI - and it's full of awkward moments where my guys stop attacking for strange reasons - with some walking back and forth because of messy pathfinding (better than the crappy IE pathfinding, though), and I can't see any excuse for not having, at least, basic AI setups with "stay ranged", "defend/tank", and stuff like that. But the actual combat mechanics are so enjoyable that I can adjust without too much irritation. It's cared for - and it feels like learning D&D all over again, which is wonderful for me - as I'm a big fan of discovering new systems.

The exploration is also just about perfect. There's a lot to find that's off the beaten path, and you get appropriate rewards for scouting and being thorough in your search for hidden stuff. There's already been a few little riddles and they haven't been complete pushovers, which is great.

Character classes all seem to have plenty of distinction and they really stepped up from the earlier betas when it comes to abilities. It seems to have more stuff to play with than 3rd Edition Core rules - provided you ignore multiclassing - which I didn't really expect. A very nice surprise for me.

The visuals are very good - and it's full of wonderful scenery detail. It's just really nice to look at - and the character animations are nicely done, and a big step up for Obsidian.

I'm enjoying the music - and I particularly liked that beach area tune. Can't remember the name right now, but it was very pleasant.

As mentioned, I'm missing the ability to multiclass - but it's less of a big deal because it's clearly a party-oriented game. But it would have added tremendously to replayability for me - as I tend to focus on new classes and builds for my replaying enjoyment.

Biggest omission, for me, is the lack of cooperative multiplayer, which even the first BG had. This could have been a fantastic game to play with a friend or two - and I think that's a big missed opportunity.

You can't have it all, I guess.

Overall, it's a very strong game for fans of the genre - and it's sure to be a big hit with the Watch - but I guess you already know that.

It all depends on how it holds up over time - and if it can stay interesting and challenging. If so, it could become a true classic - and might even best BG for me.

I was honestly expecting a straight-up fan-service game made with little more love and attention than they needed to pull off a nostalgia-driven trip down memory lane. I'm glad to be wrong about that.

Those fears could have been put to rest by reading, oh, one or two updates during development :p

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game though.

Those fears could have been put to rest by reading, oh, one or two updates during development :p

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game though.

That would probably depend on the level of trust you have in the developers and the game they're trying to make.

Suffice to say, I don't trust Obsidian blindly like so many of you seem to do.

But I'm starting to come around on that :)

Still, it's only 10 hours in - and I'm not over the honeymoon period yet. We'll see in a few days.

I guess I meant "compared to Obsidian standards".

Obviously, I didn't mean literally bug-free :)
Yeah... with some minor bugs I consider a game "bug-free" as well. But this one my be a deal breaker.

The only thing about the interface/ controls that bugs me is the lack of shortcuts for my bear companion. It hangs around at the rear end of the group when it's supposed to be up front, tanking. Sort of tiresome, but far from something major.
You can control him directly by clicking on his icon on your ranger's portrait.

There has actually been quite a few tests and research that more or less confirm this. Basically, it's not always at exactly "12", but more along the lines of "pre-to-mid teens" (11-16 or so I guess), and it has been confirmed that we are far more impressionable at that age, so things that are simply "good" later on would be "AWESOME!!!" at that age.

This is why they say that you never forget your first kiss :D

Back
Top Bottom