The Witcher - Enhanced Edition Live!

The base patch and the Engilsh language pack are on Fileplanet now too.

Played a bit further, and, yes, there are differences. The peasants and townsfolk look slightly more diverse, although there are still lots of identical siblings around. The inventory is nicer to use. And... dice poker opponents no longer bet like morons. In fact, I just lost my shirt playing Haaren Brogg. It's clearly no longer an automatic moneygram.

And... dice poker opponents no longer bet like morons. In fact, I just lost my shirt playing Haaren Brogg. It's clearly no longer an automatic moneygram.

I SO want them to produce a REAL dicebox set to sell from their site.

Wish I had woodworking skills.

It's not going smooth for me. I got the files but, when I tried to upgrade, it said I needed to register the game first. Ooops! OK, fine - luckily I still have my manual after 6 months. I regeistered my copy and... the updater STILL refuses to update, saying I have not registered the game. When I start the game, the little splash screen has 'Register" dimmed so that understands that I have registered the game.

I hope they didn't put the registry info somewhere in the user profile of the registry. Vista forces update programs to run as Admin and I registered under my normal account. If they put the registry info under current user instead of local machine, there's going to be awful problems..... (looks)

Yep. That's exactly what they did. Major idiotic move there. OK, here's what you have to do to fix this:

1. Open up RegEdit. Navigate to CD Projekt RED folder in Current User\Software and highlight it.
2. Go under the file option and pick Export. Have it export the selected branch. Save the file somewhere that all accounts can get to (like maybe C:\Games, or maybe C:\IWillNotIgnoreWindowsStandards).
3. Close RegEdit then run it again, but this time right click on the program to run it and select Run As Administrator.
4. Under the file menu, select import then select the file you just saved.

You should be set. Close RegEdit and run the updater again as admin.

Alrik: They are .bik files. Does any game use anything other thank Blink video? ;)

P.S. I installed over the Polish uncensored version. It worked fine but now the game is censored again. Oh well, hopefully the better dialog will make that less painful. (Awww, no princess running around stark naked in my dungeon?? <smirk>)

Last edited:
Oh Dear. I threw away The Witcher box. The Registration Key in the manual (overlooked it) is needed to install this patch. Guess I'm screwed!

Thus far, not terribly impressed.

I'm near the end of Chapter 1, where there's that annoying fight they drop you in without warning, just after a lengthy cutscene.

Guess what? They still do that -- and either my m4d w1tch3r sk1llz are very rusty, or they've made it *even more difficult* -- on my last play-through, I beat it on the first or second try; I've now tried it about six or seven times and still fail to beat it it.

I would have hoped that they'd have balanced that one a bit better, and at least added a possibility to save and prepare for it. But I guess they preferred to add different kinds of clothes for peasants.

Edit: Tried it about fifteen times now, still no luck. I think what they did was close a loophole -- in the original version, using a particular sign on the critter would usually topple it and you could finish it in one move; now it's almost immune to it. I also have no resistance against its special attack, which leaves me standing defenseless rubbing my eyes as I get torn to pieces. Frustrated.

Last edited:
I upgraded The Witcher last night. I just let it upgrade itself when I went to bed at around 1AM or so.

It took forever to download the language file and the upgrade patch. I did choose the GB version, though. You could also choose the polish version of you so choose.

I did register my game on the witcher forums. I just had to provide the info I use to log into the forums - and away it went - with the downloading, I mean...

I'm sorry for those of you who do not longer have your manuals or boxes; you can always buy the Enhanced version, though. That's what I'm doing - primarily to get access to all the extra content in physical form.

edit:

As for dice poker as real game - why not suggest this on the Witcher forums?

Last edited:
Prime Junta, your exeperience was mine during the first play through. I was very dissapointed seeing it still beeing here. Unchanged, Despite bugs and showstoppes, this was pure bad design choice. I would have been glad if they removed it.

Since after a certain point before this they remove any opportunity stocking up your inventory. I was out of important potions and couldn't find any alchemy based alcohol (no one to buy from) i had to backtrack my saves pretty far just to be able to obtain the Blizzard.

I did beat it the same way as before, but i guess it was as much luck now as then.

I am not surprised people stop playing witcher in chapter one...
Oh well, i still don't know whats new and whats old. But i like playing it on my new computer! :)

My witcher ee install didn't go as smooth as I had hoped. First time when I updated from 1.3, the game crashed right after I clicked "play". So I was like..ok maybe there is something corrupted..Next I did a reinstall plus updated it from 1.0 instead of 1.3. Guess what, It still crashed!!!! I looked the forums for a solution and to put the long story short, some guy had figured out that crashes had something to do with EAX. So I uninstalled it *again*, but before updating I launched my vanilla witcher and disabled the eax from game's options. The updating process took forver again, but this time the game launched normally and I finally got to play it. I posted this in case anyone else is getting black screen after lauching the witcher EE.

I am not surprised people stop playing witcher in chapter one...
Oh well, i still don't know whats new and whats old. But i like playing it on my new computer! :)

Well, I finally beat it. No Blizzard either; that didn't really help. My winning strategy was...

...protecting Abigail, using the group style; when no barghests were around, I switched to fast style and kept attacking the Beast and then jumping back, and using Aard on it whenever I was charged up enough. It worked. Eventually.

PJ did you remember to use the right oil too? I belive it was called the specter oil

Played part way through chapter 1 now. Need to convince 1 more person before the rev will help me.

I'm very disappointed to see that Geralt has retained his tendancy to put his weapon away every time he opens a container, talks to someone, takes more that 3 steps in any given direction or indeed spots a large group of enemies who are undoubtedly going to attack. It's particularly annoying when the weapon in question is a torch, and it's the only thing allowing me to see anything at the time.

Still, I've seen some elements that I believe are new which I quite liked and some of the conversations have definitely been redone. Whether this will hold true for some of the later ones that didn't seem to make a lick of sense my first time through remains to be seen.

Question for those of you who downloaded your upgrade:

How long did the patch installation take? (not the downloading, which I've already done, but installation.)

I'm asking because I've been sitting here for nearly 50 minutes waiting for this thing to install. I know it says it could take up to two hours, but is that really true? I just didn't expect and can't figure out why it's taking so long. Hope it hasn't screwed up and I'm wasting my time.

Typical for Asia, game isn't here yet so I had to download the upgrade yesterday. After the download finished it took at least an hour maybe an hour and a half to complete the installation. I widdled away the time playing Eschalon in Windowed mode. I figured that game was ok to play since it didn't take too much CPU power to run it.

I just started and I see they really did take some of the comments from the fanbase seriously. The got rid of calling Triss "babe" and changed it to "Child". That's a little change but still an improvement. I'm still in the tutorial so I haven't really gotten a chance to see all of the changes yet, although I love the inventory system now. Two bags one for alchemy and one for everything else is great. Plus the filter for the herbs is a time saver.

Last edited:
I'm asking because I've been sitting here for nearly 50 minutes waiting for this thing to install. I know it says it could take up to two hours, but is that really true? I just didn't expect and can't figure out why it's taking so long. Hope it hasn't screwed up and I'm wasting my time.
They're not really joking about the time it takes. I think it took about 1 hour and 20 minutes for me, with a harddrive in desperate need of defragmentation.

Update: About ten minutes after I wrote that last entry the game install completed. So all in all it took about an hour. I have noticed some significant changes to the dialogue (I've played the 1st part of the game several times so I'm very familiar with that part). It is definitely a huge improvement in that regard. Unfortunately some of the actors have changed - Lambert and Leo I noticed right off. Some of the lines stayed the same but had to be re-recorded, and they didn't get the inflection right so the meaning still doesn't come across movie quality. But still... a huge improvement.

I hate new Leo. He doesn't sound at all what he should..I mean there is hardly any emotion in his act. I thought Leo's character was supposed to be this innocent young lad who was eager to prove something to other more experienced witchers. Skilled, but hardly experienced and a bit overconfident of his witcher abilities (who could blame him though..legends are just too good). One could say he was still *soft* compared to other guys. Now there is nothing of his former personality left.

Would there be any way to restore old Leo back?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom