Stardock Plans Fantasty TB Strat Game

magerette

Hedgewitch
This is the first I've heard of this one--others may already have picked up on it, but I thought it was promising. Stardock(GalCiv, etc) is in the midst of developing a fantasy turnbased strategy game for announcement later this year. No title yet. Here's a snip from a Demigod interview w/Brad Wardell at ShackNews:

Shack: So how is work progressing on Stardock's fantasy/strategy game?

Brad Wardell: That's the one most of our developers are on. It's pretty far along, it's actually been in development for a while. We have two people working on Demigod right now, actually three if you count network. But the rest of the development team is on the fantasy strategy game.
Shack: Can you talk about it at all?

Brad Wardell: Sure. We're going to be formally announcing it--the team promises me in November, which means I can't promise that. But it's a turn-based fantasy strategy game. It's essentially--imagine Civilization with magic, in terms of general, broad play style. I mean, it's a lot more than that, because I'm a Civ fanatic--no pun intended, great site--but there's a really good mod for Civilization IV that lets you do magic and stuff. Obviously it's a lot more than just Civ with magic.

It has tactical battles. It has multiplayer. Modding is integrated into the game. I mean users can actually submit--I wish we had gotten this game out sooner, because it's going to seem like a Spore rip-off. I mean you can literally add in your own stuff--it goes into the game universe.

I'm surprised they didn't mention Master of Magic. I would think that would be a good signpost and a wildly popular reference with the core audience.

Since Dhruin has relegated this rightfully to the straight-up strategy genre, here's the latest preview over at Gamespot--I thought we had another thread about this game here in the non-rpg forum, but I can't find it atm--so if this has already been discussed before, forgive me:
Elemental:War of Magic Q & A

It gives a little more overview on the game as well as answers some questions:

It really does draw from a lot of different games. I'm more of a game player than a developer--I develop games so that I can play them (and hope others want to play them too!). I would say that Elemental will be a lot like Master of Magic and Civilization in terms of the strategic elements and a bit like the Total War series for the tactical battles.

In essence, you're building a civilization in a fantasy universe. You're founding that society that you may have played D&D or some other role-playing game in.

Worthplaying's got a few screens up here.

Edit:For Demigod--not Elemental--as dte points out--but they're nice screens so I'm leaving them. ;)

Sample:

DemiGod_087_small.jpg

Last edited:
Those are for Demigod, not Elemental. Busted link, mayhaps?

No, busted brain cells--my bad--I was looking for a thread to resurrect, and saw Stardock on this one--got the games confused. Sorry. This aging backwards thing may not be working out....

Its a curious case..much like Jonathan Winters or that episode of Star Trek.

So what's the deal with this game?

Which one? Both are going to be published by Stardock--The Elemental one is the one I have my eye on--the other is a Chris Taylor Gas Powered Games effort for a team-based online rts/rpg--that I definitely don't have my eye on. As John McCain said to Dave Letterman: "I...I screwed up!" :p

Last edited:
Okay, I was motivated by my egregious error to go out and find some Elemental screenshots--they aren't anywhere near as slick and pretty, but here they are:
Sample:
954860_20081104_screen001.jpg

I like it.

Some new screens and info on Elemental just out over at Worthplaying:

Like all Stardock titles, Elemental: War of Magic will include no on-disk DRM and will be available for re-download and updates through the Impulse digital distribution platform regardless of wherever it is purchased.

Elemental: War of Magic is set in a world filled with magic and ancient lore. As the ruler of your kingdom, you must expand your empire through a combination of magical power, military might, diplomatic skill, technological advancement and bold adventuring. Your worlds will be of your choosing, or players are free to create their own.

The story of Elemental: War of Magic begins with an immersive single player campaign with you being the only person in your kingdom with the ability to channel magic through mysterious shards of magic that are scattered across the world....
A public beta is scheduled for the second quarter of 2009, while Elemental: War of Magic is scheduled for the first quarter of 2010 at $49.95.
The art is a bit stylized, but nice:
Elemental_WarOfMagic_06.jpg

Last edited:
Those shots remind of Heroes of Might and Magic series, but differ enough in positive way. Looks interesting.

Those graphics are a little more "retro" than I expected, but it's going to be the gameplay that makes or breaks the game. I continue to have high hopes.

Price sounds a bit high for a DL-only, but it's hard to tell if it's that or if there'll be a boxed version.

But if it's got the gameplay, should be worth it. Looks like it's got some sort of map editor as well, which is always a plus.

Looks too much "cartoony" for my taste, like a mixture between Silverfall and wow. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom