Gamers in Australia

Interesting. I would assume that one would get similar results from many other countries such as the US!! Thanks for link.

Where about in Melbourne are you Hurls? I'm in Preston.

There's lots of talk these days about gaming becoming mainstream and the stats in that article certainly back that up, but I'm interested our societies overall perception of gaming.

I bought a book recently called 'Reality is broken', which turned out to be a massive wank, but the first couple of chapters discussed the attitude of non-gamers being that gaming is a waste of time. I've had that drummed into me over my 25 year gaming career by various family members, etc, so part of me still feels I'm wasting time sitting in front of a computer.

I don't get out much but it feels to me like gaming is still not considered a legitimate way to spend one's time. But reading a book or watching a movie is OK?

I bought a book recently called 'Reality is broken',

This was recommended on the Games Com by a recruiting rep of Crytek, if I remember correctly.

There were several recruiting booths there, yes, even in the non-business area.

Where about in Melbourne are you Hurls? I'm in Preston.

There's lots of talk these days about gaming becoming mainstream and the stats in that article certainly back that up, but I'm interested our societies overall perception of gaming.

I bought a book recently called 'Reality is broken', which turned out to be a massive wank, but the first couple of chapters discussed the attitude of non-gamers being that gaming is a waste of time. I've had that drummed into me over my 25 year gaming career by various family members, etc, so part of me still feels I'm wasting time sitting in front of a computer.

I don't get out much but it feels to me like gaming is still not considered a legitimate way to spend one's time. But reading a book or watching a movie is OK?

I am in Fitzroy, close!

Yes interesting isn't it, a book or movie is regarded as acceptable but a game isn't! I think the book acceptability is from an old attitude about reading being about betterment. Movies? Don't know.

For me, having spend years in front a computer doing a PhD (finished in 2008) I see gaming as an escape/relaxation. Lucklily my partner is fine with it. She watches old (1940s) movies as a major form of relaxation for here.

Back
Top Bottom