D:OS Achievement Rate Worries

Divinity: Original Sin

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
I'm getting really worried about the rate achievements are showing up on Steam. It's been over a month now. The game is longer than most but these numbers… Barely half the people who have bought the game have even gotten the teleport pyramids. Only 17% appear to have gotten through the first town (Live Undead)! Now I'm sure some folks either skipped the quest for Live Undead or just didn't bother to turn it in for credit but it still looks to me like half the people who buy this game don't even play for five hours and half of the ones that DO play for 5+ hours never make it out of the first city.

The user scores are overwhelmingly positive, though, so I don't think this is one of those "critically acclaimed, popularly hated" games. What's going on here?? Why are people not getting through the game? It's the summer doldrums, it isn't like folks are going to be busy with some other blockbuster game.

Back logs probably account for some of it. I know I have quite a few games I've yet to beat and I just kind of bounce around until one grabs me so that might be at play too.

I haven't bought the game yet due to my backlog. I'm also seemingly immune to this whole "must play things when they first come out" phenomenon. However, I've had similar thoughts on Larian's earlier game, Divine Divinity. If the amount of entries on the 'Watch honour thread is anything to go by, an extreme minor percentage of players here have actually finished the game. ;)

Maybe it is an indirect proof that the average modern gamer is used too much to questmarkers and handholding :(

And percentage of Steam achievements means what? Nothing.
Especially with a game available also on GOG - my "achievements" will never appear on Steam for example although I have the game both on GOG and on Steam. :)
Okay I could replay it on the Steam game just to meake you feel a bit easier… :D

In any case, I've seen such "low" numbers in plenty of games and IMO they mean nothing. In fact achievements system for singleplayer games on all platforms is retarded and encourages grinding whenever possible instead of finishing a game. Grinding achievements should be a part for MMOs only - singleplayer achievements should be discovering a secret and finishing a game, not "hey, you've played this for an hour, here's da trophy!".

Back logs could account for some of it but this is too much. Dark Souls 2 showed up in April and it has a couple of achievements over 90%.

Joxer, wasn't your GOG/Steam pair part of the launch day mess? Is that going to be a common problem? That would explain why the first achievements are getting such a low rate, though not why so few people seem to be getting out of the first town.

Strange gauge…
Best use of achievements there is! ;) It's rather depressing to see how few people finish games, though. South Park: Stick of Truth is sitting at 58.8%, Portal 2 is at 42.6% - both are games that can be done in about 20 hours. Deus Ex: HR is closer to 40 and is at 36%. Borderlands 2 is a bit longer and the rate is a hair under 30%. If you ever wonder why games are getting shorter, just look at those achievements.

There are achievements ???

Joxer, wasn't your GOG/Steam pair part of the launch day mess?
Yes it was. :)
I wanted both copies on GOG, but the second key was locked on Steam and I couldn't change that.
Not a biggie really since I got the third key, also Steam, from backing the watch part, gave it to my sis in law (she adores RPGs too) and although it wasn't on GOG as I've promised, in the end she wasn't unhappy. ;)

How do I see those "Achievements" ?

It's the summer doldrums, it isn't like folks are going to be busy with some other blockbuster game.

Maybe were busy with the outside.:)

Not sure about others but I'm waiting for more patches or any additional content.

Dlc and Enhanced editions have changed the way I play games. I wait quite a while after release now for most games.

Time constraints too. I didn't play the beta much but have been playing as much as I can since release. I just got Live Undead yesterday after a week staycation. Now it's also true that I freed the Witch before going back under the Church… got my ass whooped the first time! (btw recorded playing time 55hrs)

Last edited:
How do I see those "Achievements" ?
Search for the game on Steam. There's a (not terribly obvious) link to the achievements on the right side. Or you could just follow this link for D:OS: http://steamcommunity.com/stats/230230/achievements

For comparison - Tropico 5's and Dark Souls 2

(You can also go to user's profiles if they're public and read what achievements they got but that seems to reveal the text of the "secret" achievements which can reveal some spoilers.)

Cool ! Thank you ! :)

Back
Top Bottom