Help a fussy old sod find the perfect RPG

Jimmay

Watcher
Hey. Long time reader but first time poster.

I love gaming and especially RPG's and have been playing them for many years. Although I admit that recently I seem to like reading about them more than I like actually playing them but I think this is down to too much choice and what seems to be an ever shortening attention span on my part.

Basically I seem to spend more time trying to find an RPG and hopping from one to another and I just can't seem to find one I really like or one I feel I want to invest time into. I've tried just about everything but I'll play for an hour or so and just loose interest and search for something that 'might' be better.

It never used to be this way. Pretty much every game I bought I would complete and loved from start to finish. I used to play a lot of single player RPGs but then got into MMOs like WoW, Age of Conan, LotRO, and many others. But since returning to single player RPGs I find it really hard to stick to any of them for more than a few hours. I came back to single player games as the story and questing is so much better than in MMOs. More varied and interesting. So this is important for me. I also prefer low or high fantasy rather than Sci-fi or modern. Anything swords and sorcery has me interested.

I guess my question is what RPG should I invest time into and try to stick to? I think maybe if I get a good recommendation and know a game is worth persuing with, then I might stay interested and have the patience to play through.

Just a few of the games I've tried recently:

Gothic 2 - Terrible controls. Put me straight off.

Gothic 3 - Buggy for me, even with the latest patches. Framerate dips very badly. Just can't play it.

Arcania(gothic 4) - I played this for longer than any of the other Gothics and enjoyed it for 8/9 hours. For some reason I got bored. Think it was the quest design. They daisy-chain so you can never seem to get a quest line finished. You have to do something for someone else first before you can do the current quest, and then this goes on and on and on.

Risen - I like Risen and have been back to it a few times. Can never seem to get passed the first chapter though. Then I just get bored. Is it worth sticking with?

The Witcher - Too linear. Not enough character customisation.

The Witcher 2 - Again, seemed too linear. Think I prefer an open world. Felt way too restrictive.

Oblivion - Tried this many times and almost finished the main story on the first play through, but just get bored everytime I try again. I like the exploration and the quests but the rest is dull.

Morrowind - I heard this was better in some ways than Oblivion so tried it out. Found it very hard to get into and the gfx and animations are painful.

Divinity 2 DKS - Really liked this for a few hours but started to find it hard work and quit. I might give it another chance though. One thing that really puts me off is the Dragon flight stuff. I'd rather be in human form, on the ground.

I also tried a load of much older RPGs(classics) but found them very hard to get into. Even games I used to play and have fond memories of. Also the graphics and presentation just can't compete with modern games and I find that a sizable barrier now.

I realise all this sounds like I should just give up and I've obviously either grown out of RPGs or I just don't have the patience any more. But I either need someone to tell me that, so I can move on, or for someone to say try this game and stick to it because its awesome! ;)

Any advice welcome.

Risen - I like Risen and have been back to it a few times. Can never seem to get passed the first chapter though. Then I just get bored. Is it worth sticking with?
Oh yes! Risen is a really good game, once you get into it.

Gothic 3 - Buggy for me, even with the latest patches. Framerate dips very badly. Just can't play it.
Have you tried the Fan patch? It fixes many of the issues with the original game. Without it, the game is nigh unplayable, with it it becomes really good.

The Witcher - Too linear. Not enough character customisation.
The witcher is a slow starter, but it will open up after a while, and you do actually have a lot of room for character customization. Don't give up on this one.

Morrowind - I heard this was better in some ways than Oblivion so tried it out. Found it very hard to get into and the gfx and animations are painful.
There are plenty of mods that fixes these issues (and basically any other issue that you might have with the game). Browse some mod database like TES nexus.

Gothic 2 - Terrible controls. Put me straight off.
The controls are not terrible, just very very different from what most people are used to. Once you get the hang of them, they actually work really well, but expect the first hour or so to be painful. Gothic 1 is a lot more forgiving than Gothic 2 (and I think it is the better of the two games, but I seem to be in the minority)

What are you looking for in an RPG? Complex character customization? Then Drakensang (and Drakensang: The river of time) should suit you well. These games plays a bit like Baldur's gate, but have a different ruleset.

Relatively non-linear gameplay? Then give Two worlds (2) a try.

Other games that I think that you should check out:
Dragon age: Origins (not Dragon age 2!), Planescape: Torment, Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines with the latest fan patch (modern fantasy, but this is a must play!), Realms of Arkania (3 in particular).

I came back to single player games as the story and questing is so much better than in MMOs. More varied and interesting. So this is important for me. I also prefer low or high fantasy rather than Sci-fi or modern. Anything swords and sorcery has me interested.

I guess my question is what RPG should I invest time into and try to stick to?

Can you include some of your favorite single player RPGs? It will really help us narrow down a recommendation that's right for you.

If not, the good news is that most of the games you listed are 2nd-rate. They are games people play after they have played the 'must play' titles. (Although there is a rabid Gothic following who would argue otherwise), but to that point I agree with you that a bad/inflexible interface is a huge turnoff. You might also give Morrowind another try if you're up to it, just apply this Mod pack: Morrowind_2011.7z

OK, so I would try the following games in descending order:

Diablo II
Dragon Age: Origins
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Betrayal at Krondor
Divine Divinity
Planescape: Torment
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
King's Bounty: Crossworlds
Might and Magic VII
Wizardry 8
Zangband

I put the Story/Quest heavy games further up the list because that's just about the only clue you left us as to your preferences. Diablo 2 is the exception because if you haven't played it, it's simply the one to try first regardless. If this list was for me, the last 4 games would be in the top 5. I'm much less interested in story and questing than I am in loot, character development, and combat-oriented gameplay.

If none of those games work for you, but you find one you like later on, I'd be curious what it was…maybe post in this thread later and tell us what you liked?

Last edited:
Risen didn't really kick off before Harbor Town for me. There is a lot of adventuring and dialog gameplay, so if you prefer combat its maybe not the best fit.

Thanks for the informative replies.

Probably should have mentioned that I'm not a huge fan of group-based RPGs. I have tried Dragon Age and liked it quite a lot. Especially the story and quests. But I prefer to focus on one character. There was also just a bit too much dialogue in DA.

Baldur's Gate 2 I've tried many times but I really don't see the appeal. The erratic movement of the characters and the combat just make me frustrated.

Diablo II is indeed a great game and I've played it a lot. I love it's simplicity and how addictive it is. Very much looking forward to the 3rd game later this year.

I tried both Drakensang games very briefly and they seemed ok. My first impression was that they seemed really generic in terms of style though. I thought they lacked a bit of soul. I only tried them very quickly though, so I might give them another go. Although being another group-based RPG I'm not sure.

The things I look for in an RPG are:
- A huge open world to explore and find cool and interesting stuff.
- Lots of loot and good character progression. I like the feeling of taking a character from zero to hero.
- Interesting quests and not just go play fetch.
- A half decent story with interesting characters.
- Nice visuals or at least good artwork.
- Good controls, interface and polished presentation.
- Voiced quest dialogue. I read enough books!

Based on the comments/feedback so far I think I've got a few options:

- Play Risen again and make a point of getting past C1!
- Try out Two Worlds 2. Seen and read about it but not tried it. Certainly 'looks' nice.
- Wait it out until Skyrim or Diablo 3 get here.
- Keep looking...

Based on the comments/feedback so far I think I've got a few options:

- Play Risen again and make a point of getting past C1!
- Try out Two Worlds 2. Seen and read about it but not tried it. Certainly 'looks' nice.
- Wait it out until Skyrim or Diablo 3 get here.
- Keep looking…

Risen is by the same folks who did Gothic, so I doubt you will enjoy it. No opinion on Two Worlds 2, except that I need to play it soon. :) Diablo III won't be available for at least 3 months; possibly a year.

I think you'll enjoy at least one of these in the meantime:

Divine Divinity I
King's Bounty: Crossworlds
Titan Quest: Immortal Throne

Last edited:
No offense, but maybe you should try a different genre. :)

Yeah, there are some amazing games out there besides fantasy RPGs.

Deus Ex, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, System Shock 2, and Borderlands come to mind immediately.

Far Cry has aged very well. The Thief games are cool. Then there are the Wasteland-Fallout games. Sid Meier's Pirates! is great fun. Lots out there.

If you want open, world "phat loot" but so so quest design, you can try both Two Worlds (1 & 2, the 2nd is slightly better).

Divine Divinity is a good choice, altough combat system is a lot Diablo-like (I really don't like it too much, but that's just me ofc).

The Witcher… well, personally I love both of'em, and even if they aren't open world, if you don't mind to go further than the first hours you can enjoy them pretty much!

Titan Quest is a Diablo clone, if you like that type of RPG is a lot of fun (especially at hardest difficulty for what I know).

As other users said before me, maybe you should give Gothic 3 another try, with the patches from the community is ok, and they add new equip and quests too^^

And I also recommend, just try Morrowind or Oblivion and look here: http://www.tesnexus.com/
There are plenty of mods that fix some dull aspects of combat, and add some very decent quests (e.g. try the Archeology Guild mod, you won't regret it :)).

No offense, but maybe you should try a different genre. :)
+1

What you dislike is just the RPGishness of the games you tried. :D

Edit: Maybe Fallout:New Vegas would fit? No party (only two followers), exploration, good story, sandbox style exploration is possible...

Yeah, there are some amazing games out there besides fantasy RPGs.

Deus Ex, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, System Shock 2, and Borderlands come to mind immediately.

Did you really just mention Borderlands in the same sentence as Deus Ex, V:TMB, and System Shock 2?

I'm going to pretend I didn't see that…:cool:

Did you really just mention Borderlands in the same sentence as Deus Ex, V:TMB, and System Shock 2?

While this is true, Borderlands is fun in its simplicity, like a Diablo with guns and cars - so it may fit here... :jester:

Now I'm totally ignoring your desire for "no sci-fi", but shadowrun for the SNES (if you can find it). It has an interesting mix of fantasy and cyberpunk, a good story, nice puzzles, a large environment, interesting characters (if a tad shallow) and a setting so good that it has been in print since 1989 (in its pen & paper form). Out of all 16-bit era console CRPGs, this is by far my favourite (and it is not a JRPG, I might add).

And how about Ultima? Ultima 9 is fully voiced and single character. Fans have salvaged the game, and turned it into something quite interesting

I tried both Drakensang games very briefly and they seemed ok. My first impression was that they seemed really generic in terms of style though. I thought they lacked a bit of soul. I only tried them very quickly though, so I might give them another go. Although being another group-based RPG I'm not sure.
As you don't like party-based games, the might not be your cup of tea, but these are games that grows quite a lot as you play them. The setting is quite interesting, and while it still is a standard high fantasy setting, it is not overly generic.

I loooooooved Borderlands, except Claptrap (can't shoot him). Such a great game…but I'm a real loot whore and as you can tell by my avatar I'm also a big fan of post apoc games.

Now I'm totally ignoring your desire for "no sci-fi", but shadowrun for the SEGA Genesis (if you can find it). It has an interesting mix of fantasy and cyberpunk, a good story, nice puzzles, a large environment, interesting characters (if a tad shallow) and a setting so good that it has been in print since 1989 (in its pen & paper form). Out of all 16-bit era console CRPGs, this is by far my favourite (and it is not a JRPG, I might add).

Yeah, Shadowrun (SEGA Genesis version) really is a great game:

Emulator

ROM

Best played on a Gamepad

Last edited:
I loooooooved Borderlands, except Claptrap (can't shoot him). Such a great game…but I'm a real loot whore and as you can tell by my avatar I'm also a big fan of post apoc games.

I love too Borderlands, I had great fun with it! DLCs too are pretty good IMHO, but I don't think that's what he wants ;).

Divinity 2 DKS - Really liked this for a few hours but started to find it hard work and quit. I might give it another chance though. One thing that really puts me off is the Dragon flight stuff. I'd rather be in human form, on the ground.

Skip the main game, go directly to the add-on. It's more compact and has only 1 (looong) dragon fight, which can be negotiated by setting the difficulty to low, flying way ahead of you'll find out what and pausing whenever your primary attack has reloaded.

@Jimmay : Have you tried Two Worlds 1 ?

As a fan I of course recommend Drakensang 2 :D - but it might be too linear for you and not explorable enough ?

Back
Top Bottom