Unofficial Best of RPG and RPG Series of the forum

The top 30 ancient list is good - the only drawback:
I have played them all - most of them more than once.

You mean there are people out there who haven't?? Shame on them!! :)

I'm lost, what is ancients list? Is that from another thread?

I guess it's a list of games favorited by forum members over 100 (i.e., Corwin and Cm) :p.

Out of the top 30 (ancient or not), there are just 7 games I really liked; the rest of the roughly 50 games I really like/d are spread over the whole selection.

Last edited:
Thanks Jaz.

Wouldn't that just be Corwin's list then ;)

I'm with you, not too many of my all time favs there. But I've played just about all of them.

No, Cm is only a couple of years younger than I am, and Magerette must be quite close too!! :biggrin:

I'm lost, what is ancients list? Is that from another thread?
No, same thread but only the votes of those who have a big white beard or at least pretends to have one! More seriously I mean those who are more or less veteran of the forum.

I guess it's a list of games favorited by forum members over 100 (i.e., Corwin and Cm) :p.

Out of the top 30 (ancient or not), there are just 7 games I really liked; the rest of the roughly 50 games I really like/d are spread over the whole selection.

No the selection criteria are tougher, eventually it is better I don't publish them to avoid some cheating attempts, has well, criteria used could certainly be deduced from the result list.

As I wrote, BG2 hasn't always been the top 1. To show it I extracted the successive top 5:

The first top 5, BG2 already took the lead :
Baldur's Gate 2
Gothic 2
Gothic 1
Wizardy 8
Planescape Torment
Second top 5 Gothic series scratch everything, top 1, top 2 and top 5!!! :
Gothic 1
Gothic 2
Planescape Torment
Baldur's Gate 2
Gothic 3
Third top 5, assault of the Fallout series and PST almost reach top 1:
Gothic 1
Planescape Torment
Gothic 2
Baldur's Gate 2
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Fourth top, no changes except that gothic 2 took the lead with a permutation between gothic 1 and gothic 2.
Gothic 2
Planescape Torment
Gothic 1
Baldur's Gate 2
Fallout 2
Fallout 1
Fifth top, Gothic 1 take back the top 1 but also BG2 rise a little.
Gothic 1
Planescape Torment
Baldur's Gate 2
Gothic 2
Fallout 2
Fallout 1
Sixth top, BG2 continue an unstopable rise and take the second place but Gothic 1 still keep the top.
Gothic 1
Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape Torment
Gothic 2
Fallout 2
Fallout 1
Seventh top, no changes
Gothic 1
Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape Torment
Gothic 2
Fallout 2
Fallout 1
Last run, last top, BG2 grop the first place at last minute in last top at the depends of Gothic 1.
Baldur's Gate 2
Gothic 1
Planescape Torment
Gothic 2
Fallout 2
Fallout 1

All of that to show that it's only at the beginning and with the last series of "votes" that BG2 took the top 1. In fact Gothic 1 has been top 1 a longer time. And the list of top 1 is only Gothic 1, Gothic 2 and BG2.

I also can understand why BG2 would win, but it would go much lower (and did) on my list. :)

No, Cm is only a couple of years younger than I am, and Magerette must be quite close too!! :biggrin:

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, as we say here. ;)

Dasale--nice work and a great list. My only question is--what about The Witcher? I wonder where it would factor in if the Top Ten thread was to be started today instead of '06? Some people might even throw in other titles from this year like Eschalon... So just to make this up to date--without looking at my old votes, I've done a:

New Top Ten as of 2008:

1. Planescape:Torment
2. The Witcher
3. Might & Magic 7
4. Icewind Dale 1 + HOW expansion
5. Gothic 1
6. Might & Magic 6
7. Arcanum
8. Baldurs Gate 2 + SoA & ToB
9. Wizardry 8
10. Temple of Elemental Evil

It's a vote update? The original thread is the best place for that. To take in account evolution that could be a range like the last xxx "votes". But well it's not over crowded so not easy to apply. :) For sure I'll do an update with vote updates but it's better to let some time pass because the calc side effect isn't that good.

Myself I haven't finished The Witcher because the ugly performances of chapter 5 disgusted me somehow. Great RPG will certainly be in my top 10 but where, not obvious. It's clear that for me despite some flaws it points better than many what I could prefer in future CRPG. I don't think I feel it better than Gothic 2+NOTR but I agree it worth a quote.

In fact, unlike many CRPG players, I think both NWN2 OC and NWN2 MoTB setup something quite interesting too. Usually CRPG fails to keep an intensity and often intensity management spoil the fun. On this point of view NWN2 OC did something amazing, on this point of view The Witcher has many pauses and many slowdown as all best RPG... but NWN2 OC. For MoTB it brings something close to The Witcher but in a less impressive result but it also show an interesting come back of puzzling.

I didn't mean you had to count it in your official score, Dasale-you've done enough work with what's already there. I just felt like redoing my list. :) I agree that some time needs to pass so enough people have the opportunity to play the games released in 2007--it's rare for me to buy a game right when it's released and I know many many more people will have played TW and MotB in another year, so I definitely agree the official recount doesn't need to start yet. Maybe this time next year we can start all over with a new thread.

I'm not sure what you mean about Chapter 5 in TW, but that would definitely be spoiler territory for those who haven't played so I won't ask you to explain.

I agree about the intensity in NWN2. I normally just put up with cutscenes, but NWN2 OC used them very well, especially at building to the endgame, possibly even better than The Witcher, as I thought there were maybe a few two many garbled messages in those, though that is probably a translation/localization issue. I still need to play MotB, and I'm sure it may creep into my new list...if there aren't too many puzzles ;)... we non- crpg players just don't like those. :p :)

Fantastic thread Dasale! Thank you for taking the time to compile all of this. :D

cannot believe Baldurs Gate 2 is number one :(

I can :D

I can
I can

(The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)

I think it's no big surprise that a game like BG2 is at the top stop - it's not that it is the best, but it is a title a number of people agree to be the best.

BG2 is my favorite party-based RPG. Gothic 1&2 probably share the top spot for my overall favorite RPG, but it's real close between any of my top 5.

@Dasale: Maybe enough time has passed to justify a new calculation?

Back
Top Bottom