arx fatalis 7.95 on steam

I don't care. I didn't like their game and was disappointed by their foolish attempt to copy some great classics, so it's just natural that they would feel insulted by me.

Hindukönig;25105 said:
I don't care. I didn't like their game and was disappointed by their foolish attempt to copy some great classics, so it's just natural that they would feel insulted by me.

They didn't copy anything. Were the UU games based on a civilization that was forced underground due to an ice age?

As I said, they didn't copy UU (which would be good), but failed at the attempt.

I for myself would like to see a true successor of the UU games with gameplay not changed, at least not much.
- UU 1&2 have dialog-options, AF has not.
- UU 1&2 have believable characters and civilizations, AF only got the goblins right, but those are clichés. Every other civilization in AF is badly designed IMHO.
- UU 1&2, mostly 2, have interesting locations, AF is mostly boring, with the exception of the crypt, perhaps. Problem is, you visit the crypt once, perhaps twice, but never again. There is no need to do so. Same with the home of the dwarves, but I didn't like that anyway.
- UU 1&2 have interesting plots and sidestories. AF has a demonworshipping sect, and you're the chosen one. Yawn.
- Etc.

I don't see why it matters who copy what. Arx is an exellent game. Wasn't there talk from the developer that they did look at UU for _inspiration_, but alas, so did DOOM. So. :)

If one starting to look to much at games, bugs, design etc, the thrill of the game disapear. But i guess, I don't look so much to why, how, when, what. But if the game is good or not, and in Hinduköpings case the logic doesn't work, and he seems to be expecting a UU sequel where apparently, this game is not. And i think if one should judge Arx by how its following in its prequels foot prints, than this game plain sucks. Cause... how in earth could a game thats not a sequel try to be better than its predecesser.

Hm, someone is doing a logical time warp! :)

But i AM a strange character. I still rule POR 2 as one of the best RPG (and sequel that had a prequel).

(Oh stop it now mute, this isn't funny anymore. I got a hangover...)

Well, I don't like the game even apart from seeing it as a "spritual UU successor" (dev's own words). The gamedesign is mediocre, at best.

Apparently we're looking at it wanting different things in terms of game design. I think it succeeds well in being a Spirtual UU successor (in the meaning i put in to these words - and thats not including dialog structure or any specific design choice, its just a general feeling i got when playing the game). I think the Gamedesign is exellent and challenging. Altough i loath all game involving jumpig puzzle. They are, cheap and they have no point being in an RPG or Adventure game :) including Arx.

Well, suffice to say. We have different opinions about this game. :)

I loved the game. Yes at times it was difficult and made no sense, but it had *something* which made me play ARX just one hour more. That is how i define a classic! :) My favorite part was the brilliant magic system! How come no dev has copied it? and ooh the puzzles! Those were FUN :)

Only thing I hated, was this horrid labyrint in the crypt level (Did i say I HATE labyrints!). I nearly stopped playing because of it (WHY do devs put labyrints in their games?!) And the last stone puzzle...how on earth should i have known not to sell meteror stones?! Luckily the vendor had them still his stock, so i didn't need to restart :p

Arx was a good game, with a couple of meorable moments (the Crypt!), but like Hindu I think it failed to capture the feeling of UU. The plot and story seemed poor, the levels had a cramped and "designed" feel, they were levels, not really an underground world. The magic system while an innovative idea, turned out to be annoying in actual use.
So from the point of view that it wanted to be the new UU (which are high on my list of all time favourite games) I thought it failed. But it was still quite a fun game, and I'd definitely recommend to play it.

If I understood, the UU aspect of the game they wanted to grab was merely a visual effect that you could achieve by typing in the magic words. For a few moments your graphics would render the scene more to what you would have gotten if Arx had been part of UU. Other then that and an attempt at offering something fresh and new in how the game let you use magic, the connection stopped there. As with all games some will love it, some hate it. For me the magic system was great fun. ;)

I personally loved the game, dispite the bugs and missing area development. Several things IE the Rat Men never got finished which was sad. But this game suffered the same fate as all games we see anymore, publish now and fix what you can later, or don't get published at all.

Can't say I didn't like Arx. I never really compared it to UU, I saw it more as a typical Dungeoncrawler in the spirit of Dungeon Master or Chaos strikes back. I found it however way to short for such a linear game. The double amount of levels would have been more appropriate.

I also picked up Arx Fatalis via Steam last weekend as I failed to buy it when it was out in retail. I like it better than their other recent game, Dark Messiah, which I picked up last week. That said, it's an OK game, not great, and I'm glad that I didn't buy it when it was brand new and likely $50...

Even for a 2002 game the graphics are just so-so and pretty dark.

Combat has been pretty cheesey so far.

The default control scheme that shipped with the Steam version was ENTIRELY unuseable to me, requiring a great deal of reconfiguration. (It was almost as bad as Gothic 1 & 2 control schemes, but at least the French figured out what a mouse was for.)

Apparently, no dialog options at all.

The draw the runes magic system wasn't a brilliant idea, IOW they'd been better off with Dungeon Master's string the series of runes together system.

It's been more fun than DM so far, but I've got a feeling that it's going to be short, and fairly linear. Loot's been pretty heavy I've found more potentially saleable items(mostly weapons) than I've room for, TONs of food items, about 1k(!) gp already and I've just hit Arx(maybe prices will be high as the only thing to buy so far that I've found are mugs of ale at the tavern for 2gp), setting is nice but too constantly dark and drab, etc.

Beyond that I still haven't really figured out sneaking, but I still need to read the manual which I had to get from replacementdocs as the Steam version doesn't appear to come with a manual of ANY sort! Not nearly as environmentally interactive as I had expected so far, considering that from what I'd read elsewhere people kept mentioning that. Well worth $10 though considering other RPG "choices" ATM, but if you don't have Morrowind GotY, Neverwinter Nights Diamond, or Gothic 2 Gold(similar age) I'd go for one of those first as so far it seems like they're just FAR better games than Arx.

[EDIT]
As to a comparison to UU, don't even bother as, again, so far, both UUs were FAR better games as well...
[/EDIT]

Arx is the best RPG I've played in recent years, and a definite contender for my all time favorite. My only discrepancy was with the non-existent storyline, which was out done by the incredible atmosphere. The voice work for the goblins had me laughing every time I approached one of those buggers. The Lord Inut chicken quest and the Earth Clan vs. Water Clan were my favorites. I can only hope that once Arcane is done with The Crossing, they make a proper sequel to Arx using the Source engine.

Back
Top Bottom