Whose Cup of Tea is this really?

I was listening to that interview too in one ear, while smashing pirates in Armored Princess so I may not have heard everything. However, his reluctance to answer simple yes/not questions on whether it was OK to racially discriminate because saying no would conflict with libertarian principles REALLY turned me off. The guy came of as an amoral fanatic.

Oh he was definitely evasive. And I think almost simple-minded about what the true effects of his positions actually would be in the real world. But I felt bad for comparing him to Palin earlier in this post, since he did seem to have some sort of deeply felt personal beliefs. His strange distinction about the 'good' and 'bad' parts of the Civil Rights Act struck me more as niavete and lack of imagination than racism, and I liked the fact that he was apparently completely willing to step into a politically incorrect minefield that could take him down rather than make an easy denial of a previous position—unlike everyone else who is so careful in public to present a teflon image of whatever the questioner wants to hear. Everybody is such a pap-talking, carbon copy clone these days.

Nonetheless, I won't be voting for him any time soon, I'm afraid, and I don't think too many non-Tea partiers will be either.

While I identify with libertarians to some extent, I don't think it should take precedence over everything else. Don't understand why people appreciate taking those beliefs to the extremes, while ignoring all other considerations... IE PJs "fanatic" moniker. Fanatics and lunatics, not very different...

It's a breath of fresh air. Harkens back to Chartman Ross and Jesse the Body, although a little more into the weeds policy-wise. The air might be oxygen deficient with a touch of nitrous oxide, but fresh nonetheless.

Well, apparently he's walking (possibly running)it all back now and blaming the liberal media, so I think the oxygen supply ran out sooner than expected. ;)

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...backs-govt-enforced-ban-on-discrimination.php

So, by our reckoning, here's Paul's progression on the issue over the past 24 hours:

*Paul on Maddow, circa 9 p.m. Wednesday: I don't agree with the Civil Rights Act, but I don't believe in racism.
*Paul statement, noon Thursday: I wouldn't support repealing the law.
*Paul campaign statement, 2 p.m. Thursday: I support the law and the government's power to enforce it.
*Paul on CNN, 5 p.m. Thursday: "I would have voted yes" for the law. "There was a need for federal intervention."
I guess if they aren't clones to begin with, they have to become one.

Not to say I don't mind a little spice in my coffee.
Tea, mate, a little spice in your tea…some people…

Oh, and to answer the question, clearly, it's Bon Jovi's:
20080619bon-jovi-tea.jpg

The Tea Party continues to play a role in things—last Tuesday's primaries brought another face from the radical right to our collective attention, Nevada 'Republican' Sharron Angle. There are a plethora of wacky stories out about her; she may even make Mama Grizzly from Wasilly look lamestream before she's through. Here's a wrap-up from over at Talking Points Memo (<- lefty source warning) of the latest on how the actual repubs who have to run things are doing there best to deal with their obstreperous offspring:
GOP Shields Angle and Paul to Avoid Making Them the Face of 2010
Each time Paul or Angle stray from party talking points by promoting Social Security privatization, abolishing the Department of Education or backtracking on the Civil Rights Act, more moderate Republican candidates have to field questions about whether they agree on those issues. And every day that the Republicans are having to defend themselves against those questions is a day they lose, rather than focusing it on the economy, Obama, and the Democrats' agenda.

Nah, the racist in that race was Bubba the just plain republican. :)

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20006815-503544.html

But nonetheless, it's good to see a diverse ethnic field in any party, especially on the far far right. Somehow, I think the black guy's opponent being Strom Thurmond's youngest son may have helped him a bit. But kudos to all the national TP and rightie figures who endorsed both these candidates ( except Miss Bendy Straws; her endorsements mean nothing except her own self-promotion.)

The GOP-leaning 1st Congressional District stretches down the Carolina coast and includes Fort Sumter, where the first shots of the Civil War were fired. If elected to the House, Scott would be the GOP's first black lawmaker since Oklahoma's J.C. Watts retired in 2003.
They neglect to mention J. C. Watts most likely didn't win because of any sort of racial politics or any party affiliation or platform, but because he beat Nebraska (and more importantly,Texas) and also won two Orange Bowls as QB for OU. ;)

Back
Top Bottom