Looking for work? Try Canada

Thrasher

Wheeee!
Interesting trend.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2011/09/08/jobs_americans_canada

Canada was one of the few to escape the 2008 financial meltdown relatively unscathed, a turn of events largely attributed to Ottawa's long-standing refusal to deregulate the banking sector.

"I'm looking for a quiet, calm, sane, civilized society to start the next phase of my life," said Michael, an out-of-work, white-collar professional from Michigan who is seeking a temporary visa to come to Canada.

Grrrrrrrrr being Canadian I don't really want to say anything but this isn't the place to start this I don't think.
As a person that deals day in and day out in manufacturing(machine shops) yes we as a country still seem very busy. That being said I realy don't want to see the US's way of doing business in this country at all. Enough said for this forum....

Canada is a wonderful country; I grew up there and went to university there (UofT) and all my family still lives there, but I had to leave and come to Oz to get decent work. Best thing I ever did!!

Combined with our crisis here(Greece), Canada is advertized as number 2 destination for financial immigrants. Number 1 remains Australia but everyone knows how hard is to get a visa.

Cool.. we've been looking for an excuse to annex Canada.

images

Considering that The Bank of Nova Scotia is predicting that Canada is going to fall into recession next trimester, I don't think people should move here to find work.

We already lost a lot of job last month too.

I wish to go there, since there's a shop I buy videogames(videogamesplus.ca), but I can't now for the time being. We're waiting what will happen here in Greece.

Everyone says that if Greece bankrupts, then all the countries will fall as well.

While I loved working in Canada (Calgary specifically), I felt I got screwed by 2 countries instead of just one due to how taxes work as a US Citizen.

US has a great policy that taxes its citizens regardless of where the income is earned. Yeah you can either deduct Canadian taxes from US taxes or the big foreign earned income exclusion but you soon start finding that quite a bit of income is still being sent to the US for basically no services rendered. US is one of the few countries that do this to its citizens that work in foreign countries.

I exercised some stock options while in Canada and that turned out to be a very good deal to everyone but me apparently though I did come out positive I think. If I would have known I was going to move back to the US I would have held those longer.

Back
Top Bottom