Game of Thrones

I have been following this so long...hehe I'm even rereading the game of thrones now. So yes, I am very excited.

This is one of the few fantasy series I've read and still plan on reading. I got into it in 1999 and its been so long in coming its been painful but still very excited and am considering subscribing to HBO for the tv series. Thanks for the heads up on the debut, I wasn't expecting it until fall. Guessing that GRRM was pretty much forced to release something when the series came out. His blog sounded a little like he still wasn't done but the publishing date is in stone at this point.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it, though I've been meaning to read the first book of the series before hand, but finding time to do so has been trying.

Well, I absolutely loved the first book of the series, I liked the second one, I enjoyed the third one… book four was ok…

BTW there is finally I release date for book 5… on GRRM website….. hope he could get back to the quality of the first book… I doubt it though… I think the necromancy was a big mistake…..

As for the TV-series... well I don't know... so far there has never been a quality tv-series from a fantasy books series... but here is hoping it would be a success...

I really hope for something good. Don't know much details but i keep low expectations.
The only thing i demand is blood. When there is sword fighting there is also blood. And walking dead proved that it can happen.

He was pretty much done the book a few months back, except for a few chapters...at least thats what I have read. I think this series has a chance, people are tired of brainless TV....

I just finished sons of anarchy and need a new show:)

Like the Wheel of Time, I've sort of lost interest in this series unfortunately :( Martin has postponed the next book for so long that he must have had one helluva case of writer's block.

A series I truly need to get back to reading, however, and that I wish they'd produce for television is Steven Erikson's Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. The final 10th(!!) book is due out soon.

Must admit that the trailer looks decent. Alas, no HBO.

I'm not sure about the tale of malazan...I have tried twice now to get into it, at least the first book was pretty dense in characters and writing style. His forward even mentions some people enjoy it a lot and some have a lot of difficulty with it. I really wanted to like it, maybe third time is the charm sometime soon. He does have some horrible character names too.

The winter is coming is integral to the novels.

So, anybody seen it yet? I think overall the reviews are positive, with the exception of reviewers who just don't like fantasy or spurting blood or incest/adultry/sex/dwarfs in their TV shows. Can't wait to see it!

I thought it was extremely good, but I've never read the books. Everything was well done and quite a bit happened in a short amount of time. Not exactly action packed but I didn't expect (or want) it to be. It definitely did a great job of setting up and showing you the heart of each of the major characters.

Damned dirty HBO and their free weekend to let me watch it and get hooked...now I have to get HBO.

I'm a big fan of the books, and I watched the premiere of the show last night.

It was really well done, and successful overall. They managed to get a huge amount of the story into one hour without it feeling rushed and without cutting out too much. In fact, I had to really think about what was missing to even realize that anything was in fact missing. No Theon Greyjoy (though there was one scene where maybe he was in? where the young men were getting haircuts for the reception? I couldn't tell who the other person was) and no Tommen.

My wife who has never read the books and is not really into fantasy stuff really enjoyed it as well. Again, considering how much stuff was packed into the first episode, I think they did a remarkable job of showing the story without a lot of exposition or explanations.

In my experience watching series TV, often the first or first few episodes are not as engaging, as so much setup is required. Makes me hopeful for the rest of the series.

I'm a big fan of the books, and I watched the premiere of the show last night.

It was really well done, and successful overall. They managed to get a huge amount of the story into one hour without it feeling rushed and without cutting out too much. In fact, I had to really think about what was missing to even realize that anything was in fact missing. No Theon Greyjoy (though there was one scene where maybe he was in? where the young men were getting haircuts for the reception? I couldn't tell who the other person was) and no Tommen.

My wife who has never read the books and is not really into fantasy stuff really enjoyed it as well. Again, considering how much stuff was packed into the first episode, I think they did a remarkable job of showing the story without a lot of exposition or explanations.

In my experience watching series TV, often the first or first few episodes are not as engaging, as so much setup is required. Makes me hopeful for the rest of the series.

Theon was there...he was going to kill the direwolves. I didn't see rickon. The dwarf was almost perfect, not ugly enough but good.

Theon was there? Really? I believe you, but I don't remember him being mentioned at all. Now that you bring it up, I do remember someone about to kill the wolves. Maybe they kept him in the background on purpose, as there was so much else going on?

You're right about Rickon as well. I completely forgot about him. I haven't read the books in a couple years and am not a rabid fanboy, obviously… just a normal fan.

Yes, the Tyrion actor (Dinkelage) is good. I've seen him in other movies as well (check out The Station Agent... he's the star, a very good film). I agree he's not ugly enough, but it would be probably near-impossible to find an ugly little person who is also a good actor.

I will say that the actor playing Rob seems very bland, and apparently the actor playing Theon is so bland I didn't even notice him!

I think the Dothraki should have been portrayed as Asian like the Mongols, but casting a gigantic number of Asian actors and extras in Ireland probably would have been near-impossible as well.

I was happy there was nudity (surprised actually... I don't usually watch HBO) and the gore and blood is there but not over the top -- so far at least.

Back
Top Bottom