General News - The 8 Greatest RPG Franchises

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Just in case you are wondering what the 8 greatest RPG franchises are of all time, check out this article at the Escapist that was spotted by Eye. They list Mass Effect, Fallout, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Pokemon, Baldur's Gate, Final Fantasy, Ultima and The Elder Scrolls.

Errr... Really? Pokemon?!? That is a greater RPG fanchise than The Witcher, Divinity, Gothic, Might & Magic or Wizardry, to name a few they could have chosen?

More information.

I'd rather see Might & Magic and Wizardry on that list than Pokemon and Mass Effect. To be honest, Mass Effect is just a continuation/evolution of the KotoR franchise minus the license.

But to each his own. These lists are always created with the intent to create controversy, and hence page views, and they're usually colored significantly by the age and game history of the compiler (just as mine would be).

Another confusing aspect, what do they mean by "Greatest"? As far as I can tell from the wording it means "had an impact on the genre and resonates still today" - to which they then exclude Diablo. And since they are not concerned about any purist ideology about 'what is an RPG' its absence is even more glaring. Diablo even created it's own entire genre, the Diablo-like for heaven's sake…

Their article even makes people who don't like Diablo stand up for Diablo! It's that shoddy!

Edit: Not even mentioning World Of Warcraft either. Man, they must hate Blizzard with a passion…

Last edited:
The Escapist used to be readable but this type of clickbait is typical of what they put out now.

Back
Top Bottom