WarWizard download link

xcopy! Fascinating. I had that in my original DOS 6.22 installation back then. It was not a standard command, was it? IIRC you could copy whole directories with it in one go, including sub-directories, unlike the simple copy command.

XCOPY wasn't an internal command.

There ware so-called "internal commands", which were actually kind of like functions embedded within COMMAND.COM

COMMAND.COM, which later was actually an .EXE , because it was too big for a .COM (.COM programs have per definition an exact size limit), was the command interpreter.

Some commands would be recognized as ... well, commands. ;D and would then be executed from within COMMAND.COM

There were other "commands" which actuall weren't commands, but real, small programs. XCOPY was one of them, later came XCOPY32, I think from Win95 systems on.

I'm not sure, but I think on the Winxp CDS there should still be a folder or so called "OLDDOS" or so. On my Win98SE it was there. I just copied everything into the Windows\Command folder, I think. Be careful not to overwrite everything.

For Winxp, I built a folder under C:\ and added that into the PATH environment variable.

Could also be that this small packge is downloadable from Microsoft. I don't remember.

Be careful, by the way, in old DOS, internal commands were preferred to "external commands". That is, when there was a programm having the same name as an internal COMMANd.COM command, then the internal thing would ALWAYS be executed ! Never the external !

XCOPY could do quite a lot of stuff, in contrast to the limited internal COPY command. In its later incarnations, it could copy whole folders, even empty ones ( ! ) and - unlike copy - put everything into RAM before copying. COPY would only put small portions into the RAM, which was VERY annoying when one had to copy discettes. Read - copy - read - copy - read - copy .... Whereas XCOPY did read - read - read - read - read - copy - copy - copy - copy ... That way, hope this is understandable.

XCOPY was a whole lotta breakthrough compared to COPY, so to say. ;)

XCOPY32 was even a bit better, as far as I can remember.

Hi, I'd like to know if I'm doing something wrong.

I tried downloading from file dropper link and it redirects me to the main page. Browsing the "allfiles" section, in the letter W, I couldn't find a warwizard file… I can't help but think the file is missing on that page. Am I doing something wrong, or are there other mirrors? The rapidshare ones only lead me to 'File Not Found' pages…

Seems those free file hosting services are time limited or something. I'll upload it again.

In the meantime, never having played the game (shame on me) I'm lazy and need some questions answered. ;)

1. How is combat like? a. Pausable realtime, b. realtime or c. turn-based?
2. What's the play time? a. 10-20 hours, b. 20-40, c. 40-60, d. over 60, e. unlimited or f. less than 10 hours?
3. Point of View? a. first person, b. third person, c. floating camera, d. isometric
4. Voice acting? a. full, b. none, c. partially voiced

Anyone got a description and / or a logo of the game we could use on our game info page?

Seems those free file hosting services are time limited or something. I'll upload it again.

In the meantime, never having played the game (shame on me) I'm lazy and need some questions answered. ;)

1. How is combat like? a. Pausable realtime, b. realtime or c. turn-based? C-Turn based
2. What's the play time? a. 10-20 hours, b. 20-40, c. 40-60, d. over 60, e. unlimited or f. less than 10 hours? C:40-60ish
3. Point of View? a. first person, b. third person, c. floating camera, d. isometric
D-it's a top-down game
4. Voice acting? a. full, b. none, c. partially voiced-B, the game is from 1994. There wasn't any voice acting in games back then :)

Anyone got a description and / or a logo of the game we could use on our game info page?

War Wizard is an Ultima III-IV like RPG that was originally meant to be a commercial release. However, due to financial constrants, the developers were not able to release it as such, and released it as Shareware. This quote was taken from Ken Lemon at Lemon Amiga which also has a few screenshots.

http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=...ames/list.php?list_letter=W&list_hardware=ECS

Arhu, I've since upgraded my home pc and I don't currently have any Dosbox or DFend installed. I can't really test the game at this time. I'm not sure if Dosbox works well with Windows 7, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Ah, thanks, 'nut. Since you have played the game I was hoping you could answer the questions individually, it's for our info page about the game here on RPGWatch. From your info and link I'm guessing it's isometric or top-down only and was also available for Amiga ... what about 1, 2 and 4?

I think I uploaded your original package (uninstalled state) so your instructions should still hold true.

1. How is combat like? a. Pausable realtime, b. realtime or c. turn-based?
2. What's the play time? a. 10-20 hours, b. 20-40, c. 40-60, d. over 60, e. unlimited or f. less than 10 hours?
4. Voice acting? a. full, b. none, c. partially voiced

Hi, thanks for the link even though I got the game with Abandonia.com first :p I intend to review the game for Abandonia, so I began my playthrough yesterday and am partly able to answer these questions. Right now I'm out of time but I might upload some screenies to illustrate what I mean.

First and foremost, the link over at lemonamiga. Plenty of (blurred) screenshots and some info there. But the answers:

1 - Turn-based, with the option of attacking with the right or left hand, also you have the option of aiming at a certain part of the person's body.
2 - Can't answer yet, as I'm still playing. It's very open and free-roaming so I believe that the playtime will be big. I had a riot with it back when I played the shareware version, but then again I don't know how quick will the story catch up with me, so yeah, this one is blank for me right now.
3 - Top-down, but not isometric. Characters seem to be icons, or cards: they're not very animated. Think of how units were animated in Civilization 1.
4 - Partially voiced. Though it's mostly just interjections like "Hail!", "Join me!". Muffled grunts of pain when hit… though they're all male, even when hitting female characters. Speaking of, character sprites (not sprites really) are fixed, so a wizard is always an old man, even if the wizard is female, and the priest is always a girl even if the priest is a man.

Sweet! Thanks for the info!

crpgnut had also opened a WarWizard gameplay discussion thread in case you guys want to play simultaneously. He's got a head start though.. or maybe he's through with it already? Either way, make sure you send us word of your review when it's finished so we can put the news on our front page. :)

Rapidshare has a limit of 10 downloads? Here's another link, then: http://www.filedropper.com/warwizard

You can set up a free "collector's account" on RS and transfer files there, they will be available indefinitely.

I remember playing that game for a few minutes some 12-13 years ago. So a humble shareware developer, one of the many who used to put their Ultima 3 clones of dubious quality on Compuserve for download, skyrocketed into a top MMO designer just 5 years later? That's one hell of a career.

Anyway, are there any differences between DOS and Amiga versions? I figure it's not old enough for an Amiga version to have better gfx (like they used to in late 80s), but in case I decide to give it another spin, I'd rather make sure which one is better :)

Hi, I just wondered if the issue of

"ERR : Cannot open init dungeon wplayer/savegam1/cara_v/cara_v.dgn in ngw()"

...was ever solved? I'm running through D-Fend Reloaded and changing nothing as per instructions, but can't get past the main menu without it crashing. I also get this error message when I try and "load" a game:

"ERR : Cannot open file wplayer\savegam1\warwiz.sav in load_game()"

Uh, maybe this will help, in case you're still trying:

From the WarWizard on Abandonia page:
Before typing any commands in DOSBox, type "VER SET 7 10". Otherwise you won't be able to save your progress or start a new game. After that run the game using WW1.BAT.

Also, there's a thread on abandonia for the game with some gameplay warnings:
Scatty said:
One thing to keep in mind - if you save a game in one of the slots and then save later in the same slot, it doesn't update all files in that savegame folder but only one or few which produces few minor bugs. Those are for example, if you save a game before buying an expensive item in a shop then load it again if you don't want the item, you'll end up still having bought that item and spent your gold for it already and there's no way to undo that.
Some other things also can happen with that system like saving before attacking some stationary creature on the nearby field just to see what he drops after the battle, then loading the game only to discover it still being killed and gone forever.

This can be circumvented by keeping two savegame slots occupied and saving the game before such critical moments not in the same slot but the other one. In that case the game overwrites all files in that other save folder and the above mentioned bug doesn't occur, i. e. you bought an item and after loading the game you didn't just as it should be.
Since the game was so little known there's unfortunately no patch for this bug and few other minor ones.

One other thing to keep in mind which is critical to the game progress - when you free the wizard Genethar who has one Portal spell memorized, under NO circumstances cast it just for fun as he does not have it in his book and can't ever again memorize it, which would leave you stuck in the game without being able to progress at a certain point (unless you cheat / hex-edit).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom