JoWooD & Piranha Bytes are Friends Again

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
That´s just in:
JoWooD and Piranha Bytes accommodate all differences
Liezen, Austria / Essen, Germany, March 12th 2008; Austrian publisher JoWooD Productions Software AG (ATXPrime: JWD) and German development studio Piranha Bytes (Pluto 13 Ltd.) are pleased to announce the accommodation of all differences and disagreements of the past months. Both companies continue to work on their respective projects without excluding further cooperation in potential future projects.

Currently, JoWooD Productions is working together with Spellbound Entertainment Inc. on the fourth part of the Gothic-series; Piranha Bytes puts its efforts into a new Role-Playing Game with the working title “RPB”. The JoWooD-branded Gothic products available in stores will remain within the worldwide distribution network of JoWooD Productions Software AG in the future.

“We are happy that we put aside our differences with the company Pluto 13. After a long and successful period of cooperation, it was of great concern to find the best possible solution for both parties! We are proud to continue with the marketing of products of the Gothic-series and will fulfil the high-quality expectations of its loyal fans”, explains Dr. Albert Seidl, CEO JoWooD Productions.

“Our differences in the past are history. By putting them aside, Piranha Bytes as well as JoWooD get back to accomplish constructive-minded work full of vim and vigor. For the development studio Piranha Bytes that implies: the development of entertaining and high-class Role-Playing Games”, as Mr. Michael Rüve, managing director Pluto 13, points out.
More information.

I don't really get the point of the PR. Presumably JoWood maintains control of certain Gothic IPs (G4) and PB are now signed to Deep Silver. Is this meant to make hardcore Gothic fans react more favourably to Spellbound's G4?

It means legal safety for both parties. And it calms down the fans. Both good for both parties´ business.
When I read the PR I found that filler part funny, where they explained JoWooD still has the global rights they paid for.

*shakes head*

Reads as if all of the fuzz of the last months is suddenly nihil.

Weird.

It means legal safety for both parties. And it calms down the fans. Both good for both parties´ business.
When I read the PR I found that filler part funny, where they explained JoWooD still has the global rights they paid for.

That must have been insisted upon by Jowood - they wanted clarity that this didn't mean that 'PB was getting back in the Gothic game'.

I guess it's a political thing, and I certainly don't see how this will benefit the fans.

The only faint hope would be if PB would assist JoWood/SB and the community with fixing Gothic 3, which I consider highly unlikely, but one should never say never.

That must have been insisted upon by Jowood - they wanted clarity that this didn't mean that 'PB was getting back in the Gothic game'.
Yes, but they´re only talking about old games and Gothic 4. There is no mentioning of future projects. Which is a hint that JoWooD doesn´t have the rights, I think.

I just hope PB still has the creativity to make something completely new and fantastic (like how the original Gothic blew me away).

I guess it means none is going to sue the other, so for gamers its good news.

"Oh, no, we just didn't strangle each other, not at all ! Where did you get this silly idea from ?"

Who cares... JoWood has proved again and again that they are completely incompetent as publisher and PB showed with Gothic3 that they are just as bad developers. Best not to get close to either Gothic 4 or RPB.

...another poor soul with the background of "raised in the pits"

Back
Top Bottom