Let's Talk Mass Effect Trilogy, 1st through 3rd

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor
I recently started up a save in Mass Effect 3 to check out the extended endings. They didn't really change a whole lot but provided more information and gave you another ending option to select. Since I liked the ending as it was, I was okay with what they did, but that's not what this topic is about. This is about discussing the games. Discussing what you liked or disliked about each game, what you thought they improved in the series and what changes were for the worse, and how the story changed or evolved with each iteration (and whether those changes were good).

Mass Effect - the original is still my favorite in the trilogy. It definitely had some rough edges. Controls were kind of odd, though no problem once you became accustomed to them. The Mako was awful. However, I thought the story was more exciting in the original than any of the other games, and you choices seemed to have the most impact. The first game seemed to be mostly about the struggle between humanity and the other races. While the reapers were still a largely unknown entity, the game seemed to insinuate that humanity was unique from all other races in the universe — and that uniqueness could be the key to humanity's salvation.

Mass Effect 2 — probably the best reviewed and most well-liked in the series, but is my least favorite. It felt more linear and less open-ended than the original. Controls were improved, though it was frustrating that they were changed after I had become used to the original's. The introduction of ammo clips felt odd and a lot of the character building options of the original were pared down. It was clear that Bioware had some goal of making the game appeal more to the action-shooter crowd, and the game was vastly improved in that area. However, battles felt claustrophobic and just about every time I entered a corridor littered with random random boxes that felt out of place but provided cover, I knew I was in for some shooting. While I was fine with the darker theme, the setting and story also felt very inconsistent with the first game. I hardly remembered anything about Cerberus in the first game and they were center-stage in the second. How they went about starting the game also seemed a bit unneccessary. I couldn't help but shake the notion that they were abandoning the idea of humanity's ascent as a key component to the universe's survival (confirmed in the third when your goal is to unite the races to fight together). Renegade/paragon choices felt less like grays and more good/evil (also rubbed me the wrong way how pro-cerberus options were often linked to renegade selections — renegade should be going about things your own way). However, NPC's and companion interaction was very well done, major hubs were vastly improved, and the game's suicide mission felt as if it was looming throughout the game and ended the experience on a very positive note.

Mass Effect 3 — let's ignore the controversy surrounding the ending for a while, shall we? I thought Mass Effect 3 was the second best of the series. The only reason I didn't like it as well as the first was because the first showed promise of a storyline which I found more appealing, and I think was ultimately dumped in favor of a different direction. However, the third game is the most polished of the three and took a lot of the great elements of the first, combined them with what worked in the second (namely shooting elements), and then improved it in other ways. The shooting felt much less confined in the third game, which was a breath of fresh air after the second. Your decisions in the first two games have a pretty strong impact on how the second game plays out (again, ignoring the ending). On the flip side, there seem to be less choices available, providing more paragon/renegade only type of options without giving you a variety of other more neutral options (the first game did this the best). Sometimes it was more difficult to identify with Shepard than in previous games as you would select one option which would lead to a lengthy cutscene where several of his actions/lines were dictated from the one line you selected, whereas in previous games, it felt you had more control. That being said, I quite enjoyed the cinematic experience and found the third game to be a fitting end to the trilogy. As for the ending, I stand by what I have stated before — that it was thoughtful and not entirely inconsistent with a somewhat unknown and spiritual connection to the Reapers history. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

I hope Bioware continues to make games related to the Mass Effect universe and my character's journey. I also hope other studios can follow suit and make franchises with branching sequels, hopefully improving on what Bioware has started. Anyone have any suggestions for cinematic games in the vein of Mass Effect?

Last edited:
I have a sleeping baby in my left arm, so I'll keep this short.

ME1 - I agree with your opinions. Definitely rough around the edges. I really liked the open, lonely, weirdness of space. The exploration of planets conveyed that well. There was a lot of potential for future games.

ME2 - the beginning was stupid. There was no reason to kill Shepard two minutes into the game. They wrote themselves into a corner in the first paragraph. There could have been plenty of better ways for Shepard to work with Cerberus. Gameplay itself was great. Companion missions were great but doing them detrected from the imminent threat of the collectors. Ending was fun, even with the terminator reaper silliness.

ME3 - I liked that most missions had ties to the war at large (like the Turian or Asari home world missions). That helped to relieve the ridiculousness of running around all over the galaxy while reapers were destroying Earth. Overall, I enjoyed it -- including the end. The polished cinematic experience was great.

Alright, let's give it a go.

Mass Effect 1
I agree with you that ME1 is the best game in the series. Yes, it has flaws, like the Mako bouncing around like a rubber ball. However, the story, characters and overall sense of exploration was done so well that I was honestly thinking Mass Effect, which had already been announced as a trilogy, could potentially go down as one of the best sci-fis since Star Wars.

I've completed ME1 20+ times by now, and I still feel the only thing the game ever lacked was polish and some minor adjustments.

Mass Effect 2
All they really had to do with ME2 was add some new, interesting characters, expand upon the existing lore and improve the exploration of worlds. Instead, they removed the exploration completely, completely changed the gameplay to a hide-behind-cover-shooter game, and botched the main story badly by adding a lot of stuff that makes no sense and makes no progress whatsoever related to the Reapers.

That being said, it's still a good game, mainly because of all the "in between stuff" - companions and their quests are great, as are some of the DLC quests (Lair of the Shadow Broker for example).

Wrex may no longer be a companion, but the rest of the team trumps the ME1 team by a wide margin, especially Mordin Solus and Legion.

All in all, ME2 leaves me with a "what could have been" feeling. If they'd replaced the Mako with the DLC vehicle Hammerhead, created a few less auto-generated worlds and a few more hand crafted worlds than ME1 had, and added companions and quests like those Mordin and Legion represent, ME2 would easily have made my top 10 list.

Mass Effect 3
Where to begin? ME3 has highs and lows that are far more extreme than most games:
- The gameplay has been changed yet again, though this time it actually works out quite well. I like it a lot. It's fun.
- The companions are more boring than ever. Conversations are usually monologues, and not even particularly interesting ones at that.
- Some of the main quests are brilliant, such as the Geth vs Quarians and the Genophage. Quite possibly some of the best quests I've seen in any game so far.
- Side quests on the other hand have been reduced to.. well, it's not even FedEx. I don't know what the term is. You pick up stuff if you happen to find it in a given location, but if you don't it magically appears at a vendor so you can buy it there and still hand in the quest. The "story" behind the quests usually makes no sense at all, so you never really get a sense of doing quests - it's more like selling loot to a vendor.
- The story is overall rather interesting, until..
- The ending is the worst ending since DA2, which probably has the worst ending ever in a major RPG. That being said, it's insulting to ME3 to be compared to DA2, as everything else in the game is far better.

All in all, ME3 suffers from schizophrenia. It's simply fantastic at times, being better than any of its predecessors, reaching heights that very few games ever reach, before plummeting down like a comet to lows that would surprise even Flo Rida:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDAaevTq51I

In my opinion, the heights outweigh the lows though, so the overall ME order for me is: ME1 > ME3 > ME2

ME

I really, really like Mass Effect as a "combined" experience. I don't think the gameplay is particularly good - but it works ok, and it does have some interesting mechanics related to weapon/armor upgrades. The real force in the game is the atmosphere and cinematic presentation. It's - by far - the best of the three games in this way, because it has a truly majestic feel to it. There's just something about their choice of music and intriguing introduction that makes it work fantastically as a "movie" game.

I do consider it a major step back in most ways to Knights of the Old Republic - which I think is the natural comparison. That said, there's no way KotOR can compete as cinematic experience.

I know a lot of people think they're two completely different games - but I think if you look at the gameplay paradigm/structure - it's hard to deny how Mass Effect is Bioware's version of the next iteration of the same formula.

8.5/10

——

ME2

Mass Effect 2 is what I consider an OK experience. It's incredibly streamlined - to the point of being very dull when it comes to gameplay mechanics. Everything is so limited and narrow - and they completely removed the weapon/mod system from Mass Effect. They also simplified the character system, though I do concede the new system is functionally superior - it just lacks depth and makes all choices equally viable. This is a design concept that I happen to hate, because when all choices are viable - they really only matter in terms of playstyle. Since I'm the kind of person who is always completely aware of my own playstyle - I will never - ever - want to change anything or replay for this reason.

This is also where the writing taking a serious turn for the worse, but that's very subjective. I can't stand Bioware's version of "serious/dark" sci-fi and I consider the evolution from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2 nauseating. Mass Effect has a true mystery and provokes fascination. Mass Effect 2 is like a modern TV show with one extreme character profile after the other. Every character is desperate for attention and they're desperate to fit into the Bioware blueprint of a "troubled" history with obvious routes of redemption. Not for me.

But, I must say that the combined experience manages to work all the same. Because the atmosphere is still strong - and the visual impression of the various locations remains powerful. It's also very, very polished and pleasant to play with. The plot in itself is intriguing (which is different from the actual writing and the characters) - and it keeps you engaged from start to finish.

However, I must say that the telegraphing of encounters got REALLY tiring REALLY fast. You get to the point where you can predict exactly what will happen, and when it will happen. Well, not exactly - but it's so close as to really hold very few gameplay surprise.

7/10

——

ME3

Well, this is clearly the weakest one - from my point of view. It follows the ME2 streamlined formula and mixes in rushed content. For some reason, I find that it looks significantly worse than ME/ME2 - and I'm not sure why. It's the same engine - so I can only assume they rushed this quite a bit. The added weapon/mod mechanics DO help the gameplay - but it can't change how hollow the whole has become. There's just no soul left in the franchise - and I found it immediately apparent that this game is as by-the-numbers as SWtOR. I can't imagine much passion on the team for this one.

That said, I didn't finish it. I think I've played a combined 15-20 hours - and I just couldn't stand the constant recycling of the exact same talk/fight setup at the end. I will never finish it. It's just not worth my time.

5/10

They definitely did something to character models in ME3 that actually ended up looking worse. I noticed it right from the start. It is especially visible in conversations. The rest looks fine in my opinion.

Here is my take

ME 1
Like others I consider it to be best part of series.Writing is very good.I consider Wrex to best written character in series.Also most of best moments in series are in ME 1.From gameplay stand point game isn't bad but it didn't blow my mind either.

ME 2
Took me a while to get over shock that game turned from RPG to shooter.From story and characters stand point not as good as ME 1 but steel good.I think that side characters steal the show in ME 2(illusive man,Aria).I find gameplay to be good and since there is not many good Gears of war like shooters on PC it was interesting until the end.

ME 3

Total disappointment.Worst written part of series.I hoped that my imported saves would actually mean anything but no matter what you do in game you get same 3 color ending.One of things that bothered me lot is turning of illusive man from interesting shady character in ME 2 to comic book supervillain in ME 3 and ofc ending.Overall too much pathetic in story.Gameplay on the other hand is good,action is good and exciting,AI is far better, from that standpoint it's actually one of better 3rd person shooters on PC.

ME1

+ Wow. Great story. Tons of lore. Nice art style and sound. Freedom to explore (loved Mako). Promise of major choice and consequence. Council vs Alliance, Rachni, Udina vs Anderson, Cerberus etc etc. Story had you thinking and guessing. Series has potential to be a classic at this point.
- clunky shooting, repetitive dungeons, silly enemy AI.

9/10
———

ME2

- Relax, turn your brain off and shoot! Forget inventory. Never get lost in a streamlined citadel, proceed down corridor as we intended you to, no backtracking. Planet scanning. Debatable Paragon/Renegade points. Loose quests with big potential from ME1 cut off with short empty emails. Story - don't analyze, just shoot. Retarded final boss. Series potential as a classic now in doubt.
+ Characters, ease of play (eg auto-return to hub after mission)

7/10
——-

ME3

+ ooh! arenas as well as corridors to fight in. Adrenaline rushing for some hard encounters (3 banshees!). Some customization is back.
- endless unskippable cinematics. Poor controls (omnikey). Silly sidequest pickup method. Unsatisfying EMS mechanic. Meaningless consequences for choices besides a number going up that reflects a strength anyway useless against Reapers. Story lacks narrative cohesion, contradicts own lore especially over trilogy, makes no logical sense, deus ex machina ending for no reason. Removed any desire to replay trilogy for different content/end.

5/10

I actually enjoyed ME1 the least and ME3 the most.

ME1:
+ Character customisation
+ Freedom to explore
+ More interesting hubs
- Map recycling (the most flagrant example I'd seen until Dragon Age 2)
- Horrible list-based inventory system that bogs down gameplay
- Overheating gun bug that hadnt been squashed when I got the game (three years after release IIRC)

ME2
+ I preferred the changed gameplay, but then I am quite bad at shooters
+ No inventory would normally be a minus, but it was an improvement over ME1
+ Much better variety in side quests.
+ Considerably shorter, but I dont feel that this was any signifant loss as the main loss was one of generated side quests in recycled areas.
- Planet scanning. Seriously. Back when I did research this was the kind of dull shit that we would let the freshest intern handle.
- Railroaded linear maps. Cover warns you of impending encounters
- Silly story. I never felt much tension while preparing for the "suicide mission".

ME3
+ Improved character and equipment customisation compared to ME2
+ The planet scanning is gone
- Certain sidequests that werent quests in any sense of the world.
- The endgame stinks, and not just the writing, but also the gameplay after returning to earth...

I havent bother with commenting on the cinematics or on flaws that appear in all the titles. ME1 is together with DA2 the only Bioware title that I havent replayed, and that is due to the padding with generated content and the horrid inventory system.

ME1 sidequests were 100% optional - and none of the main quests used that kind of padding.

- Overheating gun bug that hadnt been squashed when I got the game (three years after release IIRC)

Hmm, what bug would that be? I've completed ME1 20+ times and never noticed a heating gun bug. If you're referring to guns overheating in two shots it's not a bug, it's simply that you're facing an engineer type enemy that can overload weapons. It's an annoying skill to face, but very useful if you have it yourself (tech classes get it).

IIRC, there was a bug that caused permanent overheating. I do remember people saying it was part of the copy protection - but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Hmm, what bug would that be? I've completed ME1 20+ times and never noticed a heating gun bug. If you're referring to guns overheating in two shots it's not a bug, it's simply that you're facing an engineer type enemy that can overload weapons. It's an annoying skill to face, but very useful if you have it yourself (tech classes get it).

I had problems with "permanent" overheating that only could be cured by going back to an older save game. From what I read this was a known issue on the PC version.

It forced me to go back to old saves several times because I accidentally quicksaved while in that state. It also forced me to restart the final battle two times.

I had problems with "permanent" overheating that only could be cured by going back to an older save game. From what I read this was a known issue on the PC version.

It forced me to go back to old saves several times because I accidentally quicksaved while in that state. It also forced me to restart the final battle two times.

Never seen that, despite playing it exclusively on the PC. Perhaps you got very unlucky.

Back
Top Bottom