Party-based TB fighting RPGs ?

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what games there were in a similar vein to Expeditions - Conquistador and Banner Saga where the game is mostly RPGey but with tactical turn based battles.

Blackguards isn't for me however, since the game is only about the battles really.

Any ideas?

Absolutely. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny remake.

Tons of RPG depth, first-person exploration and 3rd-person tactical battles. It's all patched up and ready to shine. :cool:

I think that's not sold anymore.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what games there were in a similar vein to Expeditions - Conquistador and Banner Saga where the game is mostly RPGey but with tactical turn based battles.

Blackguards isn't for me however, since the game is only about the battles really.

Any ideas?

Don't know, I tried the new Blackguard it wasn't bad. Just not my cup of tea. You might want to give it a try as it was better than the first one from what I played of it... about 6 hours.

A remake developed by the Austrian Crafty Studios and published by German United Independent Entertainment has been released on Steam on July 30, 2013.[1] As late as August 2013, the game contained so many bugs that many players considered it unplayable. The developer team's apology for the state of the remake was subject to much criticism.[2]

Hmmm. Doesn't sounds great...

I played it in an early stage. It had a game-breaking bug for me, and in the next patch it was fixed.

The game released in a poor state, but it was heavily patched, with bug-fixes galore and tons of new features and enhancements added as well.

The end result was a lot better than how it launched, for sure.

Found out it's available on Steam again. New patch with 160+ bugfixes and a free DLC coming. ETA unclear.

I should have bought it in that BundleStars pack for a couple of bucks.

Wow! Great find once again, Gorath. =)

160 minor fixes. Yikes! When I played it, I ran into several minor issues, but nothing severe except for the game-breaking bug. Once that was fixed I was able to continue and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Sounds like a great time to pick this back up and start a new playthrough when that patch hits. I'm telling you guys, it's a fun game with a lot of unique RPG elements.

Just remember to pack your bedrolls if you plan on hiking into the mountains during winter! :D

Is this remake playable nowadays?
I played it for 10 minutes at release and decided to play the original again...

The one single thing which I would suggest and which would likely perfectly fit into the category you look for is Halfway.

It is a rather short game ~15h, where you play a group of guys on a spaceship. These guys awake from their cryo sleep and find anything going havok on the ship. Companions zombiefied and the ship randomly jumping in the galaxy.

The combat is fun and maybe described as lightweight XCom Combat, though I liked it more than the new Firaxis XCom. You go through level by level, have optional levels you can do, e.g. to secure additional weapons and the story is spread nicely on the whole game: In between missions you can talk to your companions, but also within the missions there is a lot of dialogues, which however are all very short and to the point. So the average amount of text per fight, is just perfect. Also the story itself is great and very grounded. No "save the world" or "become a god!" scenario we see so often.
The character and item development could have been much better.
I did a German video review over here: Even if you don't understand a word, I think you'll get what it is about. ^^
It was one of the very few games which I finished and really thought "Yes, I want more of that!" also because the ending was great for my taste.

Back
Top Bottom