Dark Souls III - Thief Class

Aubrielle

Noveliste
GameSpot shows off some new video of the thief class from Dark Souls III.

Thanks to Couch for tonight's news.

More information.

This can't come soon enough for me. Played the beta a while back and the changes seemed to work well. Faster movement speed but it still felt much slower than bloodborne.

Already ordered my collectors edition for, well, collecting. A ps4 copy to play co-op with my brothers and a PC for my single player pleasure and hopefully some modding by Durante.

So I'm set all I need is for APRIL TO GET HERE and no delays.:)

Christ, these movement animations look bad. And they should have replaced that backstab mechanic by now.

I respectfully disagree on the backstab mechanic; I'm glad it is making a return to a more traditional look and feel as from the first game. Love the ol' Bandit knife! Whilst I won't be playing at release like Saki and other friends will, I'll be definitely getting this mid-late year and hope to write a similar impressions journal of the adventure on the 'Watch as I did with the previous two games. :)
Cute (or should I say Kawaii?) reception and reaction too on the part of the onlooker to a successful strike.

Christ, these movement animations look bad.

I agree. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the footage, along with the graphics just looking dated in general.

Maybe the video is just poor quality, but that doesn't even look like a PS4 game to me. If I didn't know better, I'd have guessed it was a last gen game.

I respectfully disagree on the backstab mechanic; I'm glad it is making a return to a more traditional look and feel as from the first game.

I think transition should feel more smooth and animation shortened, without fall to the ground and I-frames. For an action game, it would fit better and feel a lot more immersive, especially when you're facing more than one enemy.

I don't really consider the backstab overall as adding or removing immersion considering the nature of the game as a whole; i.e it is immersive enough on its own.

Also, I like that the impact for the backstab is heightened and that the player feels visually and aurally rewarded for making it happen. :) This was generally cut-back and not near as satisfying in the second game.

That said, I can understand your point of view, certainly, and from a pure logical game-play flow, it would make more sense for it to be shortened. I just like the sense of "time slowing down" and the deliciously visceral impact as it was delivered in the first game. :)

Last edited:
Pessimeister is a genius and you other 2 don't know anything about games at all because dark souls is perfect.;):lol:

Seriously though, I'm ecstatic that the original backstab is back, yes it's a bit gamey but I missed it in DS2. It gives a good impact and feel when you pull it off.

I agree the animations could be better and the graphics aren't top notch but I don't play the games for those things. Exploration, atmosphere, tension and great combat draw me in.

Pessimeister, +1 for the bandit knife. Played all of DS1 with it except for a few bosses that I just couldn't kill with it. Sneaking around and backstabbing in DS1 was a pure pleasure.

So, it looks like the Weapon Art for the Bandit Knife is a very low stamina cost "dodge" sidestep move and the shortbow fires 3 shots in rapid succession.

I agree. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the footage, along with the graphics just looking dated in general.

Maybe the video is just poor quality, but that doesn't even look like a PS4 game to me. If I didn't know better, I'd have guessed it was a last gen game.
Personally I don't care what the game looks like, it could look like it belongs on an Atari 2600 for all I care. It's all about the enjoyable gameplay for me and if this is anything like DS1 then it will have it truck loads.

Bring it on.

Back
Top Bottom