Lonewolf game book as a PC game

http://store.steampowered.com/app/279440/

This really came out of nowhere, has anyone tried it?

This really brings back memories. Lonewolf... I read my first book in the series when I was only five or six years old! I always looked for a game that would recapture the same feeling but never found it. It's actually what compelled me to read and interested me in fantasy and interactive fiction. Needless to say more than 25 years later I'm still hooked.

I really like the game and added it to the RPGWatch Steam Curation page already.

Where did that game come from suddenly?
Screenshots are not bad.

Is this true?
really only written for a touch screen device.

Or this?
I don't like doing mouse dragging Qte's, or mouse clicking rapidly in the one area to make a combat skill work.

This is in the game: Mouse dragging Qte's and mouse clicking rapidly in the one area to make a combat skill work. But it is well implemented for the PC and not really a problem. At least if you have a good gamer mouse.

Here's a Steam user review written by MrMuse:

Outstandingly realised conversion of an interactive gamebook. It does away with the old cumbersome "turn to page <whatever> to go left and <whatever> to go right" (unlike the inferior conversions of the Games Workshop titles) with nice use of a direction selecting map. The combat is difficult at first but satisfying as you progress and become used to the many variations on its time-based system. You actually feel as if you are becoming physically and mentally more skillful the more you play. Every stage of the game works on choices and consequences but you never feel as if you are bogged down or distracted by the medium itself. All the dice rolls etc. are handled and masked by the software in such a way that you realise what is going on but the sytem never intrudes on your immersion. It's difficult to imagine how a game of this nature could have been accomplished in a way to make it any better than it actually is. Equipment can be improved through crafting and is customisable in such a way that the new benefits are clearly understood and actively felt. I want more like this and as long as you can keep in mind that it IS a conversion of a set system you should love it. Get it. 97%

My take on it:
Compelling interactive book with challenging turn & time based combat. Lots of choices with consequences, nice crafting system, gritty story - Must Buy!

I really like the game and added it to the RPGWatch Steam Curation page already.

I wasn't sure if it was that good but if HiddenX likes it it must be decent so I'll try it out.

Man this will bring back memories... I really was five years old when I read this and barely knew how to read! The memories of then spending countless evenings at the library reading all the various gamebook series through the rest of my childhood and even reading gamebooks in class instead of listening to teachers... nothing to me can ever top that as far as gaming goes!

Here in Quebec we had France's "Un livre dont vous êtes le héros" series by Gallimard, which was incredible and was basically all the game books they could get their hands on and which they published under a single banner. They even published the manual for The Dark Eye under this name.

You do realise we have a thread in General on Gamebooks already? It would have been an especially apt place to have this kind of reflection. :)

I'm certainly going to pick this game up in the future. Speaking of Lone Wolf, I also bought the first two books in the World of Lone Wolf series "Grey Star the Wizard" and "The Forbidden City" recently. They're two of a slightly lesser known series of four books which introduces a new hero to readers and utlises a fairly interesting though relatively simple magic system via a willpower stat. I remember reading the first two in my late teens and enjoying them, so it'll be great to pick up the second two as well.

I can't stand gamebooks nowadays, they're far too simplistic and one Wong choucroute cab have you restant everything all over again. But they're certainly started a keen interest in interactive narratives for me.

Back
Top Bottom