Official D&D cRPG thread

Not if you want to get a german version; my brother is searching for a german players handbook that isn't totally overpriced for about 9 months now :)

Yes : That's exactly the problem.

Ah well, then that's a different matter… I'd be surprised if all the original materials were ever offered in German!

As far as I know they were even all translated.

On conventions I often see lots of books ... But right now I fear that they are mostly replaced with books of the 4th edition ...

But in the end I really can't say for sure - since I'm not that deep into (A)D&D at all.

Now my NWN1 hintbook has arrived.
I hope it gives me enough clues to understand the mechanics better ...
Unfortunately it encompasses only the OC ...

Ah, thanks. :)

I hope I'll have enough money for buying a players handbook or guide for the 3rd ot the 3.5th edition on the RPC in May … These books seem to have become quite expensive here …

What do you say, for which of both editions is it better to get a pen & paper book ?
For which edition have the most newer C-RPGs been made ?
And - do you believe I could really learn from these pen & paper books ? Which ones should I try ? Is there a Forgotten Realms book for pen & pper players which gives me a good overview ?

Besides : I just found again these days an official German-language Baldur's Gate cluebook/hintbook … It contains everything that's in the English game handbook as a standard, but was omitted for the German game handbook …

For the rules the SRD as linked is a good place, but the books are very nice as well. 3.5ed is the more logically consistent and balanced of the two, so while I still slightly prefer some 3.0 things, 3.5 is the edition I would recommend as a good one to keep using.

As far as CRPGs go though, it's not all that many - NWN2 was 3.5, but I don't think your gaming would be enhanced much by reading the rule books as most games make relatively substantial changes to the rules. 4th ed is probably the edition that set to be used for quite a few games as it's more CRPG friendly.

World-settings tend to add more in terms of lore, which I find enjoyable. Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting is a fantastic book, and although designed around 3.0ed it's basically still very useful as an immense description of Forgotten Realms at that period of time. Of course, the world setting has now evolved, so there's probably a 4th ed version in the pipeline if not already out.

The forgotten realms novels are pretty poor in general, but they can flesh out lore events a little bit sometimes. If you're playing older games then I found RA Salvatore's Icewind Dale trilogy added quite a lot (it's based in 2nd ed times, but I still found it added to games like NWN1). The writing is very simple but it can make for a light hearted read.

Ah, thanks again.
So far the only novel I bought and really read through is the official novel of Pools Of Radiance 2 : Ruins Of Myth Drannor by Carrie Bebris.
Edit : I also once read a "Dragonlance" novel, but I forgot its title.

I do know there's a huge number of (A)D&D-related novels, but I never could decide which ones would interest me …

You should read everything with Drizzt in it. Icewind Dale Trilogy , Dark elf trilogy ,Legacy of the Drow.

Than I would recommend "Curse of Azure bounds" a great D&D classic

Other than that most books suck. But they are D&D based so its like large +10 bonus

Last edited:
I'd start with the book Homeland in The Dark Elf Trilogy, and then continue on from there.

I liked the Dark Sun novels, but I didn't like the Dragonlance books at all.

I liked the Dark Sun novels, but I didn't like the Dragonlance books at all.

Same here. Dragonlance is written like 80s low budget fantasy flick.
Which may appeal nostalgia , especially by people who read it when they were young. But it just doesnt hold water today.

I was a great fan of Chronicles and Legends in my early teens.

I re-read both later, and Chronicles was crap. But Legends holds a special place in my heart :)

Probably because I used to consider Caramon/Raistlin somewhat analogous to the relationship between my brother and I.

Back
Top Bottom