Getting a PS3...

While i couldnt stand the game when i did have my ps3, DEMON SOULS is supposed to be good being GotY on a couple of sites.

Most people seem to either love Demon's souls or hate it, I fall somewhere in between. I thought it had a great atmosphere, but I really didn't have the patience for the ridiculous level of difficulty in some parts.

Question: Was the difficulty in Demon Souls due to DIAS (Do It Agains, Stupid!) or very, very bad camera/control setup? Most 3D Sonics and Spyro have the latter, while other games like GTA have the former.

Resident Evil 5 is good, but more for dedicated gamers. I suck miserably at it. But, it is still a good game, with solid controls and camera.

Question: Was the difficulty in Demon Souls due to DIAS (Do It Agains, Stupid!) or very, very bad camera/control setup?

Neither really, but if you find RE5 hard, then stay away from Demon's Souls.

There are some parts that definitely have that 'trial and error' feel, but mainly the game is just damn tough. The things that really got on my nerves though, were the fact that there is no manual save option, and dying means restarting at the very beginning of the level, with all enemies respawned. :-/

*Edit* Also, while RE5 is definitely one of the best titles for the PS3, I would recommend getting the PC version if you have at least a mid-high end system.

Last edited:
What i hate abotu demon souls is that there is no really good save or load feature.

It is like diablo where if you dy using your potions you lsoe them for good and there is no way getting back those 20 potions while fighting a boss. What makes it worse is that path you made from dead enemies is gone with more enemies spawned. Early in the game those potions cost so much to buy.

EDIT: That was what made it hard. Dotn get me started into the lack of rpg elements.

So it is a bit of DIAS, but some legitimate difficulty as well? (By that, I mean instead of cheap insta-kill attacks from bosses, it comes down to tactics and preparation).

Hmmm. I'll wait for it then. I'll accept a difficult RPG (actually, I prefer it) but for other games, I have a medium level of difficulty I prefer. Except Mega Man, which is hard as $#%! but some of the best platforming you can get, at least in the NES/SNES style games (Which includes the GBA Zero series).

So it is a bit of DIAS, but some legitimate difficulty as well? (By that, I mean instead of cheap insta-kill attacks from bosses, it comes down to tactics and preparation).

Hmmm. I'll wait for it then. I'll accept a difficult RPG (actually, I prefer it) but for other games, I have a medium level of difficulty I prefer. Except Mega Man, which is hard as $#%! but some of the best platforming you can get, at least in the NES/SNES style games (Which includes the GBA Zero series).

Yes. Except you find yourself dying a lot and having to do the whole thing over and over again. :S Especially on he high difficulty settings.

You especially cant expect to rush through any part of the game because every enemy can kill you or do a lot of damage.

I don't suppose Demon Souls has an "easy" setting, does it?

I don't mind hard games per se, but this kind of thing probably would make me stop playing:
The things that really got on my nerves though, were the fact that there is no manual save option, and dying means restarting at the very beginning of the level, with all enemies respawned.

Demon's Souls has a difficulty level directly related to your level of investment in the game.

It means you can master it if you're willing to sacrifice the time and effort.

That's kind of stating the obvious, isn't it?

I asked if there is an easy mode. I'm assuming the answer is no.

Demon's Souls has a difficulty level directly related to your level of investment in the game.
No offense DA but that's probably the *most* useless answer I've ever read.

I'm *very* interested in Demon's Souls but the commitment is daunting. My console time is pretty limited, so I'm not convinced this is worth it for me. I hate repeating the same content more than anything.

Maybe they'll still release a demo for DS... although it would probably already be out if they were going to.

The demo for Heavy Rain is scheduled for Feb 11th.

That's kind of stating the obvious, isn't it?

I asked if there is an easy mode. I'm assuming the answer is no.

I'm sorry if it was obvious, as it certainly wasn't obvious to me.

Most games these days don't require your full attention. Then there are very difficult games that don't play "fair" - which means trial and error over and over.

Demon's Souls plays "fair" - which means it's not really "difficult" if you dedicate yourself, because it doesn't backstab your efforts. But if you play it like a casual game, you're going to die again, again, and again. This takes some getting used to, because it's a console game and you're playing sitting on a couch - which generally means you expect a pleasant and comfortable experience. It's not really that.

But that's my interpretation of my experience with the game.

But no, it doesn't have an easy mode.

Thanks for explaining what you meant. I understand what you're saying now.

I prefer games that don't demand this level of focus and dedication, and I find it very frustrating to have a chunk of game progress wiped out, as JDR was describing. So I think I'll pass.

Thanks for explaining what you meant. I understand what you're saying now.

I prefer games that don't demand this level of focus and dedication, and I find it very frustrating to have a chunk of game progress wiped out, as JDR was describing. So I think I'll pass.

Based on this, I think you're right.

Even if I do enjoy a challenge, I can't claim to not have been frustrated with Demon's Souls. I think it's a brilliant game, but I don't often have the time and opportunity to really sink into it like it deserves.

I want to be 15 again :)

Back
Top Bottom