Celestian Tales - Gets Kicked Again

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Ekuator Games has contacted us about some updates that have been done for Celestian Tales. One of them being that they "scrapped its pixel-art tiled environments and substituted them with beautiful hand-drawn assets arranged in complex layers. Further enriched by particle effects and 3D sounds, the game doesn't attempt to remake a vintage style but to reimagine the classic as a modern game".

The other update is related to them re-launching the campaign on Kickstarter for funding as the first campaign failed. A sneak peak of that campaign can be found in the latest update of their old campaign page. They are asking for 10K less in that campaign.

More information.

I backed this game the first time around and will likely do so again. I'm sure some people here will be immediately be turned off by the JRPG style / aesthetic (And I admit I'm not crazy about Reed's character design, the blond spiky haired dude is a tired JRPG cliche). However, I think they're implementing some interesting mechanics in the battle system to keep things interesting and not fall into the trap of having all non-boss fights be boring (select normal attack over and over again won't work here). Moreover, I really love the idea that each character has a huge amount of backstory and side-quests, and we'll see them grow up, based on player decisions over the course of three decades. This is not a typical JRPG, with a linear story that the player has no control over; there's choice and consequence. Sounds like Growlanser and Chrono Trigger had a baby.

I'm not at all into JRPG, and so I like the new art style a lot better that the one from the previous campaign. Actually I'm thinking about backing this on the $10 tier.

I'm not turned off by blond spiky haired dudes style and other manga/anime stuff.
But by the platform.

I'm not turned off by blond spiky haired dudes style and other manga/anime stuff.
But by the platform.

Platform? It's being developed for PC / Mac / Linux. No mention of phones or tablets. So, what's the problem?

The just reached their funding goal with a whole three weeks left to work towards stretch goals. Wish all the KS projects I backed went this well.

Back
Top Bottom