Might and Magic VII Character Classes

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
With GoG releasing M&M 7 and 8 I thought it might be a good time to dust off M&M 7 and see if I could get it running on Windows7. Surprisingly I got it working without using dosbox with a few patches from this site.

The hardest part of M&M for me is choosing which character classes to play. I'm tempted to just play a stereotypical party consisting of a knight, thief, cleric and sorcerer. However that will mean only one of my characters will have body magic which, if I remember correctly, is a pain in the behind.

I've read a few faqs about the character classes and skills, but still would like to know what you guys think. I'm leaning towards swapping out the knight with a paladin, but that means that I won't be able to GM spear, sword and plate armor. In their place I will have body magic and GM in mace and shield.

Also I'm thinking about swapping thief with either an archer or ranger. People have said that monks are a good alternative, but I've never played a monk in any game except for Bard's Tale. The whole unarmed combat thing doesn't appeal to me at all.

Last on the list is swapping out either the cleric or sorcerer for a druid. On paper they are the jack of all trades when it comes to magic, but they have one ability that I would really like to have and that's GM in alchemy. Having the ability to make black potions makes up for any weakness, I would believe.

So here are my ideas:

Normal party:
Knight/Thief/Cleric/Sorcerer

More healing:
Paladin/Thief/Cleric/Sorcerer

More magic and perception:
Paladin/Archer/Cleric/Sorcerer

Weaker at the start:
Paladin/Thief/Druid/Sorcerer

or

Knight/Thief/Cleric/Druid

Last edited:
I went with the paladin/thief/cleric/sorcerer...think maybe I would trade the the theif for the archer....

I was thinking that as well for the master in the elemental magic and GM in bows.

One thing I don't remember is if stealing and disable traps are worth the price of having very little magic? On the flip side with the archer will expert level in disable traps be enough to get by?

I played this game a long time ago and can't remember very much of it other than those dang black potions were always calling for me :D Some games the traps are hardly noticeable and it's worthless to put any points into disable traps. In others it is an absolute must.

Plus, I can't remember stealing. Will the whole town go ballistic on me if I'm caught stealing? If so then it isn't really a needed skill. I absolutely hate having to reload if I'm caught stealing because the town has gone hostile. I liked Wizardry's way of dealing with stealing by just kicking me out of the shop and having the owner really P.O.ed with me so that I have to bribe my way back into his good graces. That is the perfect way to deal with the consequences of stealing. It's ridiculous to think that the player will continue playing a game in which he just killed the town. I'm sure there are people who enjoy that, but not me.

I went with Paladin/Archer/Cleric/Sorcerer

You can buy black potions by the time you can be GM in alchemy anyway. They spawn in Celeste or the Pit...
Paladin, who is a Villain now, has almost 500HP :)
Still need to do the last promotion quests for the other three though. I want to get my dark magic going :)

Archer can disarm most traps if you give him a few rings of disarm trap skill and otherwise, the cleric just heals all of them after the trap goes off...

I want my Lich !!!! Then I can kill everyone with magic :)

I've never finished the game and I do use some help on the internet if I can't find that one lever that I'm supposed to pull to get somewhere... I get annoyed at running in circles all the time to find one secret thing.

Like in the Temple of Light, there's a puzzle which I did correctly, but then you have to push somewhere else to get the door to open, which I had no idea about so I went online...

Druids RULE!! Best party is mage, cleric and 2 druids!! The others eventually get left WAY behind. I know Dte will likely disagree with me, he likes his pointy little sticks, but they don't do much damage in the later parts of the game IMHO!! :)

@Corwin: maybe my memory is wrong but aren't druids a bit nerfed in MnM VII compared to VI? I think they can't be grand masters in magical schools.

You're not wrong. Druids can only GM Alchemy and Learning. They can master all of the magic skills except for light and dark. They can't learn anything in light or dark.

That's the reason I decided against them even with GM in Alchemy. They just aren't worth it.

I decided to try out the all magical party with a paladin, archer, cleric and sorcerer because I couldn't remember for sure what happens when you're caught stealing. Plus having every character able to cast spells helps a lot. The paladin and archer won't be able to cast many of the higher level spells very often, but I can use them for normal buffs and being tanks while the cleric and sorcerer do the real damage.

I just wish I could make the sorcerer a lich and the cleric a Priest of Light. Having both light and dark magic would have been nice, but if I remember correctly once you choose light or dark all of the characters must follow that path.

Eh? So if you have both a sorcerer and a cleric in your party, you can only promote one of them?

Also, I never see anyone mention having a monk. From the description it sounds like it could be a cool addition to the party.

Btw: If you get caught stealing, you can't enter that shop for 24 hours. You also have to pay a fine at the town hall. If you try to enter a castle before paying the fine, the guards will take the money automatically, or throw you in jail if you don't have the money.

Thanks for the tip about stealing.

From what I recall once you choose which path you'll follow then all of the characters can only follow that path. So I can have a lich and a priest of darkness or an archmage and a priest of light.

I may be wrong, but it seems right. I vaguely remember two things that bugged me. One was not being able to make black potions and the other was having to choose light or dark. I guess it makes sense in a roleplaying way. You'd hardly have a lich traveling around with a priestess of light unless it was Raistlin and Crysania ;)

@Plaido I just realized your avatar is from the box of Might and Magic VII. I have the manual staring me in the face on my desk and thought that dwarf looked a little familiar. Nice avatar.

I hate monks. It's irrational, but I'll be damned if I ever play a characters whose silly fists are stronger than forged metal blessed by the gods :D

Hey are you guys using Grayface's patch with the mouselook? I was just wondering how well it works, and whether or not you think it's a worthy addition to the gameplay.

I just installed M&M I-VI from GOG. I have original versions, but I didn't feel like fighting with Windows 7 64bit. Question: Is there supposed to be BGM in M&M VI?

Click the link in my first post for the patch that fixes M&M 7. It works just fine with my windows 7 64 OS. I didn't notice any weirdness with my mouse.

I also have the gog M&M 1 - 6, but haven't really played those yet.

What is BGM?

So you're not using mouselook then? I hate having to tap delete and pgdown to look up and down.

BGM= Background music. All sounds and voices are working fine, but I don't remember if there's supposed to be BGM when you're just walking around.

*Edit* Yep, there's definitely supposed to be BGM. I just downloaded the soundtrack from GOG, and it's pretty awesome. Now I need to figure out why it's not playing in the game.

Last edited:
Yeah, mouselook works awesome...playing without is a huge pain in th A.

With GoG releasing M&M 7 and 8 I thought it might be a good time to dust off M&M 7 and see if I could get it running on Windows7. Surprisingly I got it working without using dosbox with a few patches from this site
These two are not DOS based so no need for DosBox. Also patches on that site are old. Use these from Grayface
http://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm

Yep, there's definitely supposed to be BGM. I just downloaded the soundtrack from GOG, and it's pretty awesome. Now I need to figure out why it's not playing in the game.
Music does not work properly on win7
http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10985
http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11556

So you're not using mouselook then? I hate having to tap delete and pgdown to look up and down.

BGM= Background music. All sounds and voices are working fine, but I don't remember if there's supposed to be BGM when you're just walking around.

*Edit* Yep, there's definitely supposed to be BGM. I just downloaded the soundtrack from GOG, and it's pretty awesome. Now I need to figure out why it's not playing in the game.

BGM works fine, but I'm not using the GoG version. I still have the CD version which I just dusted off after a long hiatus. Not sure why it's not working for yours, but it is pretty good :)

I'm not using mouselook. You can change the keybindings in the controls. I changed the movement to the normal A,W, S, D and look up and down to q and e.

I'm not using mouselook. You can change the keybindings in the controls. I changed the movement to the normal A,W, S, D and look up and down to q and e.

Unfortunately you can't do that in M&M VI.

Installed Grayface's patch, but I can't figure out how to get mouselook to work.

I just found out that music is included in the GOG version (M&MVI) btw. It's in mp3 format in the Sounds folder. I had to create a Music folder in the main directory and copy the files there.

Now I have music, but it's way too loud. Even with the slider at the lowest setting, it's overwhelming compared to the volume for sounds and voices. I just can't win. :mad:

I've installed the grayface patch and I like the mouselook. But now caps lock toggles between mouselook mode and normal mode. Before the patch, the caps lock key toggled between walk and run.

Does anyone know how to toggle between walk and run without having to constantly press the shift key to run?

You should be able to set AlwaysRun=1 in the ini file, and then you'll run by default.

Was mouselook enabled as soon as you installed the patch? I still can't get it to work in M&M VI. What OS are you using?

Back
Top Bottom