Gamasutra - P.T., Gaming History and the Self-Serving Crusades

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Felipe Pepe - editor of the upcoming CRPG book - has published a long rant at Gamasutra:

DISCLAIMER: This wasn't an easy article to write, and it's definitely not a pleasant article to read. But sometimes we must go through unpleasant things, to challenge our convictions, make us reflect upon our actions and hopefully emerge better. This is my sincere intent.
Some snippets:

We are losing content

A game is much more expressive than an interview, I agree. So here's a near-catastrophe that affected thousands of games but didn't get even 1/100th of the attention P.T. got in the past weeks.

Do you recall Neverwinter Nights? No, not the 1991 MMO – that one very few recall despite being such a historical landmark. I'm talking about the 2002 RPG by the same name, from BioWare, that came with the Aurora Toolset, allowing players to create their own adventures. It was extremely popular at the time, and where many developers and modders cut their teeth at game design.

The toolset was more acessible than that of Skyrim and other modern mod tools, so it had a huge, varied and friendly community gathered at the official community website, the IGN-hosted NWN Vault. There they hosted thousands of modules, art assets, pre-made characters, maps, comics, fan-fiction, contests and even interview with module creators.

People created some really high-quality adventures that rivaled with retail games. The Shadow Hearts campaign, for example, won multiple awards and is now being developed into a full game, currently on Steam Greenlight. And things got even bigger when Neverwinter Nights 2 was released, bringing even more content & fans to the vault.

Well, here's all the content of the NWN Vault today:

pGqPOSn.jpg
(...)

Take Matt Barton, for example. The guy runs a YouTube channel about gaming history, currently with 292 videos - most of those are long, detailed interviews with developers of classic games. Industry personalities such as John Romero, Brian Fargo and Richard Garriott, as well as legends now forgotten, like Joel Billings - founder of SSI, one of the largest game publishers in the 80's.

There's no other source for all the information his channel holds, for all the exclusive interviews – and it's all licensed under Creative Commons. Matt will undoublty be a hero to future historians. Currently, however, his channel has 12,988 subscribers, and each video averages on about 5-6k views. Since 2009 he got 1,973,887 views over 292 videos.

There are days-old Garry's Mod videos with more views than that. The average PewDiePie video gets that in a couple of hours. I won't even mention Minecraft videos.

More information.

Well there's something I haven't thought about at all. Probably should have, too, given how often I'm looking up game information on Wikipedia and such.

I didn't know FelipePepe is Brazilian. I thought out he was from Portugal.

By the way, nice work FelipePepe! I downloaded an early version of your book and it is really good! I hope you can succesfully finish your work, always keeping quality.

Last edited:
I likely fall in the "I don't really care whether GameA is preserved" camp. Media really has to impact you in a meaningful way for you to lament its loss and nothing in the digital age has really accomplished that for me.

There is one exception though and that's the sudden closure of City of Heroes; but that's not necessarily because it was a game of outstanding quality, but rather because it was (and still is) unique and nothing really compares to this day.

Oh well. Life goes on. Culture disappears all around us every day; it's not limited to digital media licensing.

I'd probably care more about this kind of thing if life wasn't so terribly short and I didn't feel the obsession with history and culture locks us down and holds us back a lot more than it helps us.

It's human nature to want what we can't have - and that's really the heart of wanting to preserve everything we could potentially, one day, want to spend 5 minutes reminiscing about before we got back to the present.

In short, by all means preserve these mods - but let's keep our perspective, please.

Personally, I don't care much about gaming history. I understand that this guy who wrote the article is passionate about it, but to me, it isn't that interesting. The most important stuff is already well known, going back to the 70s when D&D was created by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, which basically started everything in fantasy gaming, eventually leading to computer rpgs and so on… And that history is well preserved at places like wikipedia, the internet's encyclopedia, so we don't have to worry about it being lost.

Besides the fact that I grew up during that "golden era", and started playing D&D as a teenager in the early 80s, I don't have much of an interest in the history of gaming. I agree that gaming is an art form, and is capable of being as important as other art forms such as literature and cinema, but it is not the end all and be all of life, and we should keep a proper perspective.

History has always proven to be a burden too heavy for man to carry.

history is well preserved at places like wikipedia, the internet's encyclopedia, so we don't have to worry about it being lost.
Wikipedia sources articles, and those articles are vanishing. Without those, all you have is a long game of telephone, where anyone can edit the information.

Hardly something I feel safe about, reason why I'm editing a book, not a website.

Besides the fact that I grew up during that "golden era", and started playing D&D as a teenager in the early 80s, I don't have much of an interest in the history of gaming. I agree that gaming is an art form, and is capable of being as important as other art forms such as literature and cinema, but it is not the end all and be all of life, and we should keep a proper perspective.
Your own perspective seems to be "already lived through it, don't care".

Which is fair for you, but what happens to the new generations? Do you realize that InXile is gonna kickstart Bard's Tale IV today, yet we have no means of playing the original games besides buying decade-old boxes on eBay for a fortune (and finding a USB floppy reader) or being pirates? Is this acceptable, just because you already played those?

I took a course last year on movie criticism. It began at the very start, with stuff like "Fred Ott's Sneeze" and "Trip to the Moon". I'm talking about pieces over 100 years old, that look ridiculous today. Yet they are what led us to this day.

What are they gonna show when talking about gaming history 100 years from now? Super Mario Bros., because everything else was lost?

Wikipedia sources articles, and those articles are vanishing. Without those, all you have is a long game of telephone, where anyone can edit the information.

Hardly something I feel safe about, reason why I'm editing a book, not a website.

Your own perspective seems to be "already lived through it, don't care".

Which is fair for you, but what happens to the new generations? Do you realize that InXile is gonna kickstart Bard's Tale IV today, yet we have no means of playing the original games besides buying decade-old boxes on eBay for a fortune (and finding a USB floppy reader) or being pirates? Is this acceptable, just because you already played those?

I took a course last year on movie criticism. It began at the very start, with stuff like "Fred Ott's Sneeze" and "Trip to the Moon". I'm talking about pieces over 100 years old, that look ridiculous today. Yet they are what led us to this day.

What are they gonna show when talking about gaming history 100 years from now? Super Mario Bros., because everything else was lost?

What possible use will the new generations have for this ancient crap? They won't be spending much time playing these games, that's for sure.

Sure, it's interesting to know from where games evolved - but that's it. A lot of things are interesting.

There's a reason we evolved beyond the movies you're talking about. Today, no sane person is going to sit down and be entertained by them, apart from the "interesting" nature of where it started.

Maybe the present and the future is what people should focus on.

I mean, I'm fine with the concept of preserving the past for knowledge and science, but let's not overstate the importance of ancient movies and games.

He is not the first tio fear an age of digital demencia.

His rant about "we are losing information" is very, very seriously carried forward by Librarians. Seriously.

to pressure against the preservation of video games

As I said so often : Video games cease to exist as "games" - they have become mere tools for generating profits. No more "games".

If they had been games, then companies would show interest in en-joying them. Notice the word "joy".

They just don't want people to feel joy.
They want people to pay.

An d pray that this fire won't catch over into other areas of our living - they'll make us pay.
Most definitively. Because the hunger for wealth - for profits, for money - is never quenched.
It goes on forever.
It is called "greed".

I enjoyed reading the blog post and normally with such long articles I only skim-read over it. So thumbs up for that.

However I am with the majority here. I don’t really care for or think about video game preservation a lot. And I also somewhat think that most of the interesting stuff is actually well preserved. Maybe not really everything in detail, but chances are, that I wouldn’t have checked these things anyways.
I can understand that something like that is frustrating for a reporter / editor. And this also reflects in this blog post. However Felipepe merges his own perspective a bit with “what is generally good for human kind”. I mean, yeah, we might not care too much, but that’s not because we are ignoring that this could lead to the end of the world. What would be Felipepes nightmare (that some of the oldest designers die and some of their oldest records vanish) would not even be noticed by most of us. So it’s hard to motivate people to act differently.
It actually might be pretty similar to climate change where the “bad stuff” is not really affecting us right now, but might affect people’s lives drastically in the future. Just with the big difference, that with gaming history it will just be sad or disappointing in the future to not have really everything left. But it’s not like anything really bad will happen. Like it is sad for us now, that the Vikings didn’t write down all their stories and sagas. But besides of historians it’s not really affecting us too much. Lots of people might not even know about the lack of documents in this area.
Of course this might also tilt the picture. Like mentioned here in this thread it might give glory to some games, and give some mythical aura to some others, like with the Vikings, “this mythical game we know the name and its influence, but nothing else about”
And while I agree that it’s sad to see stuff getting lost, I wouldn’t go out and ask people to get up and do something against something, which probably doesn’t really interest them.

I remember that a couple of years ago, I listened to a podcast-interview with Richard Garriott, but the site which did the podcast went down after just a few episodes. So when I wanted to show it to a friend, it was already gone. But I didn’t really think like “these bastards! Why didn’t they preserve this?” (exaggerated), I was just disappointed that it was gone. In that case I was lucky as I still had it on my hard drive and uploaded it for the friend (those interested can find it here. But I didn’t think about making it available as a good deed to human kind, and besides of the friend I didn’t really show it around a lot.

Another good example is that just before reading this blog post I discovered that “Die Höhlenwelt-Saga – Der leuchtende Kristall” is apparently a pretty cool Adventure of the 90s and I checked how to get it. Well GOG doesn’t offer it and will never offer it as it is German only. But you can get second hand versions via amazon.de and ebay, not really cheap but there is a way (besides of pirating / abandonware)
It’s not as ideal as having the game on gog, sure. But I just accepted it as it is how it is. I didn’t come to my mind that this could be the first step towards the end of the world as we know it. ;)

So personally I think it’s good that people are so interested into that, that they gather stuff and preserve it, and I am interested to read and watch some of it. But I don’t feel an urge to contribute to that myself.

-Kordanor, who instead preserves almost every hour of his gametime by recording it

As a die-hard game collector and historian I agree 100% with Felipe. Thank you for this article.

One older but very popular game I'm a fan of received the same treatment as NWN from its publisher. They took down servers with custom content and in addition they completely stopped selling it in order to force potential buyers to buy the newer game instead of that one. I was not happy.

I dislike when companies start behaving like that publisher, not caring that they hurt people who still play their game. But as for other worries of the author, in all areas of life information gets rapidly lost. It is the nature of digital knowledge, so what can ever be done about it?

Philistine
/ˈfɪlɪˌstaɪn/
noun
a person who is unreceptive to or hostile towards culture, the arts, etc; a smug boorish person

philistine
[fil-uh-steen, -stahyn, fi-lis-tin, -teen]
Spell Syllables
Synonyms Word Origin
noun
(sometimes initial capital letter) a person who is lacking in or hostile or smugly indifferent to cultural values, intellectual pursuits, aesthetic refinement, etc., or is contentedly commonplace in ideas and tastes.

In the fields of philosophy and æsthetics, the term philistinism describes the social attitude of anti-intellectualism that undervalues and despises art, beauty, spirituality, and intellect; ‘the manners, habits, and character, or mode of thinking of a philistine’.[1] A philistine person is the man or woman who is smugly narrow of mind and of conventional morality whose materialistic views and tastes indicate a lack of and indifference to cultural and æsthetic values.[2]
Since the 19th century, the contemporary denotation of philistinism, as the behaviour of ‘ignorant, ill-behaved persons lacking in culture or artistic appreciation, and only concerned with materialistic values’ derives from Matthew Arnold’s adaptation to English of the German word Philister — as applied by university students in their antagonistic relations with the townspeople of Jena, Germany, where, in 1689, a row resulted in several deaths. In the aftermath, the university cleric addressed the town-vs-gown matter with an admonishing sermon ‘The Philistines be upon thee’, drawn from the Book of Judges (Chapter 16, ‘Samson vs the Philistines’), of the Tanakh and of the Christian Old Testament.[3]

So in summary:
The evolution of ideas and design are interesting and useful to study in terms of games. But it is an increasingly futile goal as more and more content gets lost and the audience fails to appreciate whats come before. Meanwhile the industry itself seeks to sabotage the past for the newest product while hiding behind nebulous organisations like the ESA.

That is a sentiment that I can only agree with. Only by knowing where we've been can we know where we're going. For example Command and conquers drag to select multiple units innovation only occurred because they were informed by the design limitations inherent to Dunes single select mechanic. But if those games had been ten years apart would that have happened? What if Dune 2 was now largely forgotten?

That is a sentiment that I can only agree with. Only by knowing where we've been can we know where we're going. For example Command and conquers drag to select multiple units innovation only occurred because they were informed by the design limitations inherent to Dunes single select mechanic. But if those games had been ten years apart would that have happened? What if Dune 2 was now largely forgotten?

It doesn't matter if people have access to ancient games.

What matters is what people do with what they have access to.

If a game is great fun - someone will learn from it. If it's a success, then business people will learn from it.

As long as people are passionate about gaming, great games will be developed.

I'd rather people create games from their own vision - based on what they've learned is fun - than go back in time and research a game from so many years ago. If they're passionate, they'll already know about great old games - and they'll already know how to improve them.

It's a natural process, and we'll always find a way of preserving the things that matter.

But obsessing over it like we're going to lose out on something magical if we don't strive to preserve every bit of data is ludicrous. It's this kind of black and white mindset that makes us waste a tremendous amount of time and effort doing something for absolutely minimal gain.

I'm all for preservation of culture and history - but ONLY if the cost is worth it, and only if we can't find better things to do with those resources.

Culture and history are chains and they put people and art into categories where they don't belong. Culture divides us all and takes away our individual identities. History stunts our imagination and our growth. For whatever reason, people can't go beyond what's happened before - and I think that's holding us back in a very big way.

Why can't we learn from our past without being imprisoned by it? Fretting over what's come and gone is such a waste of our all too short lives.

Back
Top Bottom